Need info:GIO GRG140 basswood vs mahogany/psnd vs stds pickups-worth the extra price? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Need info:GIO GRG140 basswood vs mahogany/psnd vs stds pickups-worth the extra price?

Hello, I'v been looking at Ibanez GRG140 models (as it's just about what my remaining budget allows) and wanted to buy the White model which is basswood and has psnd pickups but the 30$ more expensive SB model (which I like less visually) has stds pickups and a mahogany body. I already asked about the pickups in the appropriate section, here I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these models and if the mahogany body will make any difference given it's a budget guitar. I also read stds are better pickups than psnd but I wonder if they really are and by how much.

I can't post links yet or I would to these models. I watched some YT videos but they don't help much, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM

Re: Need info:GIO GRG140 basswood vs mahogany/psnd vs stds pickups-worth the extra pr

Tbh I would advice you save up for a better guitar.
Both guitars you mentioned sound really awful also you're getting a guitar with a resale value of next to nothing, when you're looking at a guitar at that price there's not much you can say about the wood or the pickups, a swap won't do much for you either.
I've played both and my advice is: Keep saving up, it's really hard sometimes, I Know that of course you want to jump right in and get the looks, I know that kind of excitement, but trust me, save up and get a guitar that's a bit more expensive (whether its an Ibanez or some other brand), that way as you progress through your guitar journey/start playing live/get a better ear for tone you won't be stuck with something you won't want to play anymore
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Need info:GIO GRG140 basswood vs mahogany/psnd vs stds pickups-worth the extra pr

I think there's been a slight misunderstanding. My ''guitar journey'' started 11 years ago and I've since played a dozen different guitars including live but my main one at home for practice and even recording has always my been first one (what can I say, I get attached to these things haha), a cheap cherry sunburst strat copy of an unknown make - well, the cheapest kind. And I got some great tones out of that just by using a Roland Cube 30 amp and a Zoom g2.1 FX pedal. Unfortunately I cannot post links yet or I would. But the electronics have gone to s**t (only two pickup positions work, pickups emit too much buzz, tone controls don't work, the neck is a bit busted already, etc)

Problem is I just spent 500$ on a zoom g3x and a Vintage VS6 (SG copy, a 300$ guitar with a 600$ worth in sound and build quality, it beats the crap out of Epiphone G-400 which is a lot more expensive) however, after 11 years of playing only strats (live I played actual strats) I've realized Gibson style just isn't for me. Don't like the neck, the feel, etc. It's just too easy to play. Now that was a ''jump into it for the looks'' kinda thing because I can only order guitars at the moment (I'm too far located from a guitar shop due to work) and not try them out in a shop, as the VS6 vintage white is a beauty.

So the grg140 series falls just into my remaining budget. And I don't see why one of these would make me want to stop playing if a cheap ass strat copy didn't. I also don't see how they sound really awful. Because I can't post links I'll say just this, go to YouTube type in ''ibanez grg140'' and open a video titled: ''Ibanez(아이바네즈) GRG 시리즈 - GRG140 '' it's 4:10 long and a cover of Andy Timmons song Electric Gypsy. How does that sound awful? Especially after he cranks it up a bit past the 3 minute mark or so? Also open a video called ''racing memories - bernd kiltz (old version) '' , 3:56 minutes long. Different style this time, instrumental metal, really tasteful melodic playing and the tone is just great. It sounds nicely rounded and full, with just enough bite, maaaaybe slightly ''creamy'' in some leads.

So either my ear for tone isn't as good as I think or these guitars can definitely sound pretty damn good in the right hands with the right equipment.

In any case, thanks for your reply but I need a more concrete answer than ''save up for a better guitar''. Already got a better one and if I'll ever save up on a guitar it will be for a Ritchie Blackmore Signature model (the older version with black pickups not the newer one) Fender Strat, not an Ibanez.

So I await if anyone has any info, especially on these Ibanez pickups. I'll probably end up picking up the SB if I don't get any info, even though the white model sounds pretty decent too. There's some guy on youtube doing Steve Vai covers and a few others on it and he makes it sound not awful as well.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 120

Is there a reason why you may be adverse to buying a used guitar? For the same money you can probably get yourself a much better one that will serve you a lot better than a Gio series Ibanez.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Is there a reason why you may be adverse to buying a used guitar? For the same money you can probably get yourself a much better one that will serve you a lot better than a Gio series Ibanez.
Good question. Never been a fan of that idea (don't like guitars that have been played a lot by other people) but not against it. What would you suggest in this price range?

Btw, I've got an opportunity to buy another GIO type guitar, a limited edition GFR20GSP-BKF. Costs the same as GRG140. It's got two Classic Elite (H) pickups which Ibanez uses on their more expensive Artcore hollow body models and the Destroyer model among others so they can't be that bad I reckon. I saw a clip on youtube from some Korean review and around 6 minute he kick in the distortion and the guitar sounds damn good. I reckon it could be a good budget balance between a heavier humbucker sounding guitar with a slim Ibanez neck and playability closer to a strat.

I just wonder what the playability is like on the lower frets compared to a Strat since it's got a different body shape - a telecaster type body - and I'm not really familiar with those...but there's pretty much no reviews so I guess not a lot of people own this model and I doubt I'll get an answer to that.

EDIT: One reviewer on YT said the GFR20GSP is better than the Cort MBC-1 which costs like 3 times more. But I see there is a strong negative hate bias towards the GIO series (and from some of the clips I've seen online, it's not really justified, some models are crap, some seem really good and a bargain) on the internet so it's impossible to get an objective response. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get to a shop to try it out for myself.

Last edited by whitewolf; 01-29-2016 at 09:40 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, now I understand why people crap on the GIO series. Just watched a bunch of Yamaha Pacifica 112J clips, it's only 50$ more than GRG140 but sounds like it's 500$ more. Some say they have Yamaha pickups some say its seymour duncan (doubt it) but whatever it is I think for a Strat type guitar I'll just go with that. Ibanez probably has a faster neck and better playability for my style as such, but I'll go with what sounds better.

But if I ever want a H-H pickup configuration on a budget the GIO GFR20GSP-BKF seems like the best thing in it's price range for sure.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

So small update, first I decided to get the Yamaha Pacifica 112V (With Alnico pickups instead of stock like on the 112J) but I've decided to ''break the bank'' and go for a Fender Squier Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster for 400$ with the Duncan Designed™ SC-101 pickups. Its got raving reviews and sounds like the real deal (as in it sounds as good as the 1000$ RB Fender Signature to my ears), plus I get to look like Blackmore and it doesn't get cooler, lol.

Well, this thread is resolved. And Humb, you were right. Better to either save up or go for something better than keep on going with these low-end models after 11 years of playing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
So small update, first I decided to get the Yamaha Pacifica 112V (With Alnico pickups instead of stock like on the 112J) but I've decided to ''break the bank'' and go for a Fender Squier Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster for 400$ with the Duncan Designed™ SC-101 pickups. Its got raving reviews and sounds like the real deal (as in it sounds as good as the 1000$ RB Fender Signature to my ears), plus I get to look like Blackmore and it doesn't get cooler, lol.

Well, this thread is resolved. And Humb, you were right. Better to either save up or go for something better than keep on going with these low-end models after 11 years of playing.
Great decision whitewolf. It MUST tell you something when you come on to an Ibanez fan site and EVERYONE tell you to stay away from a certain model.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post

Hey man!
Yeah that guitar is awesome, one of my mates plays one and he sure gets incredible tones, must be the Duncan designed pickups!
Let me apologize because I made a huge mistake, since GIOs are entry level guitars I thought you were going for your first guitar or something (really really silly of me!), anyways, glad I was able to help you out.
I've been busy these days because I finally got an RG 1XXV in fluorescent pink and I couldn't login, I'm having it set up so I'll have it back by tomorrow and post pictures (you should too!).
Enjoy your new guitar man.

Tags
grg140 , mahogany basswood , stds vs psnd pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode