New Guy, New Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

New Guy, New Guitar

Hi there! I recently bought what I think is the very last white RG2550e from MF, thanks to this forum. I thought I'd register to tell my story and say hi.

I was in GC a few days ago to try out an amp, and I picked up the closest guitar which turned out to be an Ibanez RG2570. This guitar played much different than my Les Paul or G&L Legacy HB. I was surprised at how easy it was to fly around the neck. So I was checking out the 2570 online when I found this website. I see a thread here about MF blowing out 2550e's for $699. Even used guitars in this or like models are going for more money, so I thought I'd check it out. So, there it was, Galaxy White for $699. Sexy. I left the page, came back here and read some more, went back to MF...and it was gone. Out of stock. So I call MF and the guy says they are running out and there are only a couple left. He'll sale it to me for $645 if I buy right now. The last thing I need is another guitar, but I went ahead and got it. I mean, great price, nothing to loose with their return policy, and great reviews here. Why not.

The next day I get a backorder notice. A few days later I get a vm from MF letting me know that they are out of that axe and asking if I want to call back and try out something else. I'm bummed, call up and they verify that the guitar is dc'd and that they're out, but I'm talking to a different guy than the one who left a vm, so I tell them I'll call back. Then I get an email notification a few days later saying that my order has shipped. Huh? Sure enough, a few days later, a brand new RG2550e shows up on my doorstep. Woohoo!

It's brand new, made 12/10, still has plastic on the pickguard, no Team J Craft on the neck, but on the case and papers, superb workmanship. I don't care for the pickups in this guitar. They're not as clear, articulate or full-bodied as my Les Paul with SD Antiquity/Seth Lover combo, or the G&L with stock pups/JB bridge combo. The guitar is light. The neck is thin and not as comfortable to me. But, I don't know how or why, I can fly up and down this neck. I dig dive bombing and squealing with the edge pro. The case rox.

Overall, I'm impressed with this guitar for the price. I would not buy it at the $999+ price it usually goes for, because of the pickups. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it. I mainly play and record at home. For like 17 years now (yikes!). I use a MBPro with Apogee Duet and Yamaha monitors to record. Sometimes get out to jam with friends. Haven't played out in a band in over a decade. I play everything from acoustic to light finger-picking, blues, hard rock and metalish stuff. I don't really need another electric. But the RG fills a gap that the LP and GL don't cover. It's like the crazy, heavy metal, ripping solos acrobatics guitar. I'm trying to decide if I will keep it and sell the G&L, return the RG or keep all 3. The LP ain't going nowhere. I will need to replace the pups if I keep it. I'd like something not as hot as the stock pups, with better definition and clarity, more air on the neck pup, more character and body and the bridge. I don't know much about DiMarzios, so would appreciate any advice on pups. Or just any thoughts in general. Thanks!

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Re: New Guy, New Guitar

[Quote]But, I don't know how or why, I can fly up and down this neck.{Unquote]

Yay!! Wizard Neck FTW!!! You know it makes sense...
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=IbanezDaemon;1083334]
Quote:
But, I don't know how or why, I can fly up and down this neck.{Unquote]

Yay!! Wizard Neck FTW!!! You know it makes sense...
Lol. Here are some pics, just cause I'm a new guy and this is a new guitar...

Nevermind bout the pics, not enough posts.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=NT02;1083335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post

Lol. Here are some pics, just cause I'm a new guy and this is a new guitar...

Nevermind bout the pics, not enough posts.
Hey man...not an inside joke or nuthin' like that. Don't pick me up wrong. I think Wizard necks are the best bar none....just sayin''.

BTW You need to get to 10 posts before you can post pics on here.

Peace
ID
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah man, it's cool. I'm too busy playing to post back. lol This neck does rock. It's almost too fast. I'm trying to find the soul in it. I think these pickups really wreck what could be an awesome axe.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT02 View Post
Yeah man, it's cool. I'm too busy playing to post back. lol This neck does rock. It's almost too fast. I'm trying to find the soul in it. I think these pickups really wreck what could be an awesome axe.
Sweet!! No worries. DiMarzio/IBZ then??
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Sweet!! No worries. DiMarzio/IBZ then??
Yep. Kinda blah. I just know a good set of pups could make this a perfect beauty.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT02 View Post
Yep. Kinda blah. I just know a good set of pups could make this a perfect beauty.
Congrats on discovering the joy of Ibanez, and welcome to the forum!

Now to get the full experience, you really owe it to yourself to change out the p'ups to the Dimarzio Tone Zone (Bridge), Tru Velvet (middle), and Air Norton (Neck) combo.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Sweet score man. Tone Zone, Air Norton FTW, and I guess the Tru Velvet if you dig the single coil.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the pickup suggestions. So the Air Norton, Tone Zone and Tru Velvet? How hot are these pups, how do they sound? I really like the crunch I get from the Antiquity/Seth Lover set in my LP. I'm thinking something lower output but still having good crunch for the RG. Something like what Lynch or EVH would like. Something that responds well to rolling down the guitar volume to clean up, then flip it up for full on assault. And I definitely like the in between settings with the single coil. Looks like I have some research to do!
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 11

then you definitely want the tone zone air norton and true velvet. i have the TZ/AN in an RG520 and absolutely love it!
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Cool story! Congrats on getting your Ibby, and welcome to the Ibanez CuLt x.x
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Man I hear a buttload of talk about the TZ/AN combo. Are they really that great? Or is it just on this Forum??
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I see the Tone Zone described a lot as having added mids. This isn't SD JB added mid territory, is it? I'd like something that breathes a bit better and is not as stuffy as a JB.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Been playing this guitar more n more. It's pretty awesome. Anyone else score on the MF deal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode