New Guitar Day: N6 - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
rgr

Re: New Guitar Day: N6

My wife just called and said my new N6 just got delivered, it's going to be a long afternoon at work, and then I have to run a few errands afterwards....

But, the high today is like 7 deg F, so, it will be good for it to have plenty of time to warm up slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 PM

nice!
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

so how is it? did it arrive safely and intact? did you get any sleep last night after you opened the box?
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
rgr

Got it Friday, didn't get a ton of time with it this weekend. I do really like it after I got it set up for me. Cool guitar, nice resonance, body is small and a little strange after playing a strat but it's growing on me. I like the pickup choices in it, I may try a Bill and Becky Lawrence in the bridge, but the BLUSA one is pretty nice. It has a nice tone and the Schaller is very smooth. I've used quite a few Schallers over the years and really like them, I think their tone is somewhere between the OFR and the Edge. I think the BF system does make chords up the neck sound better too, again, need some more time to really make that call. The Stephens joint is very cool, it's kinda weird when you grab it at the neck joint and think, there should be more here...

Now the niggles, mine has the zipper marks in the finish on the back too, I saw them when I put it on my bench under the flourescent light to set it up. You can't feel them, and you have to look pretty hard in the black to see them, but they are there. It's something in their process, or something they are stacking them on when they come from paint or something. Also, the frets stick out of the sides of the fretboard a little, not enough to cut you or anything, but slightly annoying. This one was made in '06, so it may have been fine when it shipped, but since the neck only has an oil finish, it may be more susceptable to initial shrinkage. The frets are very nicely dressed, so I'm thinking this probably happened after it left the factory. Not a big deal, I'll get them cleaned up, but for the cost of a CS guitar, it's a little annoying to have to have anything done to it. But, I don't think there is a Washburn service center around here and it probably costs less to have it done than ship it somewhere, not to mention I really don't want to have to let it go for a couple of weeks.

I'll probably be better able to comment on it after playing it for a week or so, but so far, there are a few nitpicks for it being a custom shop instrument, but overall, it's a cool guitar. Slightly different, yet still has a semi-traditional look at the same time. Oh yeah, the black with the chrome hardware and the aluminum pickguard it smokin'!

Still curious about the padauks, but if I look at another guitar right now I'll probably have to find somewhere else to sleep
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

a big CONGRATS on it finally arriving.

i played mine fairly heavily this past weekend. i need to check my low E saddle as i am finding some kind of slippage and needing to tighten the fine tuner quite a bit. maybe the fine tuner is slipping out a little? i'm not sure yet but i'll give it a once over and see what is happening. it slips alomst a whole step down to D# - very strange?
i played "Blackie" (Jem777VBK) alot this past weekend and all i can say is WOW. between the N6, Blackie and my custom Jem i think i am in guitar heaven. i can depend on any of the three to "take care of business" the way i like things to be done in sound and feel/playability.
strange about the paint issues being on yours too? they are minor but still there and a "zipper" is the best way to describe it. a half moon shape with a zipper pattern. strange?
looking forward to seeing your pics! did you get the silver flight case or the black one?
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:30 PM
rgr

Silver "flight" case, although I'm not sure it quite qualifies as a true "flight" case. Mine also has a slight ring around the tone control, I think it is from the cardboard tag for the "Pull Coil Tap" that was on it. Black shows swirl type marks really well, I think it can be polished out, but doesn't really bother me anyway. The zipper mark in mine is straight and just under the trem cutout on the back. It's pretty much unnoticeable, but this is supposed to be a custom shop instrument so I kinda hold it to a higher standard. I bought it to be my main playa (or one of, I only have 3 guitars now), so I'm sure it will pick up some bigger scars along the way.

The slippage is weird, did you check the intonation screw on the low E tuner? If that is what it is, the down side is that it's got the BF system so you'll need to know how to reset the intonation for that particular string.

I really don't want my review to sound negative, just pointing out the little nitpicks, I won't even think about them after a couple of weeks of hard playing. But, it is a custom shop instrument, although quite a deal compared to the prices of the Fender CS instruments that they are flooding the market with these days.
post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

i checked the saddle screw and it hasn't slipped but i need to look closer at the fine tuner to see if it is slipping out. i am guessing it is because i haven't bottomed out the screw once while returning it to pitch from a sharp D# and i would have guessed it would have bottomed out after three times (or more) of retuning to E.
i am pleased with mine and overlook the imperfections and i am proud to own and play this guitar. i would buy another if mine got stolen or destroyed. i now have to try an N4. i'm really curious to the feel and tone in comparison to my N6. they look sweet too!
it's not much of a flight case but more like a "flight style" case. i have three of those cases and they are nice but don't quite have a good fit around the N6's body. i use a clean towel to help that and since the body is a bit smaller than a Strat or Jem i do understand the "loose" fit. i wish that Washburn supplied a case that fit as snugly as the new J Craft Ibanez cases for the prestige models - those cases are an almost air tight in fit with the guitar. you can feel a kind of suction when pulling a guitar out of one of those. i like that.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 02-05-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: gram errors - spelling sucks too
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
rgr

Yeah, the Ibanez Prestige cases are nice, I love Ibanezs too, but have moved away from pointy guitars in the last few years, they don't match my greying hair was well
post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

i hear ya on the gray (sp?) hair. i have white walls in silver

i can't get away from the RG look though - i love it and have grown up with it. i'm drooling over the RG2610 right now but i like sooooo many other guitars too, Ibanez and others: SZ, Iceman, Explorer, V, ect.
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM
rgr

grey or gray, both are acceptable spellings, but annoying in the hair. May have to have some work done if I get a band together again.

Haven't seen the 2610, I know Jason at DCGL had a new 2620 Cubed Black for $750 a little while ago, I think he still has it.
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2007...a_prestige.htm

scroll down past the RG20ths and the RGT's. check the ibanez.com site for cleaner pics. it might be a "one-trick pony" with only one hum but you have to love the elegance of it.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
rgr

Those are pretty cool, except that I hate sharkfin inlays (just my preference, if you like them it's all good). I wish they had re-released the 550 in black with maple. I still miss the one I sold a few years ago.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

just need to find you a nice and clean RG1550 in black.

i guess i'm one of the few that dig the new ghost fins.
i need to wait until i finish my current Jem/RG projects before i decide on another axe (and get my new SZ4020ntf and N6 paid off and save for the RG550DY that will be along in a few months). the RG2610 will definitely be in the running when the time comes to choose another axe along with the N4 and a few other choices i'm drooling over lately.
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
rgr

I don't think the drooling ever stops. As soon as you get a new one, the next search begins... Sad really, but it gives us a reason to live

I had a really nice clean 550 with the old style heal. It was one of those that had been bought and put in a closet or something. I ended up selling it to a friend who borrowed it and it was easier to get money for it than to get it back if that makes any sense. It played great, I had it totally dialed in and had put a TZ in the bridge (only guitar I ever had that sounded good with a TZ) and a Classic Bridge in the neck position. I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it if I could have gotten it back.

Tags
alder bodied , alder body , beautiful guitar , birdseye maple neck , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge pup , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , clear coat , coil tap , custom jem , custom shop , ebony board , ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge trems , feiten system , feiten tuning system , guitar collection , jeff loomis , killer guitar , lock nut , locking stud , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck position , neck shape , peterson strobostomp , pull coil , pull coil tap , reverse headstock , seymour duncan , sharkfin inlays , strat body , strat style , strat style guitar , swamp ash , swamp ash body , tuning system , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode