The new 3 maple pieces neck it is better than scarf joint? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

The new 3 maple pieces neck it is better than scarf joint?

Hi to all

I have doubt about the new 3 maples pieces in guitars like Ibanez RG350DX for example. I search in the forum, and view a lot of pictures of old Ibanez Rg... I think that for an economic guitar he is better this than the old scarf joint, even in the some old scarf joint like Rg570 guitars, but i´m not sure. My idea to buy a guitar by these days is the Ibanez Rg350DX, and soon to customise with diamrzio pickups and Floyd Rose Pro, and to have a guitar for all the life. But i think in the neck, and don´t know if it will hold well with time, specially in this 3 maple pieces or see any old rg with scarf joint?... All opinions and experience are welcome.. Best regards to all...

PD: Je je, please, visit my web about Guitars & luthery in this link

Last edited by Kurt76; 07-13-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:37 PM
ZJH

Re: The new 3 maple pieces neck it is better than scarf joint?

As opposed to the one-piece necks with scarf joints, the 3-piece maple neck will be much sturdier and durable.

El cuello con los tres pedazos es más firme que los cuellos que tengan un scarf joint. (¿Cómo es mi español? Jajaja)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJH
As opposed to the one-piece necks with scarf joints, the 3-piece maple neck will be much sturdier and durable.

El cuello con los tres pedazos es más firme que los cuellos que tengan un scarf joint. (¿Cómo es mi español? Jajaja)
Hi ZJH....

Thanks for the info , and your spanish is excellent... Regards...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:30 AM

Gibson did the scarf joint 32 years ago, and the Marauders I've seen, all have had solid necks. I agree that the three piece should be more stable, but I haven't seen any real proof.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:44 AM

Well the main proof is that that awful scarf joint is gone and that elimnates huge problems in the long term. Its simply a cheap way to build a neck. Although time will tell how long my RG520 will hold up. It has a scarf joint but is multi piece as well (maple/bubinga/maple) and my bet is the scarf joint is gonna crack before the neck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 AM

I REALLY doubt that! Todays glues are so much stronger that the wood itself! If you had an old, throw-away scarf joint neck, put it in a hydrolic press as see for yourself. I'd bet my 540R (Scarf neck joint) that the wood would break before the glue joint!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 PM

The main point with ibanez scarf joints is the rear mount locking nut. On 99% of the RGs with scarfs and locking trems, the nut is rear mount, which is the main reason you get those nasty nut stress cracks (becase of humidity, a fall, or tightening the bolts too much). Unlike the newer models which are top mount and have a volute behind them and could probaly take a fall directly to the headstock. Also, ibanez used lower quality wood for the headstock so of course its going to crack before the scarf.

The 3 and 5 piece is more stable because the glued joints are very strong and dont allow as much warping and twisting. In the long term i suppose there would be much more durabilty and stabilty but who knows how much effect it will have in the short
term. Another thing i just thought of does anybody have an RG or JEM or UV where the neck for 24-3 frets are straight and then on the 1st fret the neck backbows? The multi piece would probably fix this occasional problem as its a couple of big long pieces, giving a consistant bow.

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose pro , locking nut , locking trems , maple neck , neck joint , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode