Need Some Help With My J Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
RTF

Need Some Help With My J Custom

Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to recently acquire a J Custom but don't have much experience with Ibanez guitars and was hoping someone could advise me on a few things. I tend to pick right where the middle pickup is, so I lowered it down to make my life easier. But after lowering it, I noticed that the pickup cover is bending out at the bottom. I was hoping someone could shed light on why that might be happening without me having to take the pickup out and looking it over.

The other thing that I found weird was that inside the pickup cavities, the paint on the inner walls comes off really easily. If I reach in with a Q-tip, it comes out covered in paint. Is that normal?

I'm new to the forum and unfortunately cannot post pics to show you guys what I'm talking about, but I'm looking forward to showing off my guitar when I get the required 10 posts in. In the meantime, any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Vendor

Re: Need Some Help With My J Custom

Shielding paint inside the pickup routs is on top of the clear. If the Q-Tip was went it will remove it, it's not exactly supposed to be durable, just shield.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
RTF

I see. I just thought it was weird that it came off so easily - the Q-tip was not wet. Nor did I apply a lot of pressure.

Do you have any idea why my pickup cover might be bending out? Thanks.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Vendor

You'll have to post a picture for me to understand what you mean by bending out, but the neck humbucker wire does run under it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
RTF

Yeah, I thought it might be a wire causing it. Note sure though - I'll post pics soon as I can. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 2

get that post count up man...... we want to see your JC!!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
RTF

I'm working on it
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
RTF

------

Last edited by RTF; 06-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Vendor

Beautiful wood on that one.

No, that is not normal at all, I'd be writing asking for a new cover.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Man, that's a stunner. Crazy top!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
RTF

Thanks guys - the top is really special on this one. Rich, the cover is totally fine until I lower the pickup. Any idea what might be causing this?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Vendor

Reminds me of when you tell the Doctor your elbow only hurts when you move it, and the Dr. tells you not to move it
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 AM

Reviews: 2

There's something under the middle pickup that's causing the cover to bow out like that. My guess is that you have the neck pickup wires pinched in hard under there. You'll want to raise it up again if you want to continue to use the neck pup. with that much pressure on the wires, they're going to short out.

BTW.... beautiful guitar man. Is it a JCRG13EM with the square heel?

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 06-06-2015 at 02:40 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
RTF

Thanks man - yep that's exactly right. The square heel makes playing the upper frets a bit harder, but I really dig it aesthetically. I guess I'll raise the pickup - hope no damage has been done to the neck pup wire. But this sucks because I hate playing with the middle pup so high. Any ideas for a solution? Thanks for the help guys.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM

I'd check to see what the bent part is catching on. As mentioned -- it might just be wires that should be laying in a channel, but aren't settled in there properly.

If it can't be fixed by rearranging something in there, I'd simply cut a small notch/groove in the pickup cover to accommodate whatever it's hitting, or else I'd shave off a few mm's on the bottom of the whole cover using a grinder (or just a sanding block).

Pickup covers also come in different heights, but the colors often don't match perfectly, especially when trying to match up with aged covers.

(Afterthought -- that cover shouldn't come down any lower than the pickup base, so you should be able to diagnose the problem with just the cover and pickup lifted out of the guitar. For some reason, the cover isn't seating on the pickup, so they're mismatched.)

Last edited by stratoskier; 06-06-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode