The New Custom Axe - DONE! w/pics - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM

Re: The New Custom Axe - DONE! w/pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Here's a cool idea, let's type another 20 replies about disliking the pickup rings, after I said 100 times that im not TOO Certain about them and they might change.
Not dissing them but at this point if you get rid of them can the holes be filled or something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Nothin wrong with not liking the rings, its just that I dont need 30 posts bout it, I get the point haha. And yeah absolutely, I have extra korina wood and extra burl, I could easily do it myself. The holes are tiny anyway.
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 PM

Interesting looks like someone spanked your guitar real hard.
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

hahaha. Now THAT is a good comment. That is NOT the color this guitar actually is. Its kinda weird, as i said i shouldnt have posted those pics. Here is an older pic where the color came out normal. Idk wtf is up with the color in those pics, or why i didnt notice it before.

post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 AM

Anyone who puts together a custom shows creativity and I love that. My custom axe is so personal to me now compared to my idol worship guitar of the past. Thinking outside of the box. It's like being in a cover band selling someone elses product.
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Now theres something I can agree with. I feel like I could never play someone else's signature model, like a Vai jem, or a petrucci musicman, or whatever. Why would u want to play a guitar that has some other dudes name on it/image attached to it? My guitars have MY name inlaid into the headstock (well, my nickname, sounds more like a company type name), they're my guitars and represent me, what I like, and the style I play. I couldnt agree with ya more man. Not to mention that each of my customs was under 1400 with case, significantly less than a JEM or a nice les paul or any of that.
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 AM

I think the body shape is cool, and the top wood looks good as well. I'm not sure if the neck really fits the package, but I'm sure it plays well. Something like a nice figured Pau Ferro or macassar board without inlays would have brought out the woodiness of the body more than the Ibanez copy vine. The other thing I might have changed is the headstock. I think it would have looked better with a 3+3 rather than an Ibanez clone. Not a big 3+3, but along the lines of a Gibson V headstock. I think the Ibanez headstock detracts from the 'customness', for lack of a better word, of the instrument. Don't get me wrong, I like Jem necks on Jems, but they seem out of place in other places It makes it look more like a custom body swapped into an Ibby than a whole custom guitar. It's a great looking body though, it has a sort of Driskill/Alembic vibe to it, and I'm sure it will be comfortable. I'm glad you got what you wanted, play it in health
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim for an actual INTERESTING comment, unlike many I've received. I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree to a large extent. In fact, I would definitely give it like a 60% chance that in a few months when I scrounge up the cash I'll come back to my custom builder and get him to build me a totally custom neck for this body, like he did for my first custom guitar (see pics below). Right now I went with this vine copy neck cuz the flame maple looks nice, it seemed pretty good quality, and it was cheap (under 200).

post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Exactly, I think a neck like that would completely change the guitar. Nice, standout grain, the fancy binding fits especially with sparse inlays, and the headstock seems to go better as well. I don't think a pointy headstock really fits on a guitar body that sort of looks a bit squat, for lack of a better term. The RG shape is a long one, and the 6 on a side head looks good on it. The more SG you go, the more a 3+3 fits IMHO.
If you took out the big bass side point on the headstock in the above pic, and maybe gave the top line of the headstock a bit of an indent, like an Ibanez Artist headstock, I think you'd be set.
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I see what you're talking about. In a few months when I scrounge up the cash I'm likely to head back to my custom guy and get a new neck built for it. By that time I'll see if anyone wants my legacy neck, haha. Although the fact that I got that headstock inlay probably makes it unsellable...but I know what I'll do. I'll buy myself a cheap RG body, throw in some dimarzios and stuff and have like a cheaper guitar I can drag around without worrying. Now the question becomes, what color RG body? Black? white? I'm up for anything except swirls haha.

Last edited by shreddersymphony; 03-20-2008 at 11:23 AM.
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM

I completely agree with Jim, especially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It's a great looking body though, it has a sort of Driskill/Alembic vibe to it
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I dig the Alembic vibe and it was kind of what I was shooting for, I'm glad someone but me sees it!
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 PM

First thing I thought, actually. I've always liked that kind of style.
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. Lets just hope it sounds as good as it looks, haha. I'll find out on Saturday. Can't wait. I mean I've never tried this body wood, and ive never tried a maple fretboard, and I've never tried the Evo 2 bridge pickup, so there'll be a lota firsts for me with this one. I hope it'll work out to my liking.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I've never heard of Driskill but I just looked them up and I can see the resemblance, the body bevels, the wood cavity cover, etc. Very cool axes, with some amazing inlay work. I guess I can feel good knowing I only paid 1300 for mine, versus those Driskills which have to be like what, $3000 (base price). Although if i go for the new neck in a few months (thereby making this thing TOTALLY custom), it'll be $1900.

Tags
air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , andy timmons , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge position , cavity cover , chrome hardware , clean tone , coil tap , coil tapping , custom guitar , custom shop , flame maple , guitar body , jem neck , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck humbucker , neck joint , neck position , pickup ring , pickup rings , pointy headstock , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , steve vai , string thru body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode