Need some advice (Ibanez Radius 540) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Need some advice (Ibanez Radius 540)

Ok, so there's a dude selling one here in Brazil and I'm considering it. He's asking for something like $750 for it. Understand though, that it's actually in Reais and I'm converting it. He listed it at 2500 Reais which is the price I paid new on my Ibanez S670fm a year ago. From the pics, it seems to be in pretty great condition for a 1988 guitar, with the only blemishes being the ding in the neck pocket and the third knob that was installed by a previous owner.

What do you guys think? Worth it? Or should I pass it up? These guitars are actually pretty rare here in Brazil so I'm leaning towards buying it even with the rather high price. Still, I'd like some input. Here's some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Re: Need some advice (Ibanez Radius 540)

Goddam thats hot!!!!!

Maple fretboard and HSS config and that color, seems to be in great shape. This is a guitar you should buy, you won't get a chance on another radius with maple fretboard

-trust me!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess you are right. The seller is considering taking my Boss GT-10 as part of the payment, so that will give me some breathing room to buy the guitar. And I do fancy the maple board as well. Very hard to find Ibanez with them, specially with the smaller dots.

Thanks on helping me spend money
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks on helping me spend money
Always a pleasure to help a fellow jemsiter
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM

The maple board Ultra necks are a pretty rare item on the Radius series. A few of us around here have had one (Ashbass, FrankFalbo, me...), but it's been a long time since I've seen one come up for sale. The maple board, cool color and good condition would put that guitar at the high end of what 540Rs bring around here.

What does the 3rd knob do? I would prefer it without that addition.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Price seems a bit high.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Agreed, but given that he's in Brazil where they're apparently hard to find, it's hard to know. Here in the States, I'd guess that guitar could possibly bring $400-500 tops. But the extra knob would be a debit -- how much that affected the price would be very buyer-dependent.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, currently there are two 540r guitars for sale. This is one, and the other is a rosewood board. The rosewood one is 1991 and has that horribly custom inlay on the 21st fret, and the dude is asking 3000 Reais on it, compared to 2500 on this one. There is a third radius on sale, but it's actually a 440r and it's 2000 Reais.

I was a bit iffy on the third knob as well, but from what the seller said, it acts as the third knob on a strat to control tone of the pickups separately. Considering the H-S-S config, I don't think that's a terrible idea. I'm still talking to the seller to see how it goes. Worst scenario is that I'd give it a pass, which I hope not, cause I really want to have a Radius. I could wait to buy a JS someday, but I'm always a bit discouraged about buying signature gear, and a JS1200 is about 9000 Reais here, which is just completely out of acceptable price range for now.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the used market here in Brazil works a little bit different, unfortunately, than in the US. Rare stuff is always priced higher than normal, purely based on the rarity factor. I once saw a RG770 going for more than 1000 dollars and the color was completely faded, and the hardware didn't look good. But since it was a guitar from the very first run of the 770 it ended up selling very high.

Edit2: Correcting some info. Stupid ads

Last edited by Viper-sfm; 07-15-2012 at 12:37 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Here was my maple 540R neck in 2005. I got it from Frank Falbo who also sold me earlier the Fountain Blue body that the neck is on. That one and the one you showed above are the only two maple board ultra necks I've ever seen. I traded this neck back to Frank for something. Last I saw, the guitar was in Switzerland.

This one you're looking at is on the tip-top of rare because of the neck. But it's so rare that people might not think it was part of the stock guitar. That could hurt resale in the US. In Brazil? I don't know.

I'd buy even if it was only me who knew how rare it was. I wouldn't feel cheated at $750 if I were in your situation with your money. Everything looks crisp and sharp. The labels on the pickups are clean, the Edge looks to be blemish free. Offer him $700 because of the knob and the little paint chip in the neck pocket. See it he'll move for that.

An '88 should also have the BackStop trem-setter installed in the springs cavity. If this one doesn't, off another $75-$100 from the price saying that you're going to have to buy one to get back to original specs. If it does, smile to yourself and say, "hmmm".

Back to that chip in the paint. I've only ever done that while taking a neck off of a guitar. Maybe the maple neck on there now is not original. An '87 or '88 maple wizard neck would fit a radius guitar. There could have been a swap at some time. For instance, I have an 87 Saber that has an Ultra neck on it instead of the Wizard it came with. I don't know enough about wizard necks though. Did they have small dots at that time?

Last edited by ashbass; 07-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

That's some good info that I wasn't aware of. I managed to get him to split the shipping cost with me, so I feel good already about the paint chip and knob. Specially for a 1988 guitar, I doubt that I will ever find another that is in this good of a condition.

I won't ask about the trem-setter though. Sellers in Brazil aren't normally very knowledgeable and I worry that it might make him up the price because of it. I did ask him about the neck though, and am waiting for a response about it. Probably will know only for sure once the guitar is in my hands, and I can measure it properly.

In any case, I've secured the guitar for myself, so I don't risk someone else swooping in and getting it Hopefully, it'll be here next week.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 PM

That's a pretty sweet guitar. You know what would be even cooler? See if you can coil split the bucker. that's would be WICKED
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
That's a pretty sweet guitar. You know what would be even cooler? See if you can coil split the bucker. that's would be WICKED
Seymour Duncan Triple Shot humbucker rings are the way to go. They are unobtrusive and give the option of playing the front coil by itself or the rear coil by itself. Standard splitting just gives you the front coil and the rear coil is left all alone with no one to listen to it.

Triple Shot demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2L0Krgu6Y&feature=plcp
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, if the guitar can do the sounds I want without any mods, I'll probably keep it as is. Coil-tapping the bridge humbucker doesn't strike me as something I'd need to do, heh.

BTW, how are those Ibz/Usa pickups compared to full on Dimarzios? I know they are made by Dimarzio, but I'm used to playing through a Fred/Paf Pro set, and am wondering how much of a difference it might be.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM

The single coils are actually stacked humbuckers and they sound great, and don't pickup hum as a bonus. The bridge pickup I don't think Dimarzio has a comparable model for. I like mine (with the Triple Shot) in the Saber guitar. It does what I need it to do. And, it's stock, which is cool in its own way.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The maple board does make it look spectacular---and certainly makes the price fair enough, especially the rarity of it.
It's gorgeous!

Tags
ibanez , radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode