New guitar for student... help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

New guitar for student... help!

Hey guys!
I have a student who has been taking lessons from me for a year or two. His mom is secretly going to buy him a guitar for christmas, and she wants me to help pick it out. She said she wants to spend about $400-$500 max, and i think she'd prefer to buy something new.
My student is a great player and is mostly into classic rock stuff like AD/DC, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Blackfoot, and so on. I'm thinking he needs something with humbuckers for sure. He's got a crappy ooooooold Kent guitar with single coils in it, and it just doesn't cut it considering how good he is as a player. The first thing that came to mind for me was an Epi Les Paul of some kind, but please offer as many suggestions as possible.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 AM

Re: New guitar for student... help!

Cool,
I think a korean RGT or 370 (im not sure how much they are over there) would be great for a young student, Im positive that if i hadnt had an RG as my first electric i would not be where i am today. but if he really is just into the old stuff like that and he would like an LP then get him that.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 AM

If do get a super strat, dont get an LTD.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:19 AM

Rg320, 370 got my vote
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 AM

Whatever you do, DON'T get him an Ibanez with a Floyd. No-one should suffer being a young guitar student, knowing very little about set-ups and being stuck with issues such as intonation and action with a Floyd Rose; they're hell to sort out unless you're experienced.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:38 AM

I'd suggest an Ibanez SZ520QM, or maybe the lower model (320 I think) that's slightly cheaper. They're an awesome guitar and have a fixed bridge which would be better for a guitarist who like those bands. They have two humbuckers too. They're feel great strapped on and have a great tone and balance too. I love mine a lot, and I'm actually a trem player, but the SZ520QM I have is really a well built guitar which I think would be a real good chioce for him. They look nice as well, not cheap looking at all.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Whatever you do, DON'T get him an Ibanez with a Floyd. No-one should suffer being a young guitar student, knowing very little about set-ups and being stuck with issues such as intonation and action with a Floyd Rose; they're hell to sort out unless you're experienced.
Its the only way to learn. I would agree if the trs still existed
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
I'd suggest an Ibanez SZ520QM, or maybe the lower model (320 I think) that's slightly cheaper. They're an awesome guitar and have a fixed bridge which would be better for a guitarist who like those bands. They have two humbuckers too. They're feel great strapped on and have a great tone and balance too. I love mine a lot, and I'm actually a trem player, but the SZ520QM I have is really a well built guitar which I think would be a real good chioce for him. They look nice as well, not cheap looking at all.
+1

For their price range they are an underrated guitar.
The only other thing to consider is neck preference. If your student likes a chunkier neck, similar to an SG, then the SZ is a good choice.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM

I'd go SZ too I have to say, or RG321.
That way you dont have to bugger about with the trem angle, setting up the floyd, as dannymills has said. Anything Ibanez without a trem will do you fine. But an Ibanez SZ320 would be perfect.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 AM

Floating trems are not that difficult once you gone through Rich's site and got used to them. An RG3** would be a good start IMHO
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 AM

how long til somebody says squier strat? cos if they get that theyll save a bit so they can get a reasonable sounding amp which is far more encouraging than having a gutiar which is way better than your amp
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM

I dont believe in making a learner dependant on amps. A 30 watter is fine for practising no matter what your skill level (Im still using one to practise on). Its much more important to have a confortable guitar.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 AM

squier strat, uncomfortable? and i wasnt on about size of amp, just nicer than the lunchboxes some people began with (myself included)
and while teaching you can say about how its important to keep it on the clean channel plenty so you dont wind up hiding behind gain
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 AM

My point is any amp over 30 wats is fine for practising. anything under is a 'lunchbox'. I havnt spent a cent on amps yet other than my first, a rage 158, I got a broken old 30 wat free and its fine for practising and i use other peoples amps or borrow them from the store when playing live. At the same time ive spent at least $2000 on guitars, pups, trems etc because i cant bring myself to pay for something that wont improve or progress my playing.

I found squires uncomfortable but mostly the're very limiting, 21 fret, single coils.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM

well i found that if people get an amp they like the sound of they realise they sound good and become confident as a player and therefore inspired to play more but if you get a little buzzy amp then everything sounds bad and people dont realise how good they can sound. and i guess the squier strat thing is a difference of opinions, i happen to think single coils sound nice and show more player character than a humbucker!

Tags
angus young , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fixed bridge , floating trems , floyd rose , guitar playing , hollow body , jason becker , les paul , les pauls , mexican strat , music store , practice amp , squier strat , steve vai , stomp box , strat sound , super strat , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode