The New Custom Axe - DONE! w/pics - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: The New Custom Axe - DONE! w/pics

Yeah we'll see about the mid pup ring, I get the point folks. As for the color, the neck is maple (it looks kinda darkish in the pics but its regular colored flame maple), so it wouldnt really look right. And trust me dude, the body is ROCK solid. This guy's a pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Reviews: 120

That top really deserved not having pickup rings. Other than that, it is quite nice.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm also not a huge fan of the vine . . . It'd be nicer with just a maple board.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM

looks a bit er..... er..... well, hideous IMHO

not my cup of tea, at all
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Those pickup rings look like they were made by a kid in woodshop class. The neck joint also looks horribly uncomfortable. Not a fan of the vine inlay either. Definately doesn't do it for me. Sorry you asked for honest opinions
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 PM

I didn't want to comment but I don't like anything about it sorry. As long as your happy with it that's what matters so ignore my post
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

To each his own fellas, to each his own. I wouldnt play many of the JEMs and RGs and such that I see on this site if you paid me, so I can understand the whole diff strokes for diff folks concept. Except for Neoclasiccl...if you didnt wanna comment, then dont. Simple as that.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
Those pickup rings look like they were made by a kid in woodshop class. The neck joint also looks horribly uncomfortable. Not a fan of the vine inlay either. Definately doesn't do it for me. Sorry you asked for honest opinions
I think the way the picture is taken makes you think that. I've seen it in person and everything looks totally pro. And the neck joint is absolutely perfect. You dont even touch the damn thing till the 21st fret or so, and it gives complete unobstructed access to all 24 frets. Not a fan of the vine inlay? I thought this was JEMsite . Your opinion, same as others, is however welcome.
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

And as for the vine inlay/neck, that picture does make it look like crap. Horrific lighting. Here it is (preheadstock-inlay) in normal lighting:

In retrospect I shouldve just waited till I got it this weekend and taken good pics, instead of posting these meh pics for people to give their opinion on. The guy who builds my guitars has a crappy camera and a poorly lit area in which to take the pics. Check back on Saturday evening if you folks are logged in then, I should have good pics taken with good lighting. I know that doesnt affect the anti-pickup ring sentiment, and I've taken that into consideration, but that should take care of some of the other complaints (particularly the ones that were so productive as to say, "hideous IMHO", you know who you are ).
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM

I dig it. How does it sound?
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cosmic. Nice to hear a positive comment after all that rotten fruit throwing . Answer to your Q is I dont know yet, haha. I assume it should be great..korina is supposedly an excellent tone wood, it's got a nice tonepros string thru body bridge and coiltapped Dimarzios. Its finished but my builders drivin' it up to me this Saturday. I'll post some GOOD pictures, and a full review that evening.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM

pickup rings kill it...
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Here's a cool idea, let's type another 20 replies about disliking the pickup rings, after I said 100 times that im not TOO Certain about them and they might change.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Well, I think it's the guitar is cool and I'm happy you got what you wanted. That being said, the pickup rings and top wood kill it for me. I don't like wooden pickups rings and I don't like pickups rings for single coils either. That's me though so if you like it then more power to you.
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i might swap the rings at some point down the line, we'll see. I like em for now though.

Tags
air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , andy timmons , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge position , cavity cover , chrome hardware , clean tone , coil tap , coil tapping , custom guitar , custom shop , flame maple , guitar body , jem neck , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck humbucker , neck joint , neck position , pickup ring , pickup rings , pointy headstock , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , steve vai , string thru body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode