New Gear Week!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
New Gear Week!!!

I picked up an excellent condition RGR421EXFM Yesterday. I absolutely love the look of this guitar and the neck! The pickups are decent but I know she's a keeper having a mohogany body and maple top so I went out today and picked up a new pickup set for her. Granted, I need to go out and buy a soldering iron now. I'm planning on swapping the pickups myself. It will be a first for me. I swapped pickguards with someone on my strat and watched him resolder the input jack wire. It looked easy enough. Can someone let me know if doing a complete pickup swap is really that much harder?

Also, the hotrod set I got are SH not trembuckers. I measured both my strat and the new RG and the string spacing on the strat is definately wider. I measured 2-1/32" from E to E at the bridge pickup on the RG and 2-5/32" on my strat. I've also read that Ibanez really floats in between Fender and Gibson so I just went with standard spacing.

Pics or it didn't happen right??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Re: New Gear Week!!!

Are those passive pickups or actives in the guitar now. If their active you'll need new pots, wiring and capacitors as well. Nice guitar though!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

There V7 / V8's. It's hard to tell from the picture.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Very nice. Great looking top on that guitar!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm a sucker for flame tops. BTW, something I didn't think about until now... The rg has a 5 way switch which cuts both pickups to single coil. Are these pickups capable? If not I could still use my 5 way switch right?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportrider24 View Post
Thanks! I'm a sucker for flame tops. BTW, something I didn't think about until now... The rg has a 5 way switch which cuts both pickups to single coil. Are these pickups capable? If not I could still use my 5 way switch right?
yes. check the forum for the wiring diagram.. I would send you to the Seymour site but they only have wiring to a super 5 way witch is probably different from what you have. since its your 1st time, you may want to just cut the original wires a bit up from the switch and twist and solder the new pickup's wires to the old wires.. you just have to know the color codes for the Ibby pickups and the seymours and match them up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for looking! I found the same diagram on SD site but wasn't sure if it was the right one. I also checked Ibanez site and Ibanez rules with no luck. I'll do some more searching. Worst case, I could document and mark every wire coming out and use that exactly for what needs to go in. Just a little overwhelming. There's a lot of wiring in there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Also, I was a little mistaken about the configuration selection for the pickups.

1- neck, 2- neck parallel connected, center - both pickups, 4- bridge/neck split, 5- bridge.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Found some diagrams that may work. I found them based on a search for the 5 way I believe I have (part# 3PS1SC5). Hopefully these are correct and will help others in the future.

Last edited by Sportrider24; 09-17-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Tags
rgr421exfm , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode