New JC Day - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

New JC Day

I had a RG3120 for a short while and while the inherent brightness of that guitar didn't really work for me at the time, I was very impressed by the overall quality and exquisite looks of it. Fast forward a few months and I'm thinking - why not go one up and find out what the J Customs are made of? So I did and snagged a lovely black onyx RG8470F from 2006 off a Japanese guitar store for, what I think, was a very affordable price for such a quality piece of equipment. There aren't even any signs of use!
Upgraded the Edge Pro with the locking stud mod and a hefty brass block. Quite a tone monster! The pickups I'm not so sure about, already looking for a set of D Activators to replace them Anyway, on the plus side this is probably the best guitar I have seen. On the minus side however, one is not enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Re: New JC Day

Congrats! that is a very nice guitar, i'd love to own a J Custom one day, the only thing i'm not so crazy about (other than the price) is the vine inlays.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Ha! Ha! Yeah one JC is never enough. Awesome guitar.
I've the same model here. Great build quality and it
plays effortlessly. The Black Onyx finish is stunning in
the flesh.

Congratz on snagging that beautiful JC!!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 10

awesome - gorgeous guitar! I've never had the good fortune of playing one but I think the J-Custom would be the ultimate guitar...I hope to have one someday. And I love the vine inlay - it's part of what makes a JC so special and beautiful. congratulations!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM

Sweet one! What pickups came in that one?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all! Still awestruck by the guitar, no mistake. It came with Tone Zone, True Velvet and Air Zone - the basic combination. I put Duncan Custom and Jazz in, as they are my go-to pickups for just about every kind of music, and it's the perfect fit (well I did have to spend a lot of time to file them down, but rhetorically speaking)

The TZ got a ceramic magnet and I'm going to try the set in my RG570 for fun and education... Well fun mostly
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosunen View Post
It came with Tone Zone, True Velvet and Air Zone
Tone Zone, Blue Velvet, Air Norton. Providing it was stock of course.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Tone Zone, Blue Velvet, Air Norton. Providing it was stock of course.
Ah yes thanks. I thought as much, but then I didn't see a blue velvet on the DiMarzio site and went with true Shows how little I use single coils I suppose
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosunen View Post
Ah yes thanks. I thought as much, but then I didn't see a blue velvet on the DiMarzio site and went with true Shows how little I use single coils I suppose
Cool man. True Velvet and Air Zone were never stock on the 8470's, bit before
their time I think. Actually I love the positions 2 and 4 with the stock combo
but you're right most guys go for H/H these days, just look at how many customs
have that config. What do you think of the JC build quality compared to your other
Ibby??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I got confused a bit, but at least I got the TZ right Definitely not bad by any means, the stock set, but D Custom and mahogany is just something else.

The tolerances and overall fit are absolutely perfect on both ibbies - as it was with an RG3120 I had briefly. Both sport a high grade rosewood fretboard, pitch black, and neither has any finish imperfections either. Of course the JC is known for the ultra nice fret finish, and it really is very eye-catching. The 1990 RG570 is more traditional, or economical, in that regard, but the frets are perfectly level and still in great shape. Functionally they are about even. It comes down to spec differences I guess. The RG is a reliable, dependable tool whereas the JCRG goes one further and introduces aesthetics, fine details and a sense of prestige to the same dependable frame. I might have a bit too emotional attachment to the old RG as it's my first guitar, got it in 97
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Nice!! Thanks for the insight man. Yeah JC's really are a cut
above for me. After that I'll take an 87-93 MIJ RG any day of the
week over most anything Ibanez have produced since. Funnily
enough the RG3120 that you mentioned would be one of my
'must own' Prestige models along with the RGA121/321. There
are others but gimme an RG5XX or RG7XX series and I'm a happy
man. Nothing can touch the mighty JC's though.

You should fire up some outdoor pics of that JCRG8470 although
it's probably not advisable to take it outdoors for prolonged periods
in your part of the world at this time of year
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM

Great guitar.

How do you feel about the Edge Pro? I know if I were getting a J.Custom I'd prefer a LoPro or a Gotoh (if they made them with those trems!), but that's just me.

Also that's a cool 570!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

About the Edge Pro - I don't think it's inferior to the Lo Pro in any way, perhaps even very slightly better since the string locking mechanism is simpler and the profile even lower. I did like the Gotoh trem, but then again, all of the high end trems such as the Edge, LP, EP, OFR, Schaller Lockmeister and the Gotoh GE1996T are perfectly fine and I wouldn't consider swapping one for another unless there was damage to the original. I do think the Edge variants benefit quite a lot from a bigger sustain block. Both of my Ibanezes have those. Then again, all of my OFR equipped guitars have them too, although the effect is not as big with those. Gotoh comes with a good brass block to begin with
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM

I grabbed an RG8571 from Rich - basically this guitar with a tight-end bridge. Love it.

Tags
j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode