New Guitar While On Vacation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

New Guitar While On Vacation

i'm still in D.C. visiting my g/f's relatives - i leave out tonight to get back to Gainesville. my only problem is trying to get my NEW Gibson '76 reissue Explorer on the small jet we will be leaving in. the case is HUGE!!! they don't have a stewardess closet in the front - the plane is very small. it won't fit in the overheads. i WON"T check it thru baggage. i plan to try "checking it at the gate" - handing it to the guy loading the luggage as the last item to go in the compartment and being right there to have it handed back to me when i arrive in JAX. i don't know how else to do it and i don't have a backup plan if they aren't willing to work with me. i don't want to UPS it back to FL as it would take a week or so to get there! i have no patience for that!
wish me luck - i will do whatever it takes to get this axe on the plane. - just short of being arrested.
i didn't intend to buy a guitar this week - but i'm sure you know the story!
i can't wait to get it home and set it up with 10's and give it a once over. i'll need to drill out the screws for the strap locks as the buttons on it are very short and this guitar MUST have strap locks. i can't wait to get it home and get a couple pics of her posted. this is the only "odd" shaped guitar i have been willing to own. she is sweet!! i might put a JB and a '59 in her down the road- time will tell....

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:49 PM

i don't think it'll be a problem... i have travelled with a bc rich warlock on a little jet but i took it with me into the cabin. i laid it down right under my feet. it stretches out to the others' places but they are generally understanding.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

i didn't have any problems. the only time a security check was performed was by a security officer that wanted to "inspect" the guitar - more so just see the guitar after seeing the Gibson logo on the outside of the case. he was smiling and winked as he told me he had to have me open the case for an inspection.
i checked my guitar on the plane into the luggage compartment as i was getting on the plane - so it was the last item in and the first item out that was handed to me as i unboarded the plane. Big Sigh of Relief.
security was pretty heavy getting around the airport and i had a special "insert" in my suitcase stating that it had been opened and inspected. it kinda makes you wonder how much of this is security and how much is just opening luggage because they CAN. oh well, what can you do? this is the world we live in. at least the guitar made it safely
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 11:18 AM

You'll probably encounter the highest security flying in and out of Dulles, Reagan, La Guardia or JFK. I've flown to NYC and Washington DC quite a lot over the last couple of years, and i've seen the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to airport security.

Given the volume of traffic at those airports, i doubt they would open bags "just because they can". They probably saw something they weren't sure of on the x-ray image, and just wanted to do a visual inspection. I've had them go through my carry-on suitcase when they've spotted a flimsy little pair of scissors in a travel sewing kit.

As for the guard "inspecting" your guitar... wouldn't you do the same in his position?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

of course! that is one of the perks - to get to see cool items.
i know things are probably on the up-&-up as far as checking bags - but it doesn't make you feel any less "violated" by having your personals gone thru.
i feel comfortable flying and dealing with all the security and it really didn't take too long to get thru security. when it looked like an hour wait to go thru security, they opened another security check point to get people thru faster. i've heard horror stories of missing items from security checks, but usually the things they took were knives and related stuff, which is very understandable in carry-ons - but not checked luggage. if a bag is going to be checked and the person has no access to that bag during flight - how are they able to confiscate stuff like knives?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 04:12 PM

Someone I know had to play their guitar to prove they could play and weren't going to use it to somehow hi-jack the plane, how stupid!
When I took my guitar on holiday (In a hard case) they put it in with all the kids push chairs and stuff, which I belive is just on top of everything else in the hold. I wasn't happy about it but It was fine over two journeys, as long as it's in a hard case don't worry about it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 04:53 PM

Can't wait to see pictures

In the last week I've been listening to Metallica and Coheed & Cambria almost exclusively, so I've been looking at Explorers a little too much lately, considering my lack of money
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 05:14 PM

When i was just a wee lad, i desperately wanted a white Explorer with the Matthias Jabs black stripes on it. That was the coolest guitar. I grew out of the pointy guitar phase, but only after owning a very pointy Lado for a few years. That was a sweet guitar, but very ugly.

However, when The Edge brought out his old Korina Explorer on the last U2 album, those old pointy-guitar GAS pains flared up again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

i used the Explorer last night a local bar (good gig- owner thru us an extra bill to keep playing ) and she played and sounded awesome! i am getting such a beautiful "organic" sound. the Epi Les Paul has that similar vibe. i guess it is the mahogany body. i love it!
the Explorer is the only odd shape i've had the desire for - i was worried about the shape being awkward but she hangs just right and feels even better. i'm not quite sure "who" would have influenced me on wanting this shaped guitar. i did love the Scorps, Metallica and many other hard rock bands the used the Explorer, but i really can't think of anybody that made me want to have one. i guess it is just a rock thing- this guitar Screams ATTITUDE i got a lot of compliments from band members and audience alike. she will fit in nicely with my other guitars at any gig.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

i have pics to be posted if they can be hosted [email protected]
thanks
Todd

Tags
epi les paul , les paul , mahogany body , rich warlock , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode