New to the 7 Strings! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

New to the 7 Strings!

I took a little bath on a trade but I got my First 7 String. I traded a Triple Giant(Sorry Frank) for a RG7421. I love it. Man It is easier to play than I thought it would be. There is so much I can do with it so freaking happy. How do I get a tighter sound with the B string for clean tones though? Higher action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM

Heavier strings and better pickups. I use .011 to .070 on my 7-string and have more vintage-voiced pickups (Duncan '59 and JB).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Anyone use the Jazz would that be good with a JB maybe?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 PM

I have a couple 7's that I made around here and since I don't play them extensively, I'm kind of rusty as to how to explain this exactly. But string gauge is only part of the equation, the other part is the ratio of core to winding. I can't remember which is which, but I believe that a larger core with a smaller wind is better for the B. It will carry more tension and produce a stronger tone. A skinnier core with fatter winds will be sloppier. Now, I can't tell you for the life of me what brands do what, but some brands list the core size. If you go too heavy with the string gauge and the windings are too thick comparatively, they can choke off the notes. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I also have Bartolini's in both, and that, to me, is essential if you want the ultimate in clarity and string separation. They are unsurpassed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:49 PM

yea

yep 13g core 70g string that's the super low B.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

OMG that ounds like a bass string

Frank so bartolini's are thkey aye? Makes sense they are a great bass pup
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:54 PM

For me they are. Everyone's got their bias, and generally it's a marketing thing. But also, he makes so many different and flexible systems that unless you hear one that fits with your style you might misjudge them. I've designed so many different types of systems, for everyone from SRV strat guys to blistering metalheads to "make my one guitar sound like nine different guitars" guys. And everyone was a convert; 100% success rate. But the mainstay across all models is the clarity and string to string separation. It's unmatched, so when you said "tighter sound for clean" it just seemed right. If you go that route you can e-mail me or pm me and I'll help you pick the right ones.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Frank... Sorry about the triple Giant I got an offer before I left for vacation that I took and time didn't allow me to meet up with you sorry
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:29 AM

Hey no problem, if you want to torture yourself, I just might've traded my trans green quilt top/mahogany back set neck 7 string with Bartolinis for it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:12 AM

yea

I love the bart's and Rio Grande pickups.. don't forget Tom Anderson while we're at it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Ouch!!!! Need anything else? I hadn't even thought of a 7 string at the time to be honest....

Tags
clean tone , srv strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode