New to Ibanez-- which one to get? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

New to Ibanez-- which one to get?

Hey all,

I'm a long time guitar player-- started with electric in 1987 at the age of 13.

I've been through an enormous number and brands of guitars: Les Paul Studio, Carvins x 4, Jackson Dinky, Tele, Strats x 3, custom made 7 string Strat from Rice Guitars, Soloway, and on and on.

But no matter WHAT guitar I have played, I have always felt something was lacking.

Currently, I am playing a modded American Strat, with an Evertune Bridge and an EMG David Gilmour pickup set.

But even though the TONE is fantastic, I miss 24 frets! I miss having a locking trem for staying in tune and getting subtle vibrato. I miss having the low B string for extended chord voicings and heavier rhythm playing.

Getting to the point:

I recently watched a vid of a guitarist named Marshall Harrison. I was amazed to discover his musical tastes and desire to play the guitar efficiently/economically match my philosophy EXACTLY. I aspire to achieve his level of technique one day.
Well, someone asked him his opinion on what guitar to buy, and how to approach guitar as a novice. He replied, "You know, so many guys obsess over gear after only playing a short time. Just buy whatever gear your favorite guitarist uses (if you can). And then move on from there. I loved Paul Gilbert and so I tried to get the same gear as he had."

Well guess what: despite playing for 30 years now, I have NEVER owned an Ibanez!

My first big influence was Yngwie, so naturally I got a Strat. But I have never really felt COMFORTABLE playing a Strat. I prefer a flatter radius. Having 22 frets limits playing extended arpeggios and scales... Vintage trems suck at staying in tune (compared to Floyd Roses).

So I'm here now, FINALLY looking into getting an Ibanez! I think it will fit my playing style much better, and someone who plays the style I am pursuing (Marshall Harrison,) used Ibanez guitars forever until he could afford to buy Custom built guitars.

So now I'd like to ask-- What Ibanez models would you guys recommend to me that would satisfy these desires:
1. Has a trem that stays in tune (not whammying the heck out of it, just typical light vibrato)
2. Has the flattest possible radius
3. Does NOT have extra jumbo frets (medium jumbo preferred, or regular jumbo)
4. Preferably a 7 string!
5. Preferably has a maple fretboard
6. Costs $1,000 or less, but the cheaper the better!

Thank you everyone for your time. I know next to nothing about Ibanez guitars, so I'd appreciate any PERSONAL experience you all have! I could simply google a bunch of Ibanez guitars, but it's not the same as hearing from those of you who have played them and love them.

For those who are curious, here's a video of Marshall Harrison playing:

Thanks again for any Ibanez model suggestions you guys have!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Re: New to Ibanez-- which one to get?

You should look at S-series models. They are kind of Strat shape, but thinner, lighter and very comfortable to play.

Electric Guitars - S Series | Ibanez guitars
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mtc777 for the recommendation!

I do like the looks of those...but it seems there are no 7 string models of the S series (?)

I just spent some time reading some threads about the different Ibanez Trems. It seems the Lo Pro Edge is the one most favored?
I'm NOT trying to open a huge can of worms. Would you (or anyone else that cares to address it,) tell me if you have played different Ibanez trems and which one you prefer?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 10

I think it will be a challenge finding an Ibanez guitar that checks all of your boxes but doesn't have jumbo frets...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't mind "standard" or regular jumbos, I just don't want Super/Extra Jumbo frets.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 PM

I thought somebody had recommended an RG1527 on this thread but maybe I'm thinking of a different one. The RG1527 has an Edge Pro, which in my opinion is almost as good as the Lo Pro. Anyway, Guitar Center just listed one for $600. You could return it if it doesn't fit your needs, but I think you'll eat the shipping costs.

If you want a Lo Pro, you can look for an older RG7620, which will probably cost a little less on the used market.

Neither of these have maple fretboards.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

Right now, I think I'm trying to decide between an RG and an S. Obviously, the S isn't a 7 string, but it has me intrigued with the thin body.

Though I'd prefer a maple fretboard, it isn't a deal breaker.

I'll look more into the models and decide which might be the way to go...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:41 PM
Vendor

There are several S 7's with Lo Pro and you might be able to find a used S5427TKS around your budget.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyone View Post
Thanks for the info!

Right now, I think I'm trying to decide between an RG and an S. Obviously, the S isn't a 7 string, but it has me intrigued with the thin body.

Though I'd prefer a maple fretboard, it isn't a deal breaker.

I'll look more into the models and decide which might be the way to go...

The link mtc777 provided is not to the U.S. Ibanez website. The U.S. does not get this particular RG752: Electric Guitar RG - RG752MFS Prestige | Ibanez guitars

Here is the U.S. Ibanez website: Ibanez I am assuming you live in Nebraska by the way. If I'm wrong about that, everything I wrote is still true, just less useful.

Some advice:
1. I recommend getting a 7 string if you want a 7 string. There is little reason to do otherwise and it will help you focus your search.
2. Whether you buy new or used, the only features that really matter are these:
- "MIJ" or Made in Japan
- A Lo Pro Edge 7 in this particular instance.
- A proper setup.
I suppose a setup is not really a feature but one of the great things about Ibanez guitars is how much they benefit from a proper setup. It is incredible!
3. A properly setup Ibanez RG7620 will pretty much tell you whether you like Ibanez guitars or not. If Ibanez ever produced a true "diamond in the rough" it was the RG7620, and it is within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are several S 7's with Lo Pro and you might be able to find a used S5427TKS around your budget.
Listen to Rich.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help! Can't believe I didn't realize there WERE 7 strings in the S series!
I'll definitely check these out!

I'm REALLY excited to try out the Lo Pro trem. I HATE going out of tune, so I had an Evertune bridge installed on my Strat. But guess what? It STILL goes out of tune. Sure, it takes a few days, but it still goes out. This bridge was supposed to be as good or better than a Floyd, but it isn't any better-- it's actually worse, because its fixed only, and you can't do vibrato with it!

I got the Evertune because I use 007 gauge strings, and i couldn't keep in tune. I got custom low tension modules for the evertune, but they didn't work, and i had to move up to 008 gauge strings.

But if I get the Ibanez, I CAN use 007 gauge strings and stay in better than the Evertune.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyone View Post
So now I'd like to ask-- What Ibanez models would you guys recommend to me that would satisfy these desires:
1. Has a trem that stays in tune (not whammying the heck out of it, just typical light vibrato)
2. Has the flattest possible radius
3. Does NOT have extra jumbo frets (medium jumbo preferred, or regular jumbo)
4. Preferably a 7 string!
5. Preferably has a maple fretboard
6. Costs $1,000 or less, but the cheaper the better!

That combination is pretty rare in an Ibanez; there's a RG1527WH with a maple board but those are hard to find and there's a RG762 currently in production with a maple board. Both will likely be more than a grand - certainl;y the 762, possibly the white 1527, as well.

For the rest, though, either a used 7620 or a used 1527 (the rosewood board ones, which don't have as much of a scarcity value) would be a great option. You'll probably be able to find one for $4-600, maybe a bit more for the (newer) 1527s, and they're great guitars. The fretwire might be a little heavier than you would like, but especially on an older used guitar wear should have taken a little off the fret height. If you really need lighter fretwire, then a Universe is worth a look, but no maple and as a Vai signature model it's going to cost you a bit more.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone so much for the info!

Another question to all you Ibanez users out there:

Has anyone strung up their guitar with 008 or 007 gauge strings? If so, did the locking trem need to be fine tuned way more often, or is it no different than using 009's or 010's as far as tuning stability is concerned?

Thanks again!!

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode