New disciple observations.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

New disciple observations..

Just got a 1570 and have been a long time user of strats, Les Pauls, etc.
I used to dismiss these guitars somewhat, but now I can see why Gilbert, Vai, and Satch make these their weapon of choice. I have read where people have had quality issues on the newer prestige RGs. Mine is an '07 and I had 3 to choose from, mine had bumpy paint along the edge of the body but sonically and feel-wise smoked the other two so I went with it. I even think the stock pick-ups are quite good. You read Harmony central reviews where some kid says the stock V8s suck but he is playing it out of a Crate or Behringer. I have several amps, JCM800s, Soldano and I put this guitar right against my 1991 ESP Kamikaze with the Screamin Demon and it was quite close sonically, I was surprised. It did lack bass response, and I like a little more articulation but hey the other guitar is like $3K!! Ibanez does need to address quality control though. I honestly expected better paint from a "Prestige" line guitar. I notice alot of variance amongst advice for pick ups. To be honest I think the lead tone of the stock pick-ups are great. I would like a similar tone but with more clarity. I don't think that I want to goto EVOS, although I havent tried it, from what I hear it will be a thinner sound...anyways thanks for any feedback...Glad to join the Ibanez army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Re: New disciple observations..

Welcome to the forum fellow Floridian

The most popular (not my personal choice) is the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo for basswood RGs. I'm personally finding a new love affair with PAF pups for their clarity and how they don't seem to color my tone but let my hands and gear do the coloring.

I wouldn't recommend an Evo unless you put a cap on the pot to relieve some of the brightness or go with 250k pots and loose a little output in the process. I'm interested in trying the Air Zone series as they semm like they would be closer to the PAFs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Reviews: 1

Welcome.
It took YEARS for me to justify a Japanese guitar. I always played American Strats and LP's growing up and never considered Jap guitars as REAL guitars.

It was like selling out-you know?

Then a friend let me play his brand new LNG in the late 80's and I 'started' to convert. Right around 1990 I was still playing strats but this new gunslinger was really making a noise in the guitar world - Steve Vai - so I got Passion & Warfare. END OF STORY.

If it was good enough for him - I'm in! Then of course, I realized all the other shredders were playing Ibanez and I became a total convert and huge fan.
Now I can't imagine playing anything else - and frankly nothing else offers as much as the Jem/Universe/RG-style guitars. I still love strats - but they are limited guitars and don't allow me to play like Jems do.

So go jump in with both feet man. You will definitely enjoy the ride!

-jemaholic
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Check out Bare Knuckle Pickups if you are after something a little different.

They sound awesome, and Tim is a true gentleman. Don't hesitate to email him as he is helpful and informative. Also, check out the forum, as there are plenty of sound clips to help you decide exactly which pickup suits you best.

Good Luck in your search for tone, and congratulations on joining the Ibanez club.

Rock on!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM

I have 2 RGs and a Jem. My favorite of the two RGs (520) has a tone-zone / paf pro combo and I can't imagine using anything else. Its crazy, its my oldest and cheapest guitar and hands down it sounds the best. Its also far more stable than my newer guitars.

My other RG (2550) has a fred and a sustainiac. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the fred.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I know a guy that runs sound locally for a moderate scale venue..he suggested the BBE Sonic Stomp. Might do the trick. Back in the day, you didnt have so many pick ups out there and I want to keep the character of my amp intact (Marshall). I may give that a shot and see how the sound improves before changing pickups.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , bare knuckle pickups , bass response , bbe sonic , bbe sonic stomp , les paul , les pauls , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo , sonic stomp , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode