New Gibsons - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: New Gibsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540s View Post
You make some valid points but to counter for a moment, I believe Slash has been using mostly actual Gibsons for the last decade or so. Appetite is somewhere around 20 years ago now isnt it?

Also, There have plenty of updated LP's, the DC's, offering different neck profiles, chambered bodies etc.... However for whatever the ones closest to those over weight clunky dinosaurs seem to be the best sellers in the line up.
Slash is paid to appear with Gibsons now. So yes, for the last decade, he's been associated with Gibsons. But then again, I don't know anyone who says, "I want to sound like Slash's Snakepit."

Actually, your mention of chambered bodies reminded me of another issue. For whatever reason, Gibson can't seem to make a solid-body Les Paul that comes in at chiropractic-approved weights lately. Some attribute this problem to the lack of good timber for making guitars. Gibson's solution has been to hollow out large pockets of the guitar's body- which they call chambering. Whether or not you appreciate the reduction in weight, the likelihood is that it will change the tones available. Look around, why do you think so few hard rockers play hollow-bodies? They feedback and lack mid-range response. On the plus side, they are lighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM

I laughed at the fact that Gibson is making a replica of a replica of a Gibson

crazy Zakk axe

I wonder if the trems are down only or full floating trems? Do they have a lock nut (I'd think they would but you never know with some dsesigns, ie Carvin)?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
But then again, I don't know anyone who says, "I want to sound like Slash's Snakepit."

I spit my coffee out when I read that... & have no rebuttle whatsoever! I doubt very much it has anything to do with the guitar being played though

When mentioning the chambering you should point out that sometimes they forget to blow the chips out before gluing the tops down so some of the guitars will rattle if you shake them However my experience with the chambered LP's is they are really no more prone to feedback than non chambered. Essentially holes/cavities are drilled in the bodies, but not to the point where it's open in there like a hollow body.... at least from picturees I've seen.. I cannot say I have ever removed a LP top to look for myself.

I was really just looking to point out that Gibson over the years has actually done quite a bit of updating the basic LP designs but the traditional versions are still in demand.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the399 View Post
Are you angry of something? No one is forcing you to buy one or anything.

how about the the Fender jeff beck tele $12,000
Or the SRV $17,000
Or hay you could buy a pastic jem for $5,000.

Gibson makes Les Pauls and Semi hollow bodes guitars. They dont make Strats or Strat type guitars like every one else does. Also as you mention why dont they do something different. lets see, They made the Vee and the Explorer in 58, they made neck throughs in 63 revers head stocks in 63 hockey stick head stocks in 58. They tried to make strat styles in the 80 and failed. So Gibsons makes what they sell. Cant blame them.

I dont see those Ibanez semi hollows flying of the shelves, but they sell plenty of RG's dont they. They also seem to have alot of variations of RG's to boot. I'm not compaining. Hell I own a RGA 121 and 321. Fine guitars, and so are my Les Pauls too.
Yeah but those Fenders are limited runs and appeal to a small line of customers who want replicas. The trash we just rubbed all over our eyes up there is just the same 60 year old guitar with a different paint job. I'd rather pay 6000 for a guitar with a genuinely different look and feel than get a gibson with a "passer" paint job like flames. How more mundane can a guitar get? Usually i wouldn't complain, but honestly dude, they have nothing working well for them right now so they should be thinking about a products that more innovative and useful so then like Ibanez they could have the luxury of selling them in black only lol.

Nothing wrong with a les paul, i just think that i would skip the Gibson stall at NAMM unless i wanted to see what it's looked like for the past some odd years. They took a step in the right direction with the self tuning Gibby, but let's see what else they can come up with now...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM

The Slash model is tailored after the '80's standard plain top he uses, not the '59 copies.

Tags
alex lifeson , custom shop , electric guitar , equipped guitar , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , gibson custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , guitar mag , guitar players , hollow body , jackson soloist , jeff beck , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , lock nut , neck joint , strat style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode