Ibanez JEM Forum banner
20K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Drow Swordsman 
#1 ·
Well, I wasn't really happy with the current Ibanez 7 String lineup, so I made my statement with my dollars and picked me up a nice Agile Interceptor Pro.

For those who haven't heard of Agile guitars, they're a relatively unknown brand ran by Rondomusic.

They make some VERY nice guitars for great prices.

For $599 new, this is a neckthru, EMG707 equipped, ebony fretboarded, reverse headstocked 7 string, with basically an RGA body. Just about what you guys seem to want from Ibanez.

I got it used for $500 and am VERY happy with how it plays. Here's what I said about it from sevenstring.org

The only other issues with the Agile (and this is for their 7 strings in general, not this particular guitar, or even model) is that I'm not a fan of their string set which I believe is 9-52. The 52 is simply too thin a string in my opinion, and being that I tune to drop A, cannot intonate correctly with the 25.5" scale, even with the saddle all the way back it's too sharp. I much prefer a thicker low string, using a .059 for the low A on my Universe.

Not having any spare .059's at the moment I slapped a .054 on the low string and the intonation is now almost perfect, and when I get a .058 or .059 I expect to be able to make it spot on.

So now, time for a review! Once I tuned up the guitar, replaced the low string, set intonation, and tuned up again, I tried this bad boy out. The neck, while thick, was quick for me to get used to and for some reason the fretboard itself felt a lot like my Universe, not like the Schecter 7's (which I've never liked). I'm a big fan of the ebony fretboard as well, something I've always wanted to have on a 7 string.

The EMG's compared to the Dimarzio Blazes sound better in my opinion, I feel like the 7th string really stands out more with the pickup and even with the .054 string (which is still a little thin for an A in my opinion). My ideal choice would be Blackouts, since there's no room for a 2nd 9v battery to try out the 18v mod, but for now I'm content.

And now, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!

See less See more
#9 ·
quiksilverdew said:
No they have real tops. The Agile flame and quilt tops range from 1/16" to 3/4", depending on what you are paying.
Oh, I never knew that! Well I take it this would be around the 3/4" mark, for the Interceptor Pro is the highest end 7 string they make.

NeverPurified said:
Is this really the deal? I've been looking into UV7BK's and UV777's but I saw the new Agile and it is amazing looking. I am considering getting it because it will save me a ton of money too.

Could you do a side by side comparison?
Sure! I can indeed do that.

The most obvious difference is the neck size, with the Agile being NOTICEABLY thicker, the second you grab the neck you can feel the difference. The paint (for me) does not seem to be of much concern, though I was deathly afraid of hating it as I don't seem to like painted necks on any other guitars.

The way the guitar FEELS however, when I play it is quite similar. If the UV didn't have sentimental value to me I would seriously consider selling it off and buying 2 more Agile 7's, as I really don't think the UV is worth the cost (though I can say I do like how it plays a bit more).

As I said above, I can honestly say I prefer the sound of the Agile, largely due to the active pickups. I was very scared (this being my first guitar with actives) that the sound would be "sterile" and "lifeless" as I've often heard on these boards, and have even said myself. Such was not the case. I don't know if I would recommend actives for 6 string's, but the 7th string stands out so much more (in my opinion) whether it's clean or distorted with these 707's, and I still plan to put a thicker low string on there to thicken up its tone even more.

I haven't touched the bridge myself, which I'm sure is a concern to most players, but I have the bridge blocked on my UV and I plan to block it on my Agile as I love having the FloydRose as a bridge, but have no use for the tremolo bar and don't want to deal with it floating. Many on sevenstring.org say it is either the same trem as the Carvin 7 strings, or the same quality as such. So, most people seem to like them.

The ebony fretboard (while I know technically your fingers never touch the fretboard) just feels great under my fingers, and I'm not going to lie - I love how it looks.

It's quite comfortable standing up, but I plan to try and get some black straplocks on the guitar soon, because I don't like how the strap knobs aren't quite as big as on the UV.

Overall, considering I got this guitar for $500 I'm very happy with it. I plan to buy the 7 string/baritone case from RondoMusic for it relatively soon. Is the UV a better guitar than the Agile Interceptor Pro? I'd say yes (especially if I decide to put Blackouts in it). However, for the price and for the features it has and you won't have to worry about upgrading anything, I seriously think I'd take the Agile over it. I love my UV to death and would never get rid of it, but to a potential buyer, take a serious look at Agile.

#11 ·
Sure! I can indeed do that.

The most obvious difference is the neck size, with the Agile being NOTICEABLY thicker, the second you grab the neck you can feel the difference. The paint (for me) does not seem to be of much concern, though I was deathly afraid of hating it as I don't seem to like painted necks on any other guitars.

The way the guitar FEELS however, when I play it is quite similar. If the UV didn't have sentimental value to me I would seriously consider selling it off and buying 2 more Agile 7's, as I really don't think the UV is worth the cost (though I can say I do like how it plays a bit more).

As I said above, I can honestly say I prefer the sound of the Agile, largely due to the active pickups. I was very scared (this being my first guitar with actives) that the sound would be "sterile" and "lifeless" as I've often heard on these boards, and have even said myself. Such was not the case. I don't know if I would recommend actives for 6 string's, but the 7th string stands out so much more (in my opinion) whether it's clean or distorted with these 707's, and I still plan to put a thicker low string on there to thicken up its tone even more.

I haven't touched the bridge myself, which I'm sure is a concern to most players, but I have the bridge blocked on my UV and I plan to block it on my Agile as I love having the FloydRose as a bridge, but have no use for the tremolo bar and don't want to deal with it floating. Many on sevenstring.org say it is either the same trem as the Carvin 7 strings, or the same quality as such. So, most people seem to like them.

The ebony fretboard (while I know technically your fingers never touch the fretboard) just feels great under my fingers, and I'm not going to lie - I love how it looks.

It's quite comfortable standing up, but I plan to try and get some black straplocks on the guitar soon, because I don't like how the strap knobs aren't quite as big as on the UV.

Overall, considering I got this guitar for $500 I'm very happy with it. I plan to buy the 7 string/baritone case from RondoMusic for it relatively soon. Is the UV a better guitar than the Agile Interceptor Pro? I'd say yes (especially if I decide to put Blackouts in it). However, for the price and for the features it has and you won't have to worry about upgrading anything, I seriously think I'd take the Agile over it. I love my UV to death and would never get rid of it, but to a potential buyer, take a serious look at Agile.
Ah. I am buying a new cab for my ENGL in a couple weeks so I dont know when Ill be getting a new guitar but a 7 string is definately what I want and I dont know what I will get because I really like the UV7BK's and the 777BK's but that Agile has a great price and looks great too...hmmm

#14 ·
The Interceptor Pro's sell out very quickly, they only buy a limited amount. It took months for these new Green quilt guitars to come in after the blue and black flamed Interceptor Pro's were sold out.

The Septor 727's have always had stock pups on them, the (now sold out) Septor 727 with maple fretboard and purple quilt top had stock pups as well.

It's just how they design the model to price it the best for what it is.

Many people consider having a trem an upgrade, as a heel that is thinner (while both are neckthru, the heel on the Pro is significantly cut down), and thus as an attempt like many companies to go up and buy the highest end model, they through EMG's in there as well.

You can custom order any of those guitars (modifications mainly) with Rondo and can have EMG's put in them, or I imagine any other pup as long as they fit the routing (so maybe EMG's WON'T fit in the Septor 727's, haha).

I'm thinking of putting a tremel-no in my UV because the routing in the back doesn't have enough room to put blocks in on both sides without risk of causing damage to the block or the guitar, if I took a picture of it it'd be easier to explain.

The Agile however has plenty of room on both sides of the block, and because I don't plan on ever going back and forth from floating to non floating, I'd much rather just fully block it.

#16 ·
Well back then, I would have to agree.

I've read many things saying those guitars were absolutely terrible.

I've also read MANY things saying they've seriously bumped up their quality since then, and I would have to say - I agree.

But yes I do remember one person on ss.org saying that they once owned one with Blazes and thought it was junk and then trying a new one and agreeing things were MUCH improved.

EDIT: I agree as in, I can see why Dimarzio would request that, however I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. My apologies

#19 ·
To custom order, go to Rondomusic and go to "contact" and just address it to Kurt. He's the man to take care of this.

Most of the customs are barely any more than the actual models to be honest, with a 4 month turnaround time I believe.

The customs, if you have the dimensions and whatnot, can have whatever neck profile you like.

I believe someone on SS.org is even sending Kurt a 2027x neck and have the dimensions of that be the dimensions of the neck.

As for the normal Agile models? No clue, but I'm really happy with the thick neck as of now.

:D

#23 ·
Thanks for the review Drow..

I just managed to snag the Green quilt Agile Interceptor from Blood T on ss.org, for $575 with a case/shipped to me in Canada.. I cant wait to play it! Esp after your encouraging words, makes me excited to find it.

I was really upset I Missed out on the Blue quilt/Maple fretboard one (Esp since I was the major one in August bugging Kurt to make it!) and was very close to ordering a custom one from Kurt, but there was one spec I couldnt finalize with him that bothered me for paying $300 more, because I basically missed out on the normal ones (and my specs wern't really different at all other than bodywood. so not totally worth it).. So I was SUPER lucky to get a used Green Interceptor, as my backup to my Chris Woods 7.

Anyways, cheers on the review! I'll post pics of mine when I get it in soon!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.