New J-Customs, worth the upcharge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

New J-Customs, worth the upcharge?

Hey guys, it has been awhile. I have the opportunity (read:cash) to buy an RG8520 but I am not sure if i should spend the extra cash for the J-Custom or go with the new RG5320, very similar spec for less cash.

How do you guys feel about your J-customs? I have never owned one.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Re: New J-Customs, worth the upcharge?

Not a J-custom owner nor have I ever played one, but just from an esthetic point of view it would be the J-custom all the way for me. Nice thick flamed maple body, nice colors and beautiful tree of life vine on the neck. The 5320 has an ugly body (to me) and ugly pickups. They are both Japanese made so the craftsmanship will be pretty good on both. If you have the cash and you like Ibanez, a J-custom is the way to go if you ask me.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Agreed, they are the pinnacle of Ibanez RG. I have not played one either. Indianapolis sucks for high end Ibanez. The only store I have close that would have one to try out is Sweetwater and they dont keep them out in the music shop to test.

The only other guitar I had been considering was a Music Man JP15.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM

J-customs are definitely worth it, they're all great instruments. Does Sweetwater have the one you want? I don't know what the return policy is on them, but that could be an option to safely try one. Be careful though, you won't want to return it.. 🙂
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent k View Post
J-customs are definitely worth it, they're all great instruments. Does Sweetwater have the one you want? I don't know what the return policy is on them, but that could be an option to safely try one. Be careful though, you won't want to return it.. 🙂
Sweetwater had the GE (green emerald) but the tops sucked in comparison to the SDE's that I have seen. I am about to pull the trigger I think.
FireEagle likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:21 PM

Yes agree, the SDE is a great color. Rich (Ibanez Rules) has a few currently in stock with nice flame tops. For what it's worth I have a few older jems and universes, and I love them.. but I always go for the j-custom as my main player. Good luck!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 AM

I bought mine from Rich and it's awesome. It's definitely one I won't ever sell.

bammbamm and aesthyrian like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 04:10 AM

In my opinion it is not worth to pay more for the J-Custom label, unless you have the opportunity to test the guitar for several hours and really fall in love with it.

I had a bad experience buying a RG8550MZ with a dead note. I had to sell it.

Long story here:
https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/j...-145370-2.html

Even without the dead note, it didn't add any value to my old RG550LTD with Gravity Storms, except the smell of new.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 10:00 AM

I think this is a tough question to ask in 2020, because you're getting different things for your money. Neck to me is always the biggest because it's the most obvious thing you feel. These will have identical neck contours, so they should feel the same. No real difference. You're getting (dyed) Macassar ebony on the 5320 which is nice and stainless frets, which is really nice. It's a shame that the JC's aren't giving you the stainless frets. If you want a real maple top these days, you're paying for a JC. Not sure how important that is to you? Looks like Rich has a real nice 8520 in stock, but the 5320 is a cool guitar as well. I saw some more pics of one recently and the finish was way cooler than it appears online.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on one of the 8520 SDE guitars. The top was too good to pass up. The GE tops I have seen have been less than stellar.

I agree, I would have liked to have the Stainless frets but maybe there is a 5320 down the line also. I will probably buy a Mesa 5:25 before I buy another guitar.

Jeff

Last edited by satchmo72; 06-23-2020 at 11:03 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Congrats man that is beautiful.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Congrats man that is beautiful.
Thanks!! I cant wait to see it in person!!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
the 5320 is a cool guitar as well. I saw some more pics of one recently and the finish was way cooler than it appears online.
good that you say that because i am split on the looks of it but thought it might look much better in person
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 AM

Cool guitar, congrats Jeff! Here's the pic I saw. Hopefully this works...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104483637_3236032483115908_7245684932206500416_o.jpg (608.9 KB, 31 views)
lordhar and neubywankaneuby like this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM

That J-custom looks very nice, beautiful flame!

The 5320 looks like a wrinkled aluminium foil guitar to me, don't like it all. So wise choice!

Tags
j-custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode