New to Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
FL6

New to Ibanez

Well I'm pretty excited, about to receive my new Ibanez RG350 in the mail. As a long time strat player what should I expect? Will I be converted?
I'm most interested in how the neck differs.

One of the reason I went with this model is because I'm left handed and this model seemed to get some pretty good reviews. I have a number of SD and Dimarzio pickups to install as I hear to stock pups are moderate at best. And will possibly change the tremolo system if it ends up being my #1 guitar. Any other mod suggestions for this model?

I went to Ibanez's site and they only had a few lefties available so this seemed the best choice, unless I'm wrong and these are only the latest.

What I'd really like to know is what am I missing between this model and higher end more expensive Ibanez models? And being a lefty is there any reason to wonder because they only make so many models left anyways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: New to Ibanez

You won't be getting the neck profile that Ibanez has built their reputation on. If you want a nice, thin and fast playing neck, you're going to have to pay up and get a japanese model. The pick-ups on these are the inf models. They are mid to low output pick ups and its probably a good thing you're already looking to replace them. Il be honest though, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. No amount of after market pick ups and floating trems will make this guitar ANYWHERE as good as it's japanese variants. There should be some left handed RG550's floating around and they will blow your mind. They are cheap, very well aged and sound fantastic in stock form. They only get better with after market parts. The Wizard 1 neck and Super wizard are just amazing necks and they outclass a lot of expensive guitar in ease of play.

Don't get me wrong , the RG350 is a decent guitar, but you won't be getting the experience that , In my opinion, you were looking for and deserve. It's worth doing some research before buying something. It would be like someone buying an MIM fender strat because he read that a lot of great musicians play strats. Well the MIMS, in most cases, don't come close to the us made strats and custom shops the guys on stage are rocking out
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 120

I think you are selling the current RG350s short there Fender868.

Ibanez have recognised that the tremolos on the lower end ones weren't really up to snuff longevity wise, and now you get the Edge Zero II tremolo on the 3xx series and up. It is in the same league as the Japanese model Edge Zero trem, and should last a good long timen while providing good tuning stability.

Also, the necks on the RG3xx and 4xx series aren't a far cry different from the Japanese made ones when you look at the specs. If you get a good one, you've got a good one for life.

The quality of the Indonesian Ibanez guitars has gone up quite a bit in the last few years, and nowadays you can definitely consider the RG3xx and up guitars to be 'pro' quality. Swap the pickups for better ones, and you are ready to rock!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
FL6

I was in a hurry to buy as my strat is getting in worse and worse shape by the minute. And I figured my first exposure to Ibanez won't cost that much...$385. But now I know at least the 550's are worth looking into. Thanks.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL6 View Post
I was in a hurry to buy as my strat is getting in worse and worse shape by the minute. And I figured my first exposure to Ibanez won't cost that much...$385. But now I know at least the 550's are worth looking into. Thanks.
Don't go looking for a new one--they were discontinued years ago. Look for good used ones--any of the 500 and 700 series. While the 350 is better these days, they still aren't the Monsters that most of us collect. I think your 350 is a good first Ibanez. After you get used to it--then go find your 550, 560, or 570. I see lefties on eBay frequently.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Reviews: 1

I never realized they upgraded the trem on the 350DX!

OP - The RG350DX is not a bad guitar at all. I personally think the quality of an Indo Ibanez is higher than most other manufacturers in the price range (although I'd rank Shecter quality really high also). The INF pickups are not that bad in my opinion. They're not great but when I had my 350DX I didn't feel as though I had to go right out and replace them. Although, when you do I think some green Dimarzio's with green knobs and switch would look KILLER!!!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Even if the neck is not as slim as the Japaneese models (I'd be curious to get the specs of an RG550 to realy compare) or the current Prestige line, the neck on the RG350 is slimmer than everything else in the market. You will have a nice taste of what Ibanez can offer and, if you like it, you'd may be prone to get something more high-end.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Thanks for the tips.
What are the real differences between this neck and higher end ones....wood....or design?
Being a lefty can't really try out guitars at stores so I could never really tell.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM

There's two major difference:
Radius is 430mm
Thickness is lessen by 2mm at 1st fret and 1mm at 12th (for most type, this is not necessarely the case everytime)
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
There's two major difference:
Radius is 430mm
Thickness is lessen by 2mm at 1st fret and 1mm at 12th (for most type, this is not necessarely the case everytime)
And that drives the price up?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM

No, it's handcrafted, it's a better built, it's an overall beter instrument. I tought you where talking about the necks only.

It's like comparing a Squier to an american Fender, per say!
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
You won't be getting the neck profile that Ibanez has built their reputation on. If you want a nice, thin and fast playing neck, you're going to have to pay up and get a japanese model.

Dude, this guy is a Strat player.

ANY Ibanez neck is going to feel super thin and fast to him.

And the Wizard III neck is a fine neck. It's like 2mm thicker than the Wizard I, and still much thinner and flatter than any Strat neck.

You might have to file the fret edges on your neck. The Made in Indonesia quality control is hit and miss. Some of the ones I've played in the store have been awesome, and some have been rough along the edges (possibly from the wood underneath getting smaller or something?).

Definitely post a review when you get it. We'll all be curious what you think.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Make sure it gets a proper setup. Regardless of the manufacturing quality, nothing's worse than a floating trem guitar with low action that has a poor setup, and just won't play right.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Dude, this guy is a Strat player.

ANY Ibanez neck is going to feel super thin and fast to him.
This is what I'm looking forward to.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Either way--you're in for a real treat! Welcome to the world of Ibanez! As Obi-Wan said to Luke, " You've just taken your first step into a larger world."

Tags
rg350dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode