New EVH Striped Series guitar - issues? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

New EVH Striped Series guitar - issues?

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hey Guys,

I received one of the new EVH stripes series guitars last week, a red / white / black one, # 62. While the guitar looks great, I was a little disappointed in how it felt / played etc especially compared to my EVH wolfgang special.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is an issue with the guitar or not and since EVH will not return my emails for whatever reason, maybe someone in here can shed some light.

When the guitar arrived, the action and the neck were setup pretty good. The action is low and the neck is almost dead straight. However, the angle of the bridge is not parallel with the body and actually slopes down towards the fine tuners of the guitar.

If I lower the 2 pivot screws on the bridge, it lowers down the front so that the bridge does become parallel with the body but then at that point, the strings are already on top of the frets where you cannot play it. The action right now is at 3/64 and any lower and it starts to fret out. If I loosen the screws in the back cavity, the rear of the bridge begins to lift off the guitar where the base is no longer touching the body. At this point, I don't know what to do.

I guess it's not the end of the world that the bridge isn't parallel but I own 12 guitars including a few EVH wolfgangs and all of those bridges are parallel. Is there anything I can do to fix this? [/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Re: New EVH Striped Series guitar - issues?

Adjust the claw and springs in the back cavity to get the bridge parallel to the body. It's an easy fix.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM

and congrads on a cool guitar too!!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

If I adjust the claw and springs, the whole base of the trem doesn't sit flat to the body as it needs to, especially with the D tuna so that won't work. I am guessing I may need to shim the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbreed View Post
Adjust the claw and springs in the back cavity to get the bridge parallel to the body. It's an easy fix.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Do you have any pictures? It does sound like an easy fix though and maybe a neck shim?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Do you have any pictures? It does sound like an easy fix though and maybe a neck shim?

I do have pics which I will post if I can't figure it out. Going to try a neck shim towards the headstock portion of the neck to see if that helps.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Set the level of the pivot screws back to where they were when it came from the factory. My guess is that the trem is not floating but resting on the body at the tuner end. In order to properly use the d-tuna the trem cannot be floating but must rest against the body. I had this issue with my EVH Wolfgang Special. What I did was to take the back trem cover off then press down the trem bar until the bridge base was parellel with the body, then support the bridge in this position with a magazine or cardboard or something similar under the tuners. Now measure the distance between the block and the front of the tremolo block to the body precisely and make a small wooden shim or block to fit in there. Attach the block/shim with two sided carpet tape. Now the trem will rest against this block rather than the body therefore keeping it level in the resting position and you should have approx 1/4" clearance above the body to operate the d-tuna. Note it took me a few tries to get the block the exact size to keep the bridge level. You can basically then loosen the spring claw just enough to keep the trem resting on the block.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Note: no need to shim the neck - thus screwing with the setup of the guitar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM

The D-Tuna won't work unless the bridge is resting on the body - and to set it up properly it'll likely not be parallel. But on the plus side, dive-only rules.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
The D-Tuna won't work unless the bridge is resting on the body - and to set it up properly it'll likely not be parallel. But on the plus side, dive-only rules.
This makes sense, and on my guitars that I went with dive only, I would tighter the springs in back quite a bit just in case I broke a string making sure the tuning would hold on other five strings. Usually the bridge is lower on screw adjustment side and higher on fulcrum side.

Floating, and thus usually setting bridge parallel to body or slightly tilted towards the fulcrum, is great for pulling up and thus adding a lot more range but if you snap even one string, you are in trouble with other five tuning wise. There's not a lot of room to pull up on a floating bridge if there's no pull up routing but I would rest palm on back of bridge a little harder to get some sharpening of note/chord.

The only downside to bridge sitting right on body and dive only setup, especially with tension on springs to compensate for at least one string breaking yet still staying in tune, is that it tends to dent the body where the bridge meets it. Unless the body is made out of carbon graphite there's going to be a divot in time where the bridge touches the body. That being said it's much more fail safe in live situations to have bridge against body and springs tightened in the back thus having the tuning stability of a true fixed bridge guitar.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode