New epiphone Flying V, Annihilation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

New epiphone Flying V, Annihilation

For the metal heads here whom may have missed the info epiphone is about to put out a new V model, Jeff waters signature model called annihilation (sorry the name is a bit too much for me).

Anyway I'm not a metal head my self but I love the look and the overall specs.
Body: V shape made out of mahogany.

Neck: 24 frets, slim taper profile, phenolic fingerboard, "deep set" neck (means long tenon?) also made out mahogany.

Electronic, two Gibson USA signature pick-ups, waters describe them as twisted/over-wound paf (so not real high output pick-ups). One volume pot with push/pull for split, a three selector, and a "momentary" kill switch.

Here a pick of the guitar:

I really like the red one, it's quiet a looker imho.

I've grown use to the twenty four frets of my yam RGX420s, still I can no longer bear the floyd on top of that I got used to its fender diapason but I feel more comfortable on Gibson diapason. I could live with it but I would have to change the pich-ups for something more vintage (I've been thinking for a while about cheap GFS PAF or mean 90 actually to give you a better picture).
My old (94) LP epiphone badly needs a refresh:
tuners are close to dead as well as the nut, the bridge is also worn out, pots are getting old, pick-ups metal covers no longer "hold" in place and lately they started to squeeze... (that's quiet a lot I know ).

Overall electronic aside I really consider that this model could be a good base for blues/rock instrument which would not look like every and his brother V guitar
My rgx while a good guitar for its price it's not really suit to my needs and while I still love my LP I would have to sink quiet some money in it to make it my main guitar again.
I really consider this model:
24 frets: checked
Good profile neck: => slim taper checked
Fingerboard: mahogany is a warn wood still I like highs, phenolic is super durable and responsive and bright and so should bring more life to the sound
V shape: checked
Weirdos look for the intended use: checked.

I would most like put a tone put in place of the kill switch and for pick-ups I would consider bright GFS buckers (thinks their retrotron line) or most likely a mean 90 combo. Given more money I would seriously consider dimarzio EJ custom

Anyway, I'm short stacked right now especcially as I've just moved to a new apartment on top of it I'll go visit my wife's parents i USA this summer no that I'm unhappy about that but during the summer the flights will cost use quiet some bucks...

still I guess there is nothing wrong with dreaming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM

Re: New epiphone Flying V, Annihilation

wow, i wouldn't have thought Jeff Waters was big enough to sell a sig guitar, especially considering annihilators last album...

But one for the kids i think
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_legend View Post
wow, i wouldn't have thought Jeff Waters was big enough to sell a sig guitar, especially considering annihilators last album...

But one for the kids i think
Indeed I didn't know who was Jeff Waters when I read about this new V model

Between signature model are a double edge sword as i see very little interest/excitement about this guitar no matter itss interesting characteristics.
Ok the model is still not out and nobody got his hand on it to say if it's worse it but I feel like there would have been more noise among the metal crown if Epiphone had released the guitar under prophecie/whatever name/serie.

Anyway I don't care for signature,the guitar got my interest not the player (not a judgement on Waters I don't really know his works with annihilation).

Last edited by Laionel; 04-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Reviews: 6

Annihilator has been around since 1999, and Jeff Waters is the driving force. If you look them up on Youtube, you'll see that they've had more lead singer transplants than anyone -- Waters does all of the writing (or at least he did). At one point, IIRC, he was even directing their videos.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 21

Jeff Waters is a killer guitarist!!! But when did he switch from RAN Guitars? Ran make some stellar guitars...just check out their website...their finishes and quality are awesome!!

http://www.ranguitars.com/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Well when I discovered the guitar I did some search on youtube about his works and it looks pretty interesting (even if it's not my cup of tea, more a matter of taste than anything else). From what I've seen Waters seems indeed to be a really good guitarist

By the way RAN are touted to offer incredible value for the money still they're not in the same price range as Epiphone.

Last edited by Laionel; 04-23-2010 at 10:27 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Reviews: 21

Yeah RAN guitars are definately not cheap...but their quality kicks some serious butt!!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Lightbulb Re: New epiphone Flying V, Annihilation

Any idead about the radius/scale length? I was on Gibson's website yesterday and they don't mention any specs.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Im a metal guy and even though im not much a gibson/epiphone v fan I want to check this guitar out.

For those of you who dont know Jeff's work check out his first 2 albums Alice in Hell and Never Neverland both are classics. The guy is a beast on guitar and has been ask to join Megadeth numerous. He isn't well known in the states but Annihilator is big Europe and Japan. He's has a band for 20 plus years now so he must be doing something right.

p.s. his last album "metal" is a cool album
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickAxeBro View Post
Any idead about the radius/scale length? I was on Gibson's website yesterday and they don't mention any specs.
I read it somewhere, it's 14" "pretty" flat and standard Gibosn diapason 24.75

EDIT it was actually on Epihone website:
Specifications:
Body Material: Mahogany
Neck Material: Mahogany
Neck Shape Options: 1960's Slim-Taper; D profile
Neck Joint: "Deep-Set", Glued-In
Truss Rod: Adjustable
Scale Length: 24.75"
Fingerboard Material: Phenolic with custom "Annihilator Devil" Inlays
Neck Pickup: Gibson USA JWR Humbucker (4-wire)
Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA JWT Humbucker (4-wire)
Controls: 3-way Pickup Selector, Master Volume with push/pull coil-tapping (both pickups)
Fingerboard Radius: 14"
Frets: 24; medium-jumbo
Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar
Nut Width: 1-11/16" (graphite)
Hardware: Black
Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 ratio
Colors: Annihilation Red (gloss); Pitch Black (satin)
Includes: Hard Case
Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime

Last edited by Laionel; 04-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Annihilator has been around since 1999, and Jeff Waters is the driving force. If you look them up on Youtube, you'll see that they've had more lead singer transplants than anyone -- Waters does all of the writing (or at least he did). At one point, IIRC, he was even directing their videos.
Actually, Annihilator have been formed since 1984...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7CdRNTORw
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Not a fan of the red inlays...
I preferred his Ran Custom guitars, but I suppose he's probably getting more out of these really... can't blame him.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Here's another video in support of his great playing. I found out about annihilator through the Roadrunner United DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbZUetnCbDU
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_legend View Post
Actually, Annihilator have been formed since 1984...
Sorry -- typo.

Tags
epiphone v jeff waters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode