new guitar owner here. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

new guitar owner here.

Hey everyone, Just decided to start learning how to play the guitar. I just picked up a used 2003 Ibanez RG370 - made in korea - edge pro 2. the owner gave me a tuner, but should I take this into a local shop to have it looked over/tuned? Guitar is in mint condition, no scratches, and hasn't been played with in a while (had some dust on it when I saw it).

Last edited by phoenixrage; 06-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Re: new guitar owner here.

Changing the strings is a good idea to start with, welcome to Jemsite
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM

If you can afford it, the best thing you could do for yourself right now is get a decent teacher!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Tuning is a regular thing. Maybe you should start to tune it yourself, if you don't already. But yes, maybe a new set of strings would be nice for it
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone, I'll definitely take it in to get re-stringed when I get a chance.

Thinking of getting some strap locking system on there too, and a pickgaurd of somesorts. Any recomendations?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 PM

yeah you should probably bring it to a shop to get it set up

and also get the guy to teach you so you can do it yourself in future
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM

dont make the mistake lots of people do and get caught up in making your guitar look cool, get caught up in making your guitar SOUND cool. I recommend a set-up and even see if they cant teach you a think about what there doing while its being done.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjakob69 View Post
dont make the mistake lots of people do and get caught up in making your guitar look cool, get caught up in making your guitar SOUND cool. I recommend a set-up and even see if they cant teach you a think about what there doing while its being done.
+1 Take the money you would put towards pickups and a pickguard and start saving for a good sounding amp. It will make a way more drastic and tonal difference than pick-ups anyway.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 AM

Congratz on the guitar. You could fit a DiMarzio Cliplock strap to it. Pickguards are all down to personal taste.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Congratz on the guitar. You could fit a DiMarzio Cliplock strap to it. Pickguards are all down to personal taste.
I just picked up one of these straps and they work great... no fear of it poping off the strap
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

wow, just realized I made a typo in the original, its actually a RG370 (not DX).

anyhow, thanks for the responses, I am looking at better amps right now, as I'm starting to figure out what type of sound I don't like as much. Currently looking at some used Tube Amps. Picked up a couple vintage Ibanez pedals (BC9 and SM9) too since the current amp I am using doesn't distort enough.

I have yet to get it set up, but will probably get it done in the next couple weeks, just the local shop has a backlog so it'll take them a while to get it done. I'll probably look at other shops to see if it can be done quicker, if not on the spot (that way I can watch what they are doing). The local shop I goto did mention the action is a bit too high right now, and I didn't realize how big of a difference till I picked up a guitar off their wall to try out.

as for pickgaurds, I see some being sold online (auction site which appearantly can't be mentioned), anyone have any experience with those? Or are there any partners of this board that sell some?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM

have fun with it!welcome!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
If you can afford it, the best thing you could do for yourself right now is get a decent teacher!

I second this one completely.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrage View Post
Hey everyone, Just decided to start learning how to play the guitar. I just picked up a used 2003 Ibanez RG370 - made in korea - edge pro 2. the owner gave me a tuner, but should I take this into a local shop to have it looked over/tuned? Guitar is in mint condition, no scratches, and hasn't been played with in a while (had some dust on it when I saw it).
theres a guitar teacher in your town (ontario) hes called bob crispy.he has videos on youtube just type in bobbycrispy,check him out he might give you some lesson's.hope this helps ya
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Congratulations on your guitar, and welcome.

When you get the chance, check out the site "Ibanez Rules", there's a great setup tutorial on there thats well worth a read for anyone new to guitars, and floating bridges in particular.

I hope you enjoy playing your guitar, it can be frustrating sometimes, but very rewarding.

Rock on!

Tags
rg370

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode