New DC727 - w/pics! - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Re: New DC727 - w/pics!

Can you take some shots of the cavity to show the imperfections?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM

That's a beautiful guitar, heffergm.

What color is that? Umber stain? And are those jumbo frets?

Also, what are your opinions/findings regarding this, if you don't mind me asking?

Alwin
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Well, jim, I understand where you're coming from on the string spacing. In all actuality, all that matters is whether or not the unit was built from good quality materials (and, of course, put together well), because it has a fairly simple mechanism. It still looks like a toy... but, even in calling it a Floyd ripoff, I'm not knocking it. After all, I see the ESP Eclipse as a Les Paul rip off, but prefer it much more than most Les Pauls that I've come across. Same principal.

AND, Mr. CrazyGuitars: The Edge is not a ripoff. Because I said so. Because it kicks ass. If you want a good argument, I don't have one haha :-D
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Looks nice. Congrats and hope all works out.

I have a student that just recieved his custom DC150 and the bridge pup fades in and out. I told him to call them up and they would happily ship out a replacement but he hasn't called them yet. His guitar is otherwise a very nice axe. I would personally have to sand down the paint where it was taped off on the neck as it just feels wrong when playing the upper part of the fretboard.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
That's a beautiful guitar, heffergm.

What color is that? Umber stain? And are those jumbo frets?

Also, what are your opinions/findings regarding this, if you don't mind me asking?

Alwin
Thank you! A useful, well articulated post

To answer your question, the color is a Classic Burst... sort of. I basically sent them a pic I had found of what I wanted, and they did a nice job replicating it. It's basically a very orange version of a Classic Burst.

The frets are stainless jumbos. I love them!

As for limitation of the LFR without a locking nut...

I've been banging on the trem for a while now, and actually, it's very promising. It stays in tune quite well. There doesn't appear to be any issue with the Sperzels not holding tune. The only slight "issue" is that the trem doesn't want to return to zero-point. It's just slightly one way or the other, and a slight tap of the bar or some bends take care of it. This isn't anything new to folks that are used to played floating trems of any sort.

I think in this case, there are two issues/solutions:
1) lube up the studs with chapstick like I do all my EdgePros
2)they strung the guitar with a .054 low B. Compared to the rest of the set, the tension is very low at that end, and I think balancing the set will help significantly. I'll be restringing soon.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Looks nice. Congrats and hope all works out.

I have a student that just recieved his custom DC150 and the bridge pup fades in and out. I told him to call them up and they would happily ship out a replacement but he hasn't called them yet. His guitar is otherwise a very nice axe. I would personally have to sand down the paint where it was taped off on the neck as it just feels wrong when playing the upper part of the fretboard.
There is a noticeable lip where it goes from no finish/tung oil to where they masked off the paint, but it doesn't bother me.
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks for your reply.

It's really great how one can just be very specific to Carvin, and that they do their best to satisfy the customer's needs. Like how you had a request regarding the color, for instance. It's very great of Carvin.

I really like the color you chose. Ruby red, is also very nice on a DC727, imo. Check it out:

Have fun with your guitar, heffergm!

Alwin
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Ruby red is nice

Triple Blue is nice as well

post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM

OMG that blue is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim I hate you !!!!!!!!!!
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM

Wow , guys calm down, he's got 10 days to decide what he wants to do.
The licensed floyds on these work just fine. I dropped an origianal floyd into mine and the string spacing was actually wider , not narrower, my high E and Low B strings were almost falling off of the edge of the fret board.
So I put the licensed one back on, I've had zero issues with it and I use it all the time.
Mines got a tiny bit of play to it but besides that it's plenty good enough.
the bridge on my 7620 also has a tiny bit of play to it (f'n cheap rip-off) LOL!

Now to get back on topic, I love the colors you picked out, looks very classy.
If you think the route may be off and you want the locking nut , just send it back , they'll fix it right up for you.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 AM

Last edited by Brosa; 02-14-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Heffergm removed link
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post

I made this my desktop pic on one of my work PCs

Gorgeous guitar!
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
An OFR puts the strings a little closer together, but I don't have the exact dimensions handy. Most of the folks I know who've put OFRs on their 7x7s have removed them eventually. Kmanick is a semi regular here who did that. For 99% of musicians there's no upseide to putting an OFR on a 7 string Carvin. As I said, I use my trem and it works fine, sustains well, and is bright and clear.

If Carvin makes a mistake with the wood working, I would definitely send it back. But they don't (in my opinion) use crappy parts. I've owned 5 Carvins, and they've all been great though they haven't all been perfect for me. My 727 is perfect though. And this orange burst one is gorgeous!
So, the LFR on Carvin 7-"sting" models are high quality?

Looks CAN be deceiving, really!
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
- plays beautifully. Great setup work. It's set up basically identically to my Ibbys in terms of neck relief and action... they must be psychic.
I have another question: did you ask Carvin to set the guitar up a certain way? Or is the setup you are referring to the standard Carvin factory setup?

Alwin
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Gorgeous guitar!
+ 1

Alwin

Tags
base plate , beautiful guitar , body shape , bridge pup , carvin guitars , custom guitar , dave weiner , fixed bridge , floating trems , floyd rose , fret access , fret board , jumbo frets , les paul , les pauls , locking nut , locking tuners , neck pickup , neck relief , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , stainless frets , string guitars , string pickup , string pickups , sunburst finish , tung oil , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dc727 fit EMGs?
ibanez rg 550 ? pics
carvin dc727 bare knuckle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode