New guitar - is there something wrong? (w/ pics) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

New guitar - is there something wrong? (w/ pics)

So I got a used Fernandes strat, and it looks good.

Problem is, the output is on the low side and the high e string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. I'll have a guitar tech check on the previous two, but I was hoping someone here would have an idea for these:

Why on Earth are the poles on the pickups arranged this way and not all at the same height?

I've never seen a fretboard that wasn't flush with the body of the guitar. Is it just a matter of looks, or is this a problem?

Last edited by 19801; 08-26-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Re: New guitar - is there something wrong? (w/ pics)

Pole pieces and fretboard are pretty much normal. The slugs look a little exaggerated but I dont think I've ever seen when they were all level.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM

I asked the same question on the fender board and was told they are done that way to make the output more equal on all strings.

If your strings are closer to one edge than the other loosen your neck screws shift the neck over till they are even and retighten. I have had to do that on quite a few geetars before.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 1

The pole pieces, or magnets in this case, are typically set to match the radius of the fingerboard (Strat fingerboards usually have a sharp radius, somewhere between 7.5 and 9.5").

The fingerboard not touching the board is fine as long as the guitar plays well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Strat polepieces are designed that way on purpose, since the 50s. They staggered the magnets to even out the levels from each string. Since the B string is typically louder than the high E, they recess it a little bit to make it the same volume.

The height of the fingerboard off the guitar shouldn't be too much of a problem. It looks a tad higher than on my 2 Strats, but as long as the action's good you should be OK.

That's a really cool looking guitar! I've never seen a red stained neck before. Congrats!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:59 PM

That is one red guitar
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Wow man yeah that thing is all jacked up but I'm a nice guy and will take it off your hands for $50....

Tags
fernandes , la-85kk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode