New Carvin Holdsworth headless guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

New Carvin Holdsworth headless guitar

I've heard all the good and bad about Carvin over the years. I've always wanted to try one myself, I have a handful of different models and specs in mind that would be nice to have. Time to add another one to the list.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog....php?model=hh2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRtUw...layer_embedded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Re: New Carvin Holdsworth headless guitar

A good friend of mine is a Carvin dealer here in the UK and I've been lucky enough to play a fair few of their guitars and amps, including the original Holdsworth model. I can't think of anything bad that could be said about them, I know some think the pickups were meh, but they sounded great to me personally...top quality guitars at good prices, the most recent one I played was one of their Californian Carved Tops, PRS body shape, and it was flawlessly finished and played great to me, the great thing about guitar is that there is so much choice now, if you are looking for a good quality guitar you won't go wrong with Carvin, the only way to know what you want is to try for yourself, and see if YOU like it! Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger, this new headless guitar is on my wishlist for sure!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

The main complaint I hear about Carvins is that the quality of electronics aren't so great. They're installed with an almost anal-retentive level of detail, but the pots themselves are kinda cheap. FWIW, this is coming from the cork-sniffing crowd that rips out the wiring from a brand new Gibson Historic.

I've never played one, so I can't say, but I CAN say that I think electronics should be the least of your worries on an electric guitar.

Last edited by RedTiger; 01-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Reviews: 4

If the Holdsworth models sound like they do on the Planet X CD "Inertia" then they have a very horn-like quality, with no attack. It's an interesting sound, but not one I'd be in a rush to buy.

I also have no idea if the electronics are versatile or how much of that tone came from the amp vs. the guitar.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM

I can't really say anything about the details of the pots, but I can say that the finish inside the control cavity is a work of art in and of itself, from all the Carvins I've played I've never encountered any problems with electronics, excess noise, or feel of the pots, we have to remember any piece of electronics can only do so much for your sound...replacing what one thinks is a substandard component for another won't drastically improve sound, plus when you look at a signal chain in its entirety who really knows what kind of things effect tone and to what degree. As for the sound of the Holdsworth unplugged its very resonant, and into an amp with distortion you can extract a wide variety of tones that you wouldn't expect from a hollow guitar. I think the horn like sounds were due to a lot of processing and effects rather than the natural sound of the guitar. I've seen vids of Holdsy playing a Charvel Strat and getting similar tones which you wouldn't really expect.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM

I haven't played a Carvin but I have used some of their electronic parts in a few rebuilds and yes, the electronics are surprisings bad quality. They aren't horrible, but no better than your average no name import parts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
If the Holdsworth models sound like they do on the Planet X CD "Inertia" then they have a very horn-like quality, with no attack. It's an interesting sound, but not one I'd be in a rush to buy.

I also have no idea if the electronics are versatile or how much of that tone came from the amp vs. the guitar.
You sure that isn't just signal processing? Holdsworth uses synths and a lot of effects these days to get that horn-like sound.

To put it another way, if you plugged this into a cranked Marshall or Boogie, I doubt it would sound horn-like.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 PM

That sound is Holdsworth's doing, not the guitar. From what I know, when he started playing he wanted to play sax but didn't have one so he learned guitar instead. He wanted to have the sound of a sax and that's how he goes for it. Pretty cool imo.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: New Carvin Holdsworth headless guitar

I wanna get me one of these! Nice bright purple quilt top. Maybe get hold of an old Steinberger transtrem and drop that in. Definatly have to change the pickups, always disliked Carvin pickups. They just don't sound good to me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Reviews: 21

It looks like a "Vito Bratta" Newburgh Steinberger mated with a Tele.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode