New to forum - was it difficult to switch to a 7 string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

New to forum - was it difficult to switch to a 7 string?

I am new on the boards. I was wanting to pick up a Ibanez 7 string, but was wondering if any of you found it difficult to switch over? I have never played a 7 string, but we want to start using some detunings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:16 PM

This has been covered before, the general opinion of the forum is that it depends on the person.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I am fairly flexible - and adjust quickly, my only other worry is it will render all my 6 string guitars obsolete (in the band setting).

www.Crypticvisions.com
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:20 PM

Depending on whether or not you use alternate tunings, it might. If you stick to standard tuning, and maybe 1/2-step down, or drop-D, you may find you only need 7-strings. However, that may not be the case if you really like the sound of your 6-strings on their respective songs.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:37 PM

in my case the size of the neck was no problem. what got me a little lost at first is that in my mind the top string is the low E, so i don't think to hit it. with the 7, you have to think a little, and sometimes you want to play the D and hit A. a few hours solves it!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I figured. A few hours will solve it. I used to play scalloed necks all the time, it took a while to get used to, but regular fretboards felt strange after. Our bass player uses a 6 string - standard tuning starting with B - I would keep it the same. I guess I've got to go get a 7 string now.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 30
I never had a problem switching from 6 to 7. It's really all in your head. And the cool thing about it is playing a 6 isn't really weird to me after years of a 7. You get used to them and they all have their own uniquness to them after a while in my opinion.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:55 PM

7-strings are definitely very cool, and you most likely won't be disappointed (as long as you get a decent axe).
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 06:09 AM

How to get used to a 7string before getting it, a good tip:

take 2 guitars, keep one normally tuned, but tune the other to what the lower 6 strings on a 7 would be. Then practice your scales on the retuned guitar. Should give you a good idea of how it works. This did help me a bit...

Other than that, all I did was adjust my left hand position to a more classical style and was away. It takes a while to get used to, but it's worth it just for the fun you can have coming up with crap and new things

And you should be able to play all your old songs (if they were in E tuning) on the 7, also, learning to play them like that should improve playing and get away from a reliance (if you have one, if not, ignore) on the low string being the pivotal one for riffing

Coolness indeed
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I have a RG 760 in route. If I can adjust okay, I'll pick up a Universe. All our material is in standard tuning - I will just have to get used to the idea of transposing the strings (placement changed from 6 string). I will probably spend about 3-4 hours with it the first day after I get it set up. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:43 PM

On Wednesday morning, January 17, 2001, I walked into my local music store and saw a used UV on the wall. At that point , I'd never played a 7 string before.

On Wednesay evening, January 17, 2001, I walked into my gig with that very same UV and did the whole gig on it.

I was lucky enough to find the Jem I wanted a few months later, but both guitars come with me to both gigs - i use the UV as my backup and for all of the tuned-down/drop D stuff (standard tuning)

hope that gives you encouragement
~K
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:51 AM

Kenny, that is AWESOME. My transition was a bit slower, but for me, almost right off the bat the neck felt better than a regular Wizard neck.

Kinda a related story... I was drinking with a friend of mine one night, chilling in his room, and just for the hell of it i picked up his left handed banjo, flipped it over, and started doing some sitar-like riffs on the thing (actually sounded pretty cool- the "buzz" was pretty authentic). A couple minutes later, a few girls i didn't know walked in. We introduced ourselves, and they grabbed drinks, while i kept playing. Then, just to make conversation, one of them asked, "So... how long have you been playing banjo?"

I answered, "about 15 minutes." Her reaction was priceless.

-Drew
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:59 AM

I don't know what is worse....the fact that you continued to play banjo with girls around....or that the girls stayed around while you played the banjo
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:09 AM

After that "15 minutes" comment, I'm sure they were impressed enough to ignore the fact that it's a banjo.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 01:23 AM

I use it to put some add-ons on the covers we play, plus all the original songs that my band play, are done with the other guitarist playing a 6 string on E tuning and me on a 7-string using the drop-D tuning (AEADGBE), and believe me, you can make some killer combinations!!

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , dean evo , dean evo special , guitar shop , local music store , low strings , music store , string guitars , string necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode