Need some "guitar wall" suggestions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Need some "guitar wall" suggestions

Greetings,
I have a new music room with one wall that's destined to become the guitar wall where I'll hang a few of the guitars I play most often. I know I've seen some cool pics of other peoples' "guitar walls" on here before, but I couldn't find them with a search (btw -- is there any way to search on a complete phrase? -- quotes doesn't seem to work).

I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever you got that might help me decide on a good arrangement. I'm leaning toward running a couple of boards the full length of the wall and staggering the guitars in 2 tiers (one high, one low, etc), but maybe you guys have other suggestions.

Let's see what ya got!

Cheers,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Re: Need some "guitar wall" suggestions

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I like that! Good idea to mix the guitars with some other music paraphernalia. I wouldn't have thought of that!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 PM

That was my wife's idea. I hung all the guitars staggared like that on all the walls. Then for Christmas one year she did all the pictures, painted the walls, put up shelves and everything to finnish the room off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah thats probably one of the best ideas. Looks good with the guitars at different heights, plain straight might get boring, unless you have 5 gorgeous jems ;]

Elcid, do you trust your guitar hooks to hold those les Pauls? I read a thread once that the max weight is 10lbs and les pauls are around 11-12. Some guy lost his black LP custom right onto his hardwood floor, not a good situation. I would go for a 2nd support peice but ibanez guitars are usually pretty light, you probably wont have a problem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM

I never had any issues with them. I cant see the hook limit being 10 pounds. If that were the case I would expect it to be printed some where on the packaging. Maybe he put the hooks in the wall wrong? Whenever I put a new hook up, I pull down on the hook with a considerable amount of force to make sure everything is ok before I ever put a guitar up there, even if its an acoustic.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Here's what I had at my old place, a rack which I made myself from pine boards from Home Depot, stained with some minwax stuff.

Well, my rack didn't hold enough guitars. I didn't plan ahead enough, LOL.

Since then I've moved into a new house, and thought to get a similar rack professionally built, as mine was alright, but clearly a bit amateurish. I found some custom furniture makers who, I guess outsource the work to china or indonesia. They sent me some drawing of some pretty cool and elaborately carved designs based on my rack, with pretty reasonable prices (actually, unreasonably low... less than $300.00 ). I kind of dropped the ball, in that there were some details of the drawings that weren't quite right, and trying to fix them via computer was a bit of a PITA, and some other things came up which kind of made me forget about the whole thing for awhile... (need to get back on that project, actually).

The method of attaching this to the wall was as follows: Two 4 inch bolts screwed into wall studs (after predrilling pilot holes -- after much cussing and drilling random small holes in the wall attempting to find the studs). These bolts protrude a good one inch out of the wall, as out of the sides of Frankenstein's monster's skull.

Two half-inch holes drilled in the rack -- big enough to fit over the heads of the protruding bolts. These holes were drilled AFTER the bolts were installed, and after measuring things _very_ carefully so that they holes lined up and
everything would be level. Then the rack is just suspended on the bolts.

Last edited by Ferrous Lepidoptera; 05-28-2007 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Reviews: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
that,s a smooth looking one.. i like it.. nice elicid

Tags
ibanez guitars , les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode