Need RG Identification Help... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Need RG Identification Help...

I just got a new RG in a trade and since I've misplaced all my old Ibanez Catalogues I need help from the braintrust here...

It was advertised as a RG770FMCS. RG body. Flamed Maple top. Sharktooth inlays. Bound headstock and neck. Rosewood fretboard. IBZUSA pickups. Edge trem. Cosmo Black hardware. No pickguard...

Now, don't the 770's have maple boards? Also, this serial number starts out F0, as apposed to F90. The guy I got it from says it's a 1990. Also, it has a Made in Japan sticker on the back of the headstock by the serial number. It's a black rectangle with gold letters and border. Never seen one of those...

So, is this a 770? Does anyone know what they listed for at the time? Thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i'll look at the cat scans tonight, but the 770s had rosewood mostly w/ the shark. 1990 likely. Some of the FMs were handled in the USA. Nice axes but i personally loathe the sharkfin look. Enjoy... glen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Glen,
Thanks! Like I said, if I could just find those friggin' Ibanez catalogues you wouldn't have to be put out looking for me. Oh wait, it's not like a Root C ****
looking at Ibanez's! What does "handled in the USA" mean?

The only other Ibanez I've owned with Sharktooth inlays was a RG350DX. Didn't like them, didn't really like the guitar besides the look either but that's another story. I've only had this guitar for 2 days but the 'Teeth are growing on me. Granted they are not anywhere as cool as Pyrimids but better than just plain dots. IMHO...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Sounds like a 770 to me. *I've got one with a rosewood board, sharktooth inlays (sorry glen), bound neck and headstock. *Serial number F040873 . . . cosmo black edge trem.

Mine originally came with IBZ USA pups and was laser blue. *I've since refinished it and put in Dimarzios. *I could be wrong about this, but I believe that all the RG7xx had a bound neck, while all the RG5xx did not. *Also, I think the RG5xx has always had dot inlays, RG7xx had the sharktooth. *From what I've seen RGx50s have pickguards and RGx70s do not. *So I'd say you've got an RG770.

Be thankful it's not a maple board . . . all the RG7xx I've seen with maple boards have sharktooth inlays colored to match the body *

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL... just what the guitar world needed... colored sharkfin inlays :lame:

Quote:
What does "handled in the USA" mean?
THey went thru the H&S Shop (ibanez custom shop) for pickup installation and maybe more? instead of going thru the normal distributors (Chesbro, Hosh USA)... glen
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
LOL... just what the guitar world needed... colored sharkfin inlays :lame:
No kidding! *I have to be honest, I'm cool with the silver sharktooths on the rosewood boards . . . but the colored ones on the maple boards are not exactly 'desireable' IMHO*:loco:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:06 PM

Reviews: 5

I like the colored inlays on maple board. *Especially the blue ones were cool
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:12 PM

I normally don't like sharkfin inlays, but the colored sharkins on maple are so 80's cool and tacky that I like them. Kind of the same way I like the desert yellow Jems.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

That's the beast. Thanks Glen. Nice rides, great tone and nice look. Just to bad it doesn't have the AANJ. Best thing about this one is the guy I got it for played it for about 3 weeks in '90 then stored it. The thing is as mint as a used guitar can get. Nice to find those once and a while...

I've only had the silver looking sharkfins. There is an Ultraviolet 770 here with a maple board and those inlays look kinda tacky. Never seen a blue one though...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:12 PM

I remember they did a red one with the matching inlays, and that looked kind of cool, I think they did a purple one at some point as well, I have a flyer with it on somewhere...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:37 PM

Congrats on the cool guitar.

The first nice NEW Ibanez I ever laid my hands on was the RG770DXLB (don't shoot me if I got the name wrong). *I plugged that baby into the Digitech GSP21-PRO setup they had and man was I in heaven. *That was the moment when I knew my Kramer was INFERIOR (also the moment I realized I really needed a noise gate).

Many years have passed, I now own the 21PRO, but the RG770DXLB still aludes me....

PS... I love the Shark-fins in my RG450DXWH arty:

Tags
cosmo black hardware , custom shop , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , flamed maple , ibanez catalog , ibanez custom shop , pickup installation , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fretboard , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode