New guitar day..What a bummer! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

New guitar day..What a bummer!

I got a lemon prestige! I have been wanting a prestige for years, I finally get one (RG1570MR) I'm totally stoked. Get it home, notice the action is way high. No biggie I have to adjust it anyway. I put on a set of strings .10-46 and away I go.

NOT! I adjust the rod get it all ready trem perfect level great action (2mm 1.5), and BAM buzzes like crazy on the low E and A from 7-9 frets, adjust and re-adjust no dice. Raise the trem to break neck action still buzzes. Then the g string sounds VERY discordant the bow is perfect and everything.

I am so bummed I'm taking it back to the store for a refund, its really surprising that Ibanez would let such a turkey out of the shop, especially considering its a Prestige.

I'm just going to get my money back a forget the whole thing. Have any of you gotten lemons before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 AM

Re: New guitar day..What a bummer!

Sounds like you don't know how to set up the guitar properly. See if the shop has any better luck.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

No offence Koss, but I have setting up my own stuff for years. I have never had this problem before. Its really weird to because I have setup Ibanezes before for friends and have gotten stupid low action on them with no buzzes.

That's why I was wondering if anyone had thins kind of problem with them.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 AM

everyone is quick to say user error.. God forbid the almighty Ibanez makes a mistake... Helldogg take it back..
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Well, there is alot of user error out there.

But, it doesn't really sound like it in this case.

I've seen PLENTY of Ibanez screw ups.

Return it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM

my first reaction is that it probably takes a while for the guitar to adjust itself to the extra tension of heavier gauge strings.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
Well, there is alot of user error out there.

But, it doesn't really sound like it in this case.

I've seen PLENTY of Ibanez screw ups.

Return it.
+1

Regards

André

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Just swap it out for another one. Some guitars need more loving than others.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Just swap it out for another one. Some guitars need more loving than others.
Indeed. Don't just get your money back, try to get either another one of the same model or just a different model. I'm sure you won't be disappointed twice in a row.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 18

Why don't you call Rich and get one from him????
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Definetly return it. The guitar store shouldn't have sold it to you in that condition anyway - If you're dropping $600 plus on an instrument they should at least have it set up.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Why don't you call Rich and get one from him????
Not sure if Rich carries the 1570, but that is an excellent idea. Then you can expect a perfect guitar out of the box.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Sounds like you need a Fret dress!!! And a Shim!!! Then you should consult the same professional who does this work for a Pro-Set up!!! You can call my man Billy O'Reilly/B & D Guitar Repair, he accepts shipments in case you don't find anyone there that you feel knows what there doing.
Message me privately and I'll get you his # & address, trust me, if it's a bolt on, don't give up on it yet, there's alot more you can do w/ a bolt on than a neck thru, if it needs new frets b/c there's something your not seeing in the neck, then I would take it back, but if not and you want your baby to really be at her best, get the frets dressed, get the shim if need be, which it almost alway does, and have her professionally set up!
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Andres
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Oh, yea, Rich can help you, he knows what he's doing to! This is if you do take it back, then get one from him, he checks and knows what to look for before buying and selling them. He makes sure all is correctly operational, and then gives it a setup!
But I don't believe he does repair, though I know he can. He may be able to give you some suggestions and pointers on what to look at they you may be missing.
Peace...
Andres
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions guys! I actually know Billy great tech. I talked to the shop, they said they'd have their "tech" look at it and fix it. They kind of bristled at the idea of taking it back.

But the tech won't be there until Tuesday and of course I work... I'm going to play with it a bit and see what happens. Its wierd, the thing plays great all over the neck except those two strings at the 5 6 7 8 9 frets. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

I don't get it...

Tags
custom shop , gauge strings , high frets , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , music store , neck thru , production model , trem springs , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode