New 7420 Day - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New 7420 Day

So! One manly magenta RG popped up locally, and since I had a 7-string deficiency in my arsenal, I jumped on it. What I got was a very tidy '99 RG7420MC, all stock except for the locking nut (somebody had swapped it for a chrome version). I was a bit skeptic about the workmanship and the quality of parts first, since I hadn't really even heard of these models before, but the tone and the solid construction simply blew me away. Even all stock it's a great guitar. Much like the early RG sixers, the value for money is unparalleled.

Since I like a) Floyds and b) aftermarket pickups, I got me a dead mint OFR 7 to replace the Lo-TRS, and a set of Evo7 & Blaze neck to replace the stock pickups.

The Lo-TRS wasn't that bad really, but 13 years of use did show, the trem arm was long gone and I didn't care much for the sustain block in it - the tone had a nasal quality to it and honestly, I just prefer the OFR
Oh, and the radius wasn't dead-on on the stock bridge either, too flat, it seemed.

Mounting the FR was easy and relatively quick procedure. I knew some saddle shimming was in the plan, so I bought a cheap feeler gauge made of steel, and cut pieces of it to set the radius exactly. Otherwise it's a drop-in replacement, and probably the FR stock radius mismatch is not much different from the radius of the TRS anyway - probably a small shim under the 4th saddle would suffice if pressed for time.
I'll replace the TRS posts soon with the FR posts as they too are quite old and a bit grooved already. In the case of the posts, it really comes down to replacement parts availability - I can acquire Floyd parts with ease, whereas Ibanez parts are always ordered in, and it always takes a long time to get anything..

Oh, and the nut had a screw thread stripped, by the thickest two strings. Just the topmost bit of the thread. Apparently a common phenomenon with these, due to the thickness of the B string and the fact that the hex screw is too short for that particular position. I tried a FR 'hasp socket screw', which is a tiny bit longer hex screw, and it worked great. Search for Schaller part 382200.

Sorry about the pic quality..
Here she is stock apart from Evo in the bridge

Plus OFR 7

Plus Blaze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Re: New 7420 Day

nice score man! I once owned a 421 and miss it dearly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Reviews: 11

I love that color man, nice score!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys The color is indeed great, even the wife says she likes it - and I spotted no hint of sarcasm either. Apparently the finish doesn't take knocks and dings all that well. One paint chip is apparent in the pics above, and it has another by the tummy cut. It appears that the finish withstands minor to moderate bumps and knocks very well, hard to produce a scratch on it, but with a bit harder blow it cracks and falls off in large chunks.
My '90 RG570 doesn't really do that, but instead the finish just rubs off at the edges.

Well, perhaps some summer day I'll strip 'em both and give them a new look (but what color?) They're not quite there yet, but my 2,5 year-old definitely hastens the natural relicing process

The 570

Tags
7420 , dimarzio , ofr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode