New guitar on the horizon.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

New guitar on the horizon....

Hey guys, first post here and i must admit i am in a bit of a dillema??? For about the last 9 months i have had my friends fender Strat, played it quite a lot and got decent on guitar. To be honest though its not a guitar i would ever really want to come across again, jst general feel and sound wasnt me at all.

Anyways he has since claimed it back and i am on the hunt for a new guitar. Music influences are mostly metal, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica and Dragonforce etc basically the extreme high pitched crazy metal stuff haha. On the other hand i also love Vai, Satriani and Petrucci, all have amazing sounds, but i sway more towards the former style.

I am budgeting myself at around $1100 for my next guitar, i have no problem with buying second hand either so i guess that opens up a few doors for me. My question is what would be an ideal guitar for me based on the above? I am really liking the look of the Synyster Custom at the moment, havent read a bad review yet on it, it looks awesome so it seems ideal. Or would i be better with maybe getting a good second hand RG Prestige or maybe even a Ibanez JS for its versatility?? the ESP LTD Alexi600 as well has also been mentioned?? as long as looks amazing and sounds good i guess thats all i can ask. Loads of options i suppose it drives you insane just when you think youv found one that ticks all the right box's along comes a better one lol.. I am not worried about an amp, pedals at the moment, i have a budget set aside and will take care of that after i purchase a guitar.

Sorry for bothering yous with such a vague question but i would like some advice from more experienced people than me to head me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Sean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Re: New guitar on the horizon....

If you have $1100 to spend, I'd take a long, hard look at the Carvin C66. All in, you can get a US made top quality guitar with a genuine Floyd and flame top for around $1,200.

For a little less, you can get the Bolt+, which is essentially the same guitar but without the flame top.

Carvin.com

Cheers,
Danny
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM

Well you're going to be playing all kinds of metal, otherwise I'd have said a strat with a bridge humbucker would be the most versatile. But yeah - I'd look at carvin. Why don't you check the classifieds on here?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Just get out there and try the different guitars. That's the only way if it's your first "proper" guitar and you don't already know exactly want regardless of whether you've played it of not.

Get yourself along to a local shop with a good choice of brands and tell them you have a budget of £XYZ and you want a metal guitar.

Then play everything they'll let you and then come back to us
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys it is most appreciated. haha yeah i know i probably should get my ass out there and try out a load of them first but if i can narrow down my search here i can at least be looking in the right direction. Iv been looking at loads and loads of guitars and finally realised what means more to me when it comes to getting one...looks! how ever foolish that may be it is something i cannot help lol. Just some guitars have the 'X' factor for me as im sure others have theyr own preferances. I could purchase a far superior guitar to a lesser more beautiful one and i know i would only end up resenting the one i got.

Ones i am really interested in are -

- Schecter Synyster Custom
- Dean Mustaine VMNT
- Ibanez JS1200 (bit off course i know but its a beauty and versatile)
- ESP LTD Alexi-600
- Ibanez RG Prestige's
- USA Dime Razorback V
- ESP MP-600

This is basically my list to pick from (well i say that anyway lol) main features i look for are nice sound, a fast shredding machine and good screaming pinch harmonics. I appreciate everyones input so far and if anybody could tell me what would prob be the best choice(s) out of these that would be great?

Thanks again, Sean

Last edited by El Toro Grande; 09-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toro Grande View Post
Thanks for the input guys it is most appreciated. haha yeah i know i probably should get my ass out there and try out a load of them first but if i can narrow down my search here i can at least be looking in the right direction. Iv been looking at loads and loads of guitars and finally realised what means more to me when it comes to getting one...looks! how ever foolish that may be it is something i cannot help lol. Just some guitars have the 'X' factor for me as im sure others have theyr own preferances. I could purchase a far superior guitar to a lesser more beautiful one and i know i would only end up resenting the one i got.

Ones i am really interested in are -

- Schecter Synyster Custom
- Dean Mustaine VMNT
- Ibanez JS1200 (bit off course i know but its a beauty and versatile)
- ESP LTD Alexi-600
- Ibanez RG Prestige's
- USA Dime Razorback V
- ESP MP-600

This is basically my list to pick from (well i say that anyway lol) main features i look for are nice sound, a fast shredding machine and good screaming pinch harmonics. I appreciate everyones input so far and if anybody could tell me what would prob be the best choice(s) out of these that would be great?

Thanks again, Sean
Well from those there are a few that I would definitely scratch from the list. First being the Schecter. I'd also scratch the Dime V. The ESP Alexi has a chunky neck if you're into that . . . Personally from that list I'd go with prestige Ibanez or the JS1200 (what did you expect?). The last ESP might be cool. Why don't you try a Jackson Dinky? They're pretty good bang for the buck.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:24 AM

Reviews: 3

I haven’t played a 1200 but I have owned two JS1000's and I would not recommend them for metal. I had a hard time getting heavy sounds out of them and I have never been a metal guy. If I were in your shoes I would certainly go for a nice RG with dimarzios. You should be able to cover all of your bases with that one on tone AND looks. Plus, if you want something with a floating double locking trem and are fairly new to guitars don’t even think about getting anything but a Japanese (Prestige) made Ibanez. They are by far the best floaters and the easiest to maintain.

But please, do go play lots of guitars before you decide. When I get a new guitar I decide on the style and what I want to use it for then I go play everything in the store that might fit the bill. It might only take a pluck of the strings while the guitar is still on the wall for me to eliminate it from the list but I don't think I was that intuitive after having played for 9 months. Remember, even the company with the best quality control can still put out a bad instrument and some of the best guitars I have ever played have come from cheap Asian product lines. In fact, the best guitar I have played to date is my Mexican made Fender Baja tele and I played EVERY Telecaster the store had before I settled on that one. It was the last I played and the second I held it in my hands I knew it was the one. Oddly enough it can also become one of the meanest and heaviest sounding guitars I have ever played. Maybe you should look into a Telecaster? J/K

Good Luck.

Last edited by JayRobIBZ; 09-25-2008 at 02:40 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:58 AM

Just get an american deluxe HSS or an RG Prestige and be done with it. Those odd shaped guitars are hard to live with and not very practical.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 AM

Definitely want to play for yourself and make your own mind up, but, bang for your buck it's hard to beat a Prestige RG for metal/shred imho.

Rock on!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM

+1 on an RG Prestige....can't go wrong with for what you need it for. G/L.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Well, I'll put it this way. Carvins are great and so are some ESPs. But I have to admit my RG560 which is about a prestige level these days, comparatively, is one versatile monster. I have a D-Sonic in the bridge and I can get heavy sounds and I can also get rock tones and with the single coils good cleans. So I have to say that the RG is a good choice.

But as others have said, if you take our word for it, then you've been dishonest to yourself. Everyone is different. Some people love the wizard neck others don't. On and on with every spec of every guitar. This is why you have to play everything in your price range that you can you never know what you could end up with. It could be a Ernie Ball Silhoutte for all we know or even a Les Paul but it has to be what you think works for you. It's just to personal to rely on our opinions. I did that once and passed up an oportunity to buy a EBMM John Petrucci and got a different guitar instead and I regretted it. I won't ever do it again.

BTW it wasn't my RG instead of the EBMMJP it was a Gibson, and my bandmates were stupidly image concerned.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Well, I'll put it this way. Carvins are great and so are some ESPs. But I have to admit my RG560 which is about a prestige level these days, comparatively, is one versatile monster. I have a D-Sonic in the bridge and I can get heavy sounds and I can also get rock tones and with the single coils good cleans. So I have to say that the RG is a good choice.

But as others have said, if you take our word for it, then you've been dishonest to yourself. Everyone is different. Some people love the wizard neck others don't. On and on with every spec of every guitar. This is why you have to play everything in your price range that you can you never know what you could end up with. It could be a Ernie Ball Silhoutte for all we know or even a Les Paul but it has to be what you think works for you. It's just to personal to rely on our opinions. I did that once and passed up an oportunity to buy a EBMM John Petrucci and got a different guitar instead and I regretted it. I won't ever do it again.

BTW it wasn't my RG instead of the EBMMJP it was a Gibson, and my bandmates were stupidly image concerned.
They forced you to buy a Gibson?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
They forced you to buy a Gibson?

Well It wasn't forced but yeah, my buddy kept saying "well the JP is cool and all but it looks strange. It looks short and the headstock is wierd. Jeff's got a Les Paul, I play a vintage bass and then you would be playing a wierd looking guitar. But do what ever you want."

So on and on, and because, at the time, I to was worried about my image I let it change my mind.

I thought only classic guitar were cool and so on, I believed the made in America hype and all of that kind of thing. Now I'm a Ibanez for life guy, other guitars are cool, I still like strats and pauls etc., but every quality Ibanez I play just ckicks for me. Although, I might go back one day and buy a EBMMJP and I do have room in my heart for a RR V.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
MFB

...I have a RRV up for sale if youre interested
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 PM

oh really...hmmm I'll check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode