Need Wise Advice Concerning J-Custom purchase - Is it worth - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Need Wise Advice Concerning J-Custom purchase - Is it worth

Alright I will give you all back ground on me, my playing, and current guitars and gear.
I'm rather young at age 15, I have been playing guitar for five years.Been playing Classical guitar for three years, and I am in my schools jazz band. For electric guitar I am starting to sit down and learn more difficult songs such as Steve Vai-The Animal and some others of the the same caliber. My main guitar is an RG 570 with Air Norton-Virtual Vinitage2.2-Tone Zone. My back up is an Old Charvel. As for an amp I have a Carvin Legacy Combo. Now for my question................. I have been in the market for a new guitar for some time now and have gone back and forth between different models, 7-string guitars ,and everything else you could think of. My local guitar shop has two new J-Customs, the one with sound chambers and the one with a Quilted Maple Top. I have a little more than $2000 to spend however that does not mean I have to spend it. Anyways I need a guitar that is of great quality, great value, and that will last me through the rest of high school and through collage. This guitar will be my last for a great while. So do you think I should shell out the cash for the J-Custom, look at lower end Ibanez guitars such as the RG 3120, or keep my RG 570 and not get a new guitar? I gave you all my background so you can see where I am coming from and what you would do in the situation. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Need Wise Advice Concerning J-Custom purchase

The thought of a high-school student dropping $2k (or even $1k) on a guitar is pretty absurd to me.

The J-Custom won't improve your playing, tone or gigging. Put the cash in the bank for the future... it is a wiser invesement then a pricy, boutique guitar. When you feel the guitar itself is limiting your musicianship, shop a used Ibanez for a fraction of that price that might even be more to your liking.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but i believe in keeping a PERSPECTIVE about things. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:52 AM

Quote:
jemsite on 12:37 am on Jan. 3, 2002
The J-Custom won't improve your playing, tone or gigging.... glen
Neither will a UCEW, or a JEM, or a UV, or a PR$ or....well, you get the idea.

If you're really interested in the J-Custom line, you should check overseas. *The majority of them are there, with a ton of different variations. *Japan and Europe have some of the very coolest models. *The ones that *do* come here to the US are extremely nice & a quality instrument, but....as you can see, the variety is fairly limited.

I wouldn't consider the 3120 'lower end'; not in the least. *I've seen some KILLER Prestige models (see also: DPP-2). *For just under $1K, the 3120 (either blue or red) is a nice ride, that can take you far. *I think the 3120's a great value for the player looking to upgrade from the 3xx, 4xx and 5xx realm.

Question: *Is your local store Boogie Music? *

Also, that last person you should talk to about the J-Custom line is Glen. *
That's like asking me about the UCEW's. *:-)
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:53 AM

Given,

I have a few guitars. *More than some, less than most. *Whenever I'm looking at purchasing a new guitar, I look at the guitars I already own more carefully. *Certaining the smell, and touch of a NEW guitar has been known to render men thoughtless. *However, I look at trying to find a guitar different from the others I have. *Either different necks, or woods, or electronics, etc.

Look around the used guitar market for sure. You'll get more bang for your buck. *DON"T SPEND IT ALL! *Glen's absolutely correct. *Save some dough for down the line. *You never know, you may use it to finance your demo some day.

Look for a guitar that can fascilitate you becoming a better player. *Look for a 7 string? *Look for a piezo equipped guitar? *Something that can help you broaden your horizons. *With your comments about classical training and Vai playing, you're in the right direction. *

Be sure to find people to jam with as well. *My mother always told me if you're gonna play an instrument, "It's better to play with a group, than play with yourself!" *LOL

Good luck and be sure to tell us what decision you make!

Contact me next week too, I should have my RG-ART be then and can fill you in on it!

later,
Chris
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:55 AM

Kev,

what's the DDP-2 you speak of?

later,
Chris
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:27 AM

Chris-
Front of the DPP.
Back of the DPP.
These Prestige models (NOT J-Customs!) are also commonly referred to as the "Texas Specials" as the whole lot was picked up by the GC stores in TX. I don't remember the exact model number/name, but I can get it for you. *

By some freak of nature, the one pictured in my hands above, I found in Manhattan. *It played and sounded SWEET!!! *MSRP was $2999 (no case; cheap bastards), and since Scam Cash only had the one, they weren't cuttin' any deals....so I didn't bring it home.
GC-Texas also snatched up all the TRD (trans red), and NT (natural) versions of this model. *I think there were 3120-TB's (trans black) down there too.

Glen- the search on this Forum is toast, and the old Forum seems to be missing the DPP thread.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled J-Custom thread...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:29 AM

Reviews: 5

hey Glen, I spent $1300.00 on my JEM. I was 18 then. *It was my graduation present
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:14 AM

Great discussion here! *I need to add this, tho - I can't go over to ANYone's house and play their guitars with any flair - I'm sorry, but mine are just better quality pieces of equipment. *Alot of people have good quality instruments but aren't educated enough to keep them set up correctly. *(I cringe when I see someone leaving their guitars in-stand or hanging on a wall 100% of the time - I just couldn't ever get away w/ that and keep a set-up/clean for any length of time.)

I had been in the high-end acoustic market for awhile and finally bought a Taylor - it has done wonders for my playing and mind. *I didn't know how much my older acoustic and its comparably poor quality was limiting me. *So GTF, I would agree w/ Glen in that you don't need a boutique guitar for twice what you're worth to play better, but I would encourage you to invest in something high-quality. *Glen is right-on on the used Ibanez - if played regularly and taken care of, they just get better and better. *You might not find anything of that caliber for under $1K, but who knows? *Keep your eyes open and good luck!

- Chris
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:38 AM

J-Customs are really nice guitars. I've had the pleasure of owning 3 of them, and will hopefully have the pleasure of owning many more. Great workmanship, playability, and tone. To me, what sets the J-Customs apart is the uniqueness--the hand-stained top on the RG-ART, the 5-piece flamed maple bound necks on some models, etc.

That said, GO LOOK AT A 3120! They are IMHO the best bang for the buck in the Ibanez line, and are (for all intents and purposes) practically J-Customs. I have two 3120's right now, and they get far more playing time than anything else I've got. You could probably get a new one for $1000 and a used one for around $700.

If you do look at J-Custom models, be sure to look overseas--there is a far greater variety of models available overseas than here, and with exchange rates where they are now the prices are pretty reasonable. Check out the 8570 and 8520 models at Ishibashi...

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/w...r/ibanez-4.htm

Hope this helps!

--Brent
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:20 AM

I'm with Glen on this...I'd recommend investing in something toward your future (unless of course your parents are extremely wealthy, then I suppose it doesn't matter!). *Your current rig sounds excellent, IMHO certainly more than sufficient. *But if you must, I'll toss in another rec for the 3120...great rumble for the ruble.

BTW, here are some more pics of the "Texas Prestige" models...sweet they are:

http://photos.yahoo.com/gkelm

All the best in your decision.
Greg
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Question: *Is your local store Boogie Music? *
Having lived in Tucson for 8 yrs, I don't think there's a Boogie Music in Tucson. *There are a few here in Phoenix though. *I'd bet its either Rainbow Guitars, Guitars Etc. or Workshop Music.

But back to the subject at hand, I agree with Glen. *Save your money for the future. *The stuff you have right now is more than adequate. *I'd actually suggest saving for a few years then having your dream guitar custom made. *The cost will probably be close to your average J-custom and it will have all the features YOU want, not someone else's.

My 2 cents.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input. I now realize that paying $2000 for a guitar right now is kinda pointless. I also liked the suggestions of buying over seas, however I don't really want to deal with shipping across the ocean. I would rather buy it at my local guitar store (Rainbow Guitars) and have when I buy it. I think maybe I will look into the Prestige Line. Maybe one with a piezo. Which bring me to a question... With the double edge models do you need two amps to run the peizo? Might seem dumb but I am not real familiar with them. Anyways thanks for the advice.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Vendor

Some interesting new models will be shown at NAMM in 2 weeks. I'd wait and check back for updates on the latest and greatest.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 03:57 PM

Kev,

NICE! *I'm sure you did everything you could to get one. *There's one on GBASE.com, I just didn't know what model it was. *They want like $3K for it I think!

gkelm,

Are those pics of YOUR guitars? *Killer! *I'm envious!

later,
Chris
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:32 PM

Chris- Just the natural one is mine now...Bill Earl is the proud owner of the purple one, and I can't remember who I sold the red one to.
Greg

Tags
air norton , carvin legacy combo , custom models , electric guitar , equipped guitar , flamed maple , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , kjg wiring mod , local guitar shop , piezo equipped guitar , playing guitar , quilted maple , steve vai , string guitars , texas prestige , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode