Need some help from you Ibanez pro's - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Need some help from you Ibanez pro's

Hi guys! I'm Danny. I was part of this forum many years ago but I had a stroke and had to stop playing. I lost the fine motor skills of my right side, so my picking hand is shot. But I can't stand it anymore and have decided to try and play again. I won't be as proficient as I was, but I love playing too much to stay away.

So, having said all of that, I need your help with buying a new Ibanez. I'm not familiar with the newer models and have been looking at the Premium line.

I need your expertise on these guitars. The good, the bad and the ugly. I need to know if they're worth the money.

I'm seeing some BFP models and PG models that I like, but are they problematic?

I've also been looking at the black quilted top model, and I love that one also.

Like I said, the good, the bad and the ugly guys. I'd hate to waste my money.

I really appreciate any help you could give me! :-)
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Need some help from you Ibanez pro's

Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear about your stroke, I really admire you for getting back on the horse! All credit to you.

A lot of people will say that you're better off with an RG655 which basically is the current replacement for the old RG550 than the new BFP JEM because the bridge on the prestige RG is supposed to be miles better.

I've not tried the BFP extensively, but the one I spent a few minutes with seemed OK to me and looks awesome. However, I didn't give it enough abuse to see how well it holds its tuning, and it certainly doesn't look as solid as the old school Edge bridge on the RG and isn't as comfortable under the right hand, which. Ought be a big consideration for you.

Hopefully others will chime in shortly and they might have greater familiarity with the new JEM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:42 PM

Hey man, good on you for coming back like that after a stroke. I have a good friend who was a professional bass and guitar player, and he just randomly had a stroke one day, and he has been slowly grinding his way back up. He has made a lot of progress and it's very inspiring!

Regarding the guitar, I would definitely stick with a Prestige instead of paying so much for the Jem name as the new BFP is made in Indonesia.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Hey mate, I generally only play the Japanese models, but, I own a UV7OP and had a good solid play on the BFP and I can tell you they are good solid guitars....don't be put off by the Premium label... They suit the price point and do the job...good on you for getting back into it....buy whatever guitar inspires you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Reviews: 13

Hey Danny, I also vote for the RG 655. Great guitar with Edge tremolo, rock solid.

As for your stroke, I'm really sorry for that. But don't give up, you can progress until your right hand is playing again. Look forward, stay hungry.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 AM

I vote for S series. They are comfortable, and light. Quality is decent through whole range, even below premium. Decent pickups and decent bridge. Probably the most ergonomic shape.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:42 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your stroke Danny, i would also recommend getting a prestige and while the RG655 is an excellent choice, i'd personally get an RG652AHM instead, that to me is the coolest guitar Ibanez has released in years.

Tags
premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode