New to forum need advice on my first Ibanez! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

New to forum need advice on my first Ibanez!

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I am thinking about buying my first Ibanez. I currently own several high end guitars so I am considering only a Prestige level Ibanez. There are 3 models I am considering new. They include the: RG2550E, RG1550M and the RG3550MZ. The first 2 I can get for under $1000 and the RG3550MZ I can also get discounted. The RG2550E is listed as coming with DiMarzio IBZ pickups, the RG1550M is listed as coming with V8, S1 and V7 pickups and the RG3550MZ has a Dimarzio Tone Zone, Dimarzio True Velvet and a Dimarzio Air Norton. My Charvel has DiMarzios so I know what those are like but I don't know about the DiMarzio IBZ pickups or the V8, S1 and V7 pickups. First, I am looking for your general opinion about which guitar is "better" if that applies in this case. I also would appreciate any input on the pickups I listed. I don't want to have to mod the guitar or upgrade the pickups so Id rather spend more on the RG3550MZ if those pickups are far superior. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Reviews: 9
Re: New to forum need advice on my first Ibanez!

If you want to buy a guitar that you don't have to mod, go for the 3550, the Zero is (here comes the debate) a better bridge, and the Dimarzio/IBZ and V7/V8 pickups are for lack of a better term, substandard. Significantly enough that it would hinder the guitar in such a wasy that you'd want DiMarzios eventually. The problem with the 3550's is the stupid colours they come in.

I personally would go for the 1550 and put DiMarzios in it.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Both models come in a white option is there a reason why you would chose the 1550 over the 3550 other than pickups?
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Reviews: 1

since you currently own several high end guitars, your first Ibanez should be a JEM or J-custom
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
since you currently own several high end guitars, your first Ibanez should be a JEM or J-custom
Good call!

But I was actually about to mention that you shouldn't discredit some of the older Ibanez workhorses such as the 550's and 570's. Great bang for the buck, and IMO the only way to go if you're looking at doing any mods.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Im open to suggestions what JEM or J-custom do you recommended? (btw I dont have $2000 for this haha)
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 AM

Reviews: 2

Go with the 1550 since right now Ibanez has a $100 rebate on it. If you have a Charvel with Dimarzios I'm going to assume its the So-Cal model which means that it has a Tone Zone as the bridge pickup. You said you liked how the Charvel sounded so just use the money saved and get another Tone Zone for the 1550. Or be adventurous and try something different.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise5150 View Post
Im open to suggestions what JEM or J-custom do you recommended? (btw I dont have $2000 for this haha)
You don't need all that. 260703993389 on 3baY.

Please buy it before I have to!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 9

I'd take the 1550 over the 3550 because you're paying significantly more for a similar neck, a slightly different bridge and some horrible colours. All the 3550's have sparkly paint, that horrible mirror pickguard and multicolour pickups. The 1550 plays exactly the same, you don't have to worry about the ZPS on the bridge and the colours are more block which I prefer. Better bang for your buck, you get to chose the pickups effectively (because you're saving so much money) and you get a rebate on them at the moment.

1550 for me, largely aesthetic, but they are the same essential guitar as the 3550.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 1

how about this? JCRG- 10

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. So If I'm understanding the RG Prestige line correctly or at least the ones I have listed, they are all essentially the same same guitars with different paint, pickups and the Edge Pro bridge vs the Edge-Zero bridge? Plus which bridge between those 2 does everyone prefer and why?

Last edited by noise5150; 12-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise5150 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. So If I'm understanding the RG Prestige line correctly or at least the ones I have listed, they are all essentially the same same guitars with different paint, pickups and the Edge Pro bridge vs the Edge-Zero bridge? Plus which bridge between those 2 does everyone prefer and why?
Yes, they are all the same except for the pickups, bridge, and the 3550 has a slightly thinner (1mm thinner) neck.

All the workmanship and finishing are to the same (high) standard.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 2

The Edge-Zero and the Edge-pro are so close in playing characteristics that difference is negligible. That being said, the comparison between these three guitars is apples to apples. If you MUST have the "super wizard" neck, then the 3550 is your only choice. It has been stated that the "super" wizard is only 1mm thinner than Original wizard. Not much of a difference if you ask me, especially if your used to the thicker (I'm assuming, cant find specs) Charvel neck. Both necks are EXTREMELY comfortable, so in the end your basically paying a higher premium for the pups in the 3550 that you could buy and install in either the 2550 or the 1550 and probably still have some cash left over.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The Edge-Zero and the Edge-pro are so close in playing characteristics that difference is negligible. That being said, the comparison between these three guitars is apples to apples. If you MUST have the "super wizard" neck, then the 3550 is your only choice. It has been stated that the "super" wizard is only 1mm thinner than Original wizard. Not much of a difference if you ask me, especially if your used to the thicker (I'm assuming, cant find specs) Charvel neck. Both necks are EXTREMELY comfortable, so in the end your basically paying a higher premium for the pups in the 3550 that you could buy and install in either the 2550 or the 1550 and probably still have some cash left over.
Thank you for the info that makes sense
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM

I would like to throw out there that NAMM is right around the corner. If you don't absolutely love one of the guitars you mentioned, it might be worth it to see what Ibanez comes out with in about a month. Hopefully they bring back a 3550 style guitar with rosewood fingerboard and all pickups the same color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez JCRG10
JCRG10-
JCRG10
jcrg10*

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode