Need some help with different guitars. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Need some help with different guitars.

Alright I own these two guitars.

Ibanez 7VWH (1997 - Ebony fretboard, one piece neck -Studio guitar)

Ibanez SA160 (2001 - Rosewood fretboard - First guitar - Work horse for shows ect.)

I rallyed up $700-800 USD and now I'm in the looks for one with a maple fretboard just to get all three worlds. I'm mainly looking for the RG shape so I found a blue 1991 770dx (if the guy still has it when I get my money) and I found two different 20th Anniversary 550s Red and Yellow.

How would these guitars compare to say my JEM? Are there any better I should be on the looks for in my price range used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 AM

Re: Need some help with different guitars.

I'd go for one of the reissues. That's just me, but it's like the best of the old with the best of the new. I'm determined to pick up a yellow or red..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm View Post
Alright I own these two guitars.

Ibanez 7VWH (1997 - Ebony fretboard, one piece neck -Studio guitar)

Ibanez SA160 (2001 - Rosewood fretboard - First guitar - Work horse for shows ect.)

I rallyed up $700-800 USD and now I'm in the looks for one with a maple fretboard just to get all three worlds. I'm mainly looking for the RG shape so I found a blue 1991 770dx (if the guy still has it when I get my money) and I found two different 20th Anniversary 550s Red and Yellow.

How would these guitars compare to say my JEM? Are there any better I should be on the looks for in my price range used?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I really find the 770DX original looking and different but does it play as well as the 550? I heard the 770 was basically an upgraded version of the 550s in the 90s so wouldn't it be better than the reissues? I don't know.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm View Post
Yeah. I really find the 770DX original looking and different but does it play as well as the 550? I heard the 770 was basically an upgraded version of the 550s in the 90s so wouldn't it be better than the reissues? I don't know.
Hard to say.

In my experience, all post 2000 Japanese models play well, and to be honest they are pretty similar. I personally prefer the pre 2000 stuff, but I think that the re-issue 550s are supposed ot be exceptionally good.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 AM

Ibanez really did do well on the reissues the only criticism i have are the damn sharp edges on fret board.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It all depends on the condition of the old one. If the RG770DX is in good condition, I heartily recommend them (my main player's a 91)

I picked up an '87 RG560 on the bay that's unplayable and will probably be purely for parts or decoration (I might swirl it or something).

All my other 90s RGs are fantastic, but you have to watch out for the bad apples

Tags
550 , 770dx , jem , maple , sa160

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode