Need a little help. Original Edge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Need a little help. Original Edge

So my guitar is setup perfectly bridge is flush nut is tight, saddles are tight, intonation screws are tight, Lubes the knife Edges with Vaseline. When I do a Dive Bomb and let the bridge return to neutral the tuning is perfect (Checked with a tuner) But when I pull up all the strings are slightly sharp and I do mean slightly not audibly really but a little bit off on the tuner. Have a really good tuner btw. I read something on Ibanezrules that rich said.. He had noted that almost all bridges will have the high neutral and low neutral tuning thing... So the way he explained it sounded like if you pull up with everything locked down the guitar will go ever so slightly sharp on all strings, you unlock the nut retune to perfect re lock nut and pull up and it returns perfectly but then you dive bomb and now it goes slightly flat until you pull the bar up.. So I think you guys will understand the rest without me explaining. Anyway is this reasonable for most/all floating trems... For them to either return slightly sharp or slightly flat depending on wither or not you have it setup "Neutral sharp" or "Neutral Flat"? So I can always expect some fluctuation be it pretty damn small? Or should the trem come back to "Perfect pitch" and I don't mean audibly but on a really expensive tuner? Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Re: Need a little help. Original Edge

How broken in are the strings? if the strings aren't properly stretched to start with, pulling up on the bar will continue to stretch them, which will throw your tuning out slightly. Also, how are the springs setup? Are they new or old? I've had a few older guitars where the springs had lost their recoil and wouldn't return to zero even with the strings stretched properly. Changing or reconfiguring the springs has helped fix that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Guitar is brand new, kinda why I'm scratching my head.

Last edited by Charleszw; 12-21-2016 at 03:57 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleszw View Post
So my guitar is setup perfectly bridge is flush nut is tight, saddles are tight, intonation screws are tight, Lubes the knife Edges with Vaseline. When I do a Dive Bomb and let the bridge return to neutral the tuning is perfect (Checked with a tuner) But when I pull up all the strings are slightly sharp and I do mean slightly not audibly really but a little bit off on the tuner. Have a really good tuner btw. I read something on Ibanezrules that rich said.. He had noted that almost all bridges will have the high neutral and low neutral tuning thing... So the way he explained it sounded like if you pull up with everything locked down the guitar will go ever so slightly sharp on all strings, you unlock the nut retune to perfect re lock nut and pull up and it returns perfectly but then you dive bomb and now it goes slightly flat until you pull the bar up.. So I think you guys will understand the rest without me explaining. Anyway is this reasonable for most/all floating trems... For them to either return slightly sharp or slightly flat depending on wither or not you have it setup "Neutral sharp" or "Neutral Flat"? So I can always expect some fluctuation be it pretty damn small? Or should the trem come back to "Perfect pitch" and I don't mean audibly but on a really expensive tuner? Thanks in advance guys.
You have it backwards, you want it in perfect tune after dive only. There will usually/mostly be a little sharp after a pullup, back in tune when you dive. There's nothing wrong with your guitar, it's acting as it should.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You have it backwards, you want it in perfect tune after dive only. There will usually/mostly be a little sharp after a pullup, back in tune when you dive. There's nothing wrong with your guitar, it's acting as it should.
So thats absolutely normal? When I dive bomb its in PERFECT tune everytime, when I pull up on the bar its ever so slightly sharp until I divebomb again? Thats right? Thats normal so to speak I guess?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Vendor

Correct
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Correct
Ok last thing I'll bug you with and God I appreciate you posting, you're the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to guitars. So the Original Edge Tremolo is one of my most favorite tremolos, from what I'm told looking at the knife edge rectangle on the side is not always a good indicator that it is flush. I kinda look at 3 different things to make sure its flush I have my trem lowered to the point where all I can see is the top line of that rectangle and that is a perfectly straight line I would think. I also look at the long intonation screws sicking out the back and make sure they look even and like they are flush and pointing straight back, and I look at the top of the trem at the saddles to make sure it looks flat. If you have a good picture you could link me too thats be great. But as best I can tell and from the way its preforming its flush. And from all the pictures I've seen its flush to the best of my ability's anyway.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Vendor

Stop listening to the noise. The knife edge is the only guide you need.

Tags
issues , original edge , sharp , slightly , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode