New 1527, and a new Sherman custom 5-string bass - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

New 1527, and a new Sherman custom 5-string bass

Thought I'd come over here to show off a few pics of my newest aquisitions, since I haven't been around much of late...

I snagged a RG1527 from a guy off www.sevenstring.org last week. I'd always liked the looks of these things, but I wasn't sure what to think since everything I'd heard about it here was kind of a mixed bag. However, the price was right, I missed a H-H axe, and I figured worst case scenario I'd just grab an alder body for it.

I picked it up, threw on my preferred Elixir 10's + .68 low B set, and dialed in the setup a bit, and man, this thing smokes. I absolutely love the neck, it's a little thicker than my PWH's neck, and a little thinner than the '04 UV's I was playing the other night, but it's just surprisingly comfy. I dig the larger fretwire too, and I've always liked H-H axes. the previous owner threw in a set of D-Activators, which I actually kind of dug - I liked the neck 707 but hated the same pickup in the bridge, and I'm happy to report that while these are certainly reminiscent of EMG's in tone and output, they're entirely absent of that "shink" pick attack sound, and don't need a ton of gain to sound good for rhythm. Not sure if I'll keep them or not, but for now I'm having fun with them.

A few dorky artistic shots:

I was also surprised by the Edge Pro 7 bridge, and the new J Craft case. I remember neither was terribly well recieved here, but the EP7 feels just as well made as an edge to a casual observer, and is quite comfortable. The locking studs are of course an issue, but I'll swap that out at some point... The case looks much more legit in person than it does in the pictures I've seen too, as well.

Meanwhile, earlier in the week I'd picked up a custom 35" scale 5-string from Mike Sherman, a luthier who did some stints in the Hamer and Dean custom shops before moving to CT and going solo. Fascinating dude, had some hilarious stories about hanging with Dime (who he built guitars for), and he does some seriously good work.

The bass in question was something he built for a customer years ago and when it came time for delivery the guy couldn't pay. So, he held onto it as a shop loaner for the last five or so years, and for one reason or another decided to sell it. I'd been looking for a more inspring 5 string, and his asking price was a steal, so I made arrangements to buy it when I got back from India.

Simply, this thing is beautiful. It's obviously not a new guitar, but that doesn't bug me since I bought it to play the hell out of it. It's a surprisingly heavy bass, but has a seriosuly thick tone and just exudes quality from every pore. It's just an inspiring instrument to pick up, and makes me wish I wasn't such a hack bassist (I've been practicing bass ever since I picked it up, lol). The top and striping on the neck is gorgeous.

I'm, as they say, a happy camper. I'll post up some clips once I get a chance to record both of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: New 1527, and a new Sherman custom 5-string bass

And a family photo:

Left to right, back row: C7 Blackjack, Fender American Standard Strat, Ibanez UV7PWH. Front row: Martin MC16-GTE, Ibanez RG1527, Mike Sherman 5-string. Foreground - Squier Strat-VII.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:17 PM

Both look great, but that bass looks outstanding! Does the bass have a Bartolini preamp in it? (And I need to get one of those 1527s in blue as well...)
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM

I've always liked the 1527!

I have a question regarding the Fender Strat... Which color is that? Is it sage green metallic?

Alwin
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Jim, yeah, it's got a Bartolini pre in there as well... Was it you who was always a big fan of Barts? or am I thinking of frank Falbo? Anyway, it's my first ever active bass, so I'm still learning how to dial it in, but it sounds pretty impressive so far.

Myst - it's actually "Inca Silver." It's funny, I remember seeing one of Clapton's old strats in the Hard Rock in Montreol, I think, that was silver with a maple board, and thinking it was the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. I didn't even know it was a guitar he'd been widely photographed with at one point, so when I started going to blues jams in college and guys kept asking me if I was a Clapton fan, I had no idea why, lol. I thought it was something in my playing which kind of worried me as I haven't liked much of what he's done outside of Wolf's London Sessions and Cream.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Myst - it's actually "Inca Silver." It's funny, I remember seeing one of Clapton's old strats in the Hard Rock in Montreol, I think, that was silver with a maple board, and thinking it was the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. I didn't even know it was a guitar he'd been widely photographed with at one point, so when I started going to blues jams in college and guys kept asking me if I was a Clapton fan, I had no idea why, lol. I thought it was something in my playing which kind of worried me as I haven't liked much of what he's done outside of Wolf's London Sessions and Cream.
That's a great story! I agree that that combination looks wonderful. Also with the pearloid pickguard.

On my computer screen it seemed the finish had kind of a greenish hue, so that's why I thought it was sage green. The Fender color chart doesn't really accurately show the colors, imo, so seeing actual photos is always good!

Nice collection, btw!

Alwin

Last edited by Myst and rain; 01-07-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Typo (...so that why...).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Jim, yeah, it's got a Bartolini pre in there as well... Was it you who was always a big fan of Barts? or am I thinking of frank Falbo? Anyway, it's my first ever active bass, so I'm still learning how to dial it in, but it sounds pretty impressive so far.
Yeah, me and Frank both I've got Barts in my 7VWH now as well, though I had to call the factory to get them. Preamps sure make a bass fun, they're so much more useable on basses than on guitars. That's a seriously fine looking bass you got there, congrats on the score! What kind of pickups are the P's?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:16 PM

phoah thats nice, i was looking to purchase a 1527 myself, it would be my first seven string.
im guessing its a good un' then?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Drew, lovely guitar.. and that bass is phenomenal. Looks perfectly playable.

...and can I take a wild guess and say that you used to post at Guitar War under the username Zarathustra? If so, I had the name Bozz on there back in the day. Granted that I'm right, we had many good chats.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM

Nice scores Drew!
The quilt on that bass is outstanding.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Angels View Post
Drew, lovely guitar.. and that bass is phenomenal. Looks perfectly playable.

...and can I take a wild guess and say that you used to post at Guitar War under the username Zarathustra? If so, I had the name Bozz on there back in the day. Granted that I'm right, we had many good chats.
Nooooooooo shyte, how've you been, dude? Yeah, that was me... I haven't posted in ages now, but I miss the community. It's probably changed since then but it used to be a laid back, fun loving group of guys. Cool, great to find you here, mate.

Millzy, I've heard of a few people getting duds, but also lots of good experiences, and I can say concretely that after a pickup swap, mine rules - on par with many of the UV's I've played, possibly including my own.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Love that bass Drew Congrats on the rg1527 as well.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Sweet 1527

Very tasty
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Excellent move - the 1527 kicks ass!

The bass is pretty tasty too!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the thing owns. I just wish I was a better bassist...

Jim, if you mean the neck, it's a Yamaha pickup. No clue if it's any good, but that's what the original buyer requested, and I do kind of like it. It sounded absolutely rich jamming along with some Massive Attack last night.

Tags
alder body , blues jam , custom shop , fender strat , frank falbo , locking stud , locking studs , pearloid pickguard , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode