New guitar/gear availability seems low... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

New guitar/gear availability seems low...

In January, many companies showed their wares at the NAMM show as they do every year. June is on the horizon and the number of products that can be "preordered" (or some variation of the term) through Sweetwater seems unusually high. Sweetwater is a large retailer which is why I am using them as an example.

So I am curious, "where are the wares?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: New guitar/gear availability seems low...

My guess is guitars are being held up by CITES.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Isn't it pretty clear that NAMM or any trade show is not in sync with global manufacturing? Since Ibanez literally produces nothing they are even further at the mercy of said global manufacturing.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Nothing is clear, that is why I asked. This applies to U.S. companies building guitars/gear in the U.S. too. I just find it odd, which in reality is "par for the course."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Reviews: 21
I think it's CITES and sourcing wood. If I'm not mistaken US guitar makers like Taylor have trouble getting rosewood and buninga if I remember all those CITES articles right. Offshore manufacturers like Ibanez, of course, have extra hurtles.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Nothing is clear, that is why I asked. This applies to U.S. companies building guitars/gear in the U.S. too. I just find it odd, which in reality is "par for the course."
What do you really find odd though? That a "trade show" from a past era forces manufacturers to scour to complete designs & market their "new" products they know won't be available anytime soon? So if a guitar (i.e. JIVA) was just completed in terms of design it might squeak into wNAMM to allow an artist appearance & promotional opportunity (to said past era trade show attendees) but that doesn't fit production realities, especially for Ibanez! I would wager companies like Ibanez are sourcing pre-sales (taking purchase orders before & after NAMM) before actually "ordering production" since they can't make or ultimately control their own product as the top guitar makers do.

While the convenient boogey-man CITES gives alibi for the delays, but linked articles say CITES paperwork is a non-issue for large companies.

Lets go back to the fact that PRS takes 30-days to build a neck. A new guitar model can't be cranked out like Hershey bars in a few weeks if it to have any quality.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 AM

NAMM is a trade show, so manufacturers use it to drum up advance orders from their dealer network and to gauge opinion on new models from consumers.

So far, so unsurprising, it's like going to a motor show and wondering why the concept cars aren't hitting the showroom floors three months later.

CITES really is a non-issue, it's just an additional administrative overhead for large manufacturers or distributors. As long as the paperwork is in order it's a minor inconvenience.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM

I think it sucks that I ordered my RG550 a week after NAMM and still nothing! Every time I ask my "guy" where it is "I'll text him (Ibanez) and he'll get back to me" That was four months ago...……
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
I think it sucks that I ordered my RG550 a week after NAMM and still nothing! Every time I ask my "guy" where it is "I'll text him (Ibanez) and he'll get back to me" That was four months ago...……
This is simply a matter of he got his order in later than everybody that has already gotten. You may have ordered a few days after NAMM but when did he order? Not that the January shipments coming in April didn't hurt the timeline, but if he wasn't getting off the first batch then the problem was when he ordered, compounded by the current delays.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
What do you really find odd though? That a "trade show" from a past era forces manufacturers to scour to complete designs & market their "new" products they know won't be available anytime soon? So if a guitar (i.e. JIVA) was just completed in terms of design it might squeak into wNAMM to allow an artist appearance & promotional opportunity (to said past era trade show attendees) but that doesn't fit production realities, especially for Ibanez! I would wager companies like Ibanez are sourcing pre-sales (taking purchase orders before & after NAMM) before actually "ordering production" since they can't make or ultimately control their own product as the top guitar makers do.

While the convenient boogey-man CITES gives alibi for the delays, but linked articles say CITES paperwork is a non-issue for large companies.

Lets go back to the fact that PRS takes 30-days to build a neck. A new guitar model can't be cranked out like Hershey bars in a few weeks if it to have any quality.
Are you suggesting Ibanez does ghost inventory? LOL!
Maybe my RG521 will show up by Halloween.
I kid....
It's a busy world. We're busy AF at work so I can empathize with Hoshino.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Are you suggesting Ibanez does ghost inventory? LOL!
Maybe my RG521 will show up by Halloween.
I kid....
It's a busy world. We're busy AF at work so I can empathize with Hoshino.
Black came in, not JB yet.
mike570 likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Black came in, not JB yet.
I was just kidding around. No worries. I think inventory got held up last year until about summer IIRC so I kind of expected it would take a while. And I don't know the inside baseball buy I think luck of the draw plays into it a bit too, no?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Vendor

The only luck is if they your order is picked, goes to QC, and actually fails, because typically all orders from that batch have picked and there is nothing left to replace the failures, which would come out of the next batch. Otherwise you're in a line that is set by the order date.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM

That makes sense. I've been waiting for a good fixed MIJ RG for years so I have no problem waiting a bit longer.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

It is entirely possible I do not know what new guitars/gear were released at 2018 Winter NAMM and that Sweetwater is a poor indicator of availability. A local store had this weird, brand new Ibanez arrive. Someone named Jay made it and he used a lot of gold hardware and nice myrtle top. Supposedly, Jay only made 18 of them but there is no information on the Ibanez site so, who knows?
Nice guitar though.
Not much has come out of California. EBMM trimmed the JP lineup by doing away with 4 models, one of which I own. The remaining 8 models can be "pre-ordered."
Same with Eventide...sort of
Same with Jackson
Same with PRS
Same with Fender
Same with (insert brand).

Again, it seems odd that Summer NAMM is next month and you can still "preorder" products from Winter Namm. I like some of these brands and I am a patient person. They all seem to be suffering from delays or demand exceeding supply. I was just curious if there was a reason or if it was just coincidence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode