Need a new guitar. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Need a new guitar.

Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy my second guitar. I have 700 max.

I want to play metal stuff, but some softer stuff too.

I'm not sure if I want an Ibanez or not, so I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Not sure which brand at all. Fender, Ibanez, PRS, Schecter, Musicman.

I'm not sure what kind of bridge I want. I've never had a floating kinda bridge like a Floyd Rose, so I'm not sure if I want one. I have a Stratocaster atm with regular fixed bridge. Which do you think I should have?

I don't like spikey shaped guitars like BC Rich Warlocks, so nothing like that please.

So far I've seen the Ibanez RG1451 Prestige, Sterling by Musicman JP50. I like that sort of style, usually with a spikey-ish headstock and a superstrat kinda style.

Someone recommend me a nice new guitar.

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Need a new guitar.

rg1421 would be my suggestion for you, used ofc. that 1451 looks pretty up your alley too
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM

rg1451. definately. that sterling is just a cheapo JP. its like Epiphone to Gibson or LTD to ESP or Squire to Fender, etc. etc. etc. however the 1451 is a japanese made prestige ready to play better than any of those other brands "cheap versions". so you know my vote. better guitar for a great price, how can you lose? oh, and the tight end bridge is AWESOME!! great sustain with extreme comfort
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 AM

If you could get an extra bit if cash you could get a Rasmus by Suhr? Or how about a Charvel?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM

That's funny guys

He says he doesn't know what he wants, if he wants a trem or not, he wants to play metal but also other stuff he is not even sure if he wants an Ibanez or not

And the answer is "the 1411 is right up your alley " ?? Based on what ? How about OP makes up his mind and gives some more info than i have 700 max.

There are approx 1/2 million guitars fitting in that cat
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Well what else can I tell you?

I'm not that experienced with different brands and there's not really anywhere that I can go to try them.

Probably as thin a neck as possible, comfortable and fast.

Last edited by DreadAlert; 03-28-2011 at 10:54 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

You should try the Super V for your strat.... No routing or anything and performs just as well as a floyd. Throw in some dimarzios hs's and there ya go
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
tyg

you like a superstrat body with a spikeyish headstock and not sure what if you want fixed or tremolo. I suggest buying a used Ibanez RG550 or RG570. Superstrat body with spikey headstock and you wont have to spend 700 on it. With the money you save you could install a Tremolo-no, that way if you don't like the tremolo you can change it to a fixed or dive only bridge. and with the rest of the money you save you can buy new pickups to customize your sound. Also how do you like the neck on your Guitar, Do you prefer a fatter neck or a thinner neck???
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

What are the advantages of Floating bridge over fixed bridge? Because I dont want to be changing parts, I want to just get what I want to play.

And I prefer a thinner neck simply for comfort and playability.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Floating bridge is all about Steve Vai and Van Halen... alll that wanga wanga stuff... that's floating bridge. Fixed bridge is more (or less) everything else that doesn't go wanga wanga, Malmsteen, and lots of metal

Gosh what a bad explanation....

Guess the best is to go to youtube and look for floating bridge and fixed bridge. There's no real advantage.... its about personal taste. I must say that a floating bridge needs more care and if you don't like fiddling with the guitar, then fixed is what you want.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Alright then, yeah. Fixed bridge, thin neck, superstrat with spikey headstock like ESP, Ibanez, Dean, Schecter.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 PM

rg1451 dude. however, dont say no to a tremol-no just yet. all it is is a different trem spring claw. look up how to install one on youtube and youll seriously like it. i absolutely love mine and wih i had one on every guitar. and even if you keep it in fixed bridge mode forever, it still a fixed bridge with a locking nut and fine tuners. thats some serious tuning stability
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Gah, I want to get into using a floating trem, because there are so many guitars with them. I don't want to be limited to just fixed bridges.

Know any good floating bridged guitars for 700?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadAlert View Post
Gah, I want to get into using a floating trem, because there are so many guitars with them. I don't want to be limited to just fixed bridges.

Know any good floating bridged guitars for 700?
Dude.... you have to narrow that down a bit. I know you want a pointy super strat.... and MAYBE a trem. but to list all 945 guitars that fall into that category will be at the very least, time consuming.

Name a couple of brands you like.......colors, pickup configuration (H-H, H-S-H, H-S-S, S-S-S......) Do you like rosewood, maple, or ebony fretboards?? 22 or 24 frets?? active or passive pickups?? Do you like pickguards?? trim rings?? solid mount pickups??

Help us help you!!

Ryc
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Haha sorry man.

I like black or an off-black for colours really, although it's not that big a deal. I just don't want pink or bright yellow.

H-H or H-S-H for pickups. Have no experience with different types like EMG's, but I've heard they're good. Not sure about passive or active..

Don't mind the fretboard wood really.

Probably 24 fret, but not a big deal again.

Pickguards are cool, but they aren't a must.

Not a fan of trim rings.

Also, I've been reading up on a couple of reviews for the SBMM JP50/JP100, and it seems to have amazing reviews. I also quite like a PRS Custom 24 aswell. Anyone comment on those?

Tags
guitar play ibanez shred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode