New Guitar Day!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
New Guitar Day!!


By uberthrall


Just got this off the bay last week. $650 shipped with the original case.
It's my first 770......been targeting one for awhile now. I cant say enough
good things about this one......particulary the neck,really nice!!
uberthrall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Re: New Guitar Day!!


By uberthrall


Here's another shot.
uberthrall is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: New Guitar Day!!

hell ya... those are sweet guitars.
here's a story I'd like to share.... i think it was around 4 - 5 years ago a mutual friend called me up and asked me what guitar he should buy (he's not quite a newbie but seldom knows anything about guitar brands) and I told him I'll look around and tell 'em what to look for... I called him the next day and told him there was a red 770DX that was going for <$400 with OHSC... I told him I was going to get it if I had that kind of cash but I refered the ad to him... the following week, he showed up during my band's rehearsal [at the time] and whipped this red beast out... it was in players condition but the maple board and neck with the binding felt nice.... even the stocks were more than average. I was sold on finding a 7xx series after playing his guitar(just not red ). I ended up finding a 760 a year or so later for <$200
But these models are RG's at its finest... next step above these would be a Jem It looks orange on my screen but I know that's a red guitar... not quite road flare but just as bright.
I'm glad to know guitars from this era have been appreciating in value... even a player's guitar in great condition is still a good deal compared to let's say buying a "new" Ibanez within the same price range. At least these guitars are MIJ but assembled in Hollywood...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 08-23-2007 at 10:55 PM.
reguv760 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Thanks,yeah these Ibbys really are appreciating in value.......at what seems
to be an almost exponential rate as of late. Of course that's a dual edged
sword. On one hand,for those of us that have them,it's nice to know that
the value is going up. But on the other hand.....no more $200 760s or ones
like the $250 DY and RFR 550s I scored a few years ago!! As far as the
color,it's more of a candy apple red.......not my color of choice for sure but,
I'm not complaining. And I totally agree about the new Ibbys.....it seems
Ibanez is its own worst competition.
uberthrall is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Thanks,yeah these Ibbys really are appreciating in value.......at what seems to be an almost exponential rate as of late. Of course that's a dual edged sword. On one hand,for those of us that have them,it's nice to know that the value is going up. But on the other hand.....no more $200 760s or ones like the $250 DY and RFR 550s I scored a few years ago!! As far as the
color,it's more of a candy apple red.......not my color of choice for sure but,
I'm not complaining. And I totally agree about the new Ibbys.....it seems
Ibanez is its own worst competition.
damn... i remember seeing those kind of prices at small instrument shops years ago... i feel old now :\
When I found my 760DG, I was skeptical about it being fake cause I'd never thought RG's came in dark colors during the late 80s... I bought it from a guy who received it as a gift from his older brother... it wasn't quite the right guitar for him to play in church... it was missing parts but upgrading what was missing along with upgrading the p/u's involved a deal with a friend who somehow scored a boxload of Def Leppard's guitar parts... but that's another story for another thread

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 08-23-2007 at 11:37 PM.
reguv760 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasbane View Post
damn... i remember seeing those kind of prices at small instrument shops years ago... i feel old now :\
When I found my 760DG, I was skeptical about it being fake cause I'd never thought RG's came in dark colors during the late 80s... I bought it from a guy who received it as a gift from his older brother... it wasn't quite the right guitar for him to play in church... it was missing parts but upgrading what was missing along with upgrading the p/u's involved a deal with a friend who somehow scored a boxload of Def Leppard's guitar parts... but that's another story for another thread

Reg
Being from LA I bet you did run into some good deals on guitars. I lived out
there in 87 and 88. Man the deals I ran into in the pawn shops and stores
out there.....even the GC on Sunset. Alot of people moving out there and
after a while realizing they'd rather sleep indoors and eat than keep their
guitar.....LOL!! I shouldn't laugh but it made for what you might call a
target rich enviroment!!
uberthrall is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Posts: 402
Reviews: 6
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Sweet axe, congrats.

Just too much red for me, personally i'd prefer more black to lessen the effect the red has but anyways enjoy your new guitar.
Mike239 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:15 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Being from LA I bet you did run into some good deals on guitars. I lived out
there in 87 and 88. Man the deals I ran into in the pawn shops and stores
out there.....even the GC on Sunset. Alot of people moving out there and
after a while realizing they'd rather sleep indoors and eat than keep their
guitar.....LOL!! I shouldn't laugh but it made for what you might call a
target rich enviroment!!
oh ya... finding old school ibanez's are easy to find just not the neon's, especially in great condition and unmodified... 5xx and 7xx usually come up here and there... there's at least 1 Jem in any GC or Sam Ash but I have yet to come across a j-custom but i've come across and seen a few LACS models...
As for buying for something "new" nowadays, I'd have to find an older prestige model

Reg
reguv760 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
Sweet axe, congrats.

Just too much red for me, personally i'd prefer more black to lessen the effect the red has but anyways enjoy your new guitar.


Thanks Mike, yeah I usually dont go for red at all but I was able to overlook
it to get a 770dx. I would have prefered the lazer blue but at $650 shipped
I can live with the red. I saw one of these somewhere (maybe here cant
remember) that the guy who owned her swapped out the pups for yellow
Dimarzios. Looked interesting. I got a green EVO coming that might be a
candidate......maybe really bastardize it and get green knobs and a green
switch tip too. I got a zebra Tone Zone and Air Norton as well that I might
try. The stock pups sound pretty good mind you but I think they can be
improved upon. Still haven't made up my mind though......stay tuned I guess.
uberthrall is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasbane View Post
oh ya... finding old school ibanez's are easy to find just not the neon's, especially in great condition and unmodified... 5xx and 7xx usually come up here and there... there's at least 1 Jem in any GC or Sam Ash but I have yet to come across a j-custom but i've come across and seen a few LACS models...
As for buying for something "new" nowadays, I'd have to find an older prestige model

Reg

Oh yeah.....the neons are tough to snag for an affordable price for sure.
You'd think Ibanez would be cranking them out in big numbers but........
uberthrall is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 AM
 
mi2tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 7,559
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Beautiful! Congratz!
mi2tom is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abington,MA
Posts: 734
Reviews: 2
Smile Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Beautiful! Congratz!
Thanks man!!
uberthrall is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
Posts: 1,056
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Nice axe, I love it !
GTR-MAN is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,366
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Thanks,yeah these Ibbys really are appreciating in value.......at what seems
to be an almost exponential rate as of late. Of course that's a dual edged
sword. On one hand,for those of us that have them,it's nice to know that
the value is going up. But on the other hand.....no more $200 760s or ones
like the $250 DY and RFR 550s I scored a few years ago!! As far as the
color,it's more of a candy apple red.......not my color of choice for sure but,
I'm not complaining. And I totally agree about the new Ibbys.....it seems
Ibanez is its own worst competition.
Oh I think that red is gorgeous!!! What a HOT guitar! I have a nail polish that would match it perfectly!
FloridaNative is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 904
Re: New Guitar Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Oh I think that red is gorgeous!!! What a HOT guitar! I have a nail polish that would match it perfectly!
Me too! Oh, wait a minute I probably shouldn't have said that....

Lovely guitar. And it could never be 'too' red!
DavyH is offline  
Reply

Tags
air norton , bfp jem , candy apple red , def leppard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , sam ash , tone zone

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny guitar article Dino All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 40 05-11-2007 08:24 PM
Guitar Player, Guitar World Back Issues (Satch & Vai) jippy Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 12-24-2005 12:40 AM
guitar man with nothing but bad attitude Joshka All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 0 02-25-2004 09:58 AM
Any classical guitar gurus out there? looking for appraisal Willin All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 4 09-17-2002 06:55 PM
tonight's guitar tech and mod work - my RG520Q is a tone MON AJ Love Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 4 09-04-2001 07:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome