New Max Cavalera ESP signature - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

New Max Cavalera ESP signature

I just interviewed Max about The Cavalera Conspiracy and he said he's working on a new signature model with ESP, similar to his current AX-based sig, but designed for only 4 strings. His current model is a regular 6 string but he leaves off the B and E strings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Re: New Max Cavalera ESP signature

Reminds me of the band "The Presidents of the United States" and their three string guitars.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 PM

With all due respect to Max, just learn to use the B and E.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 7

yeah leave the 4 strings to bass players...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: New Max Cavalera ESP signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
yeah leave the 4 strings to bass players...
All the bass players I know play 5 or 6 string bass...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: New Max Cavalera ESP signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
With all due respect to Max, just learn to use the B and E.
A-freaking-men!!!

A slap in the face to real guitar players everywhere...

He might as well just start playing Guitar Hero III (with only 2 buttons )
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 AM

I agree. Pretty much the dumbest thing I've seen.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 4

Soulfly was joke and I imagine this new project will be too. He should have never left Sepultura....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Eh, it works for him, and he gets more mileage out of those 4 strings than many other guitarists get with 7. On the new album there are a lot more of the intricate riffs like on Arise, and the overall tone sound is very punchy and aggressive. Marc Rizzo is on lead guitar and he shreds like a beast. Soulfly disappointed me a bit because there were too many drop-tuned, play-a-chord-with-one-finger nu metal style riffs, but this new album is very very far from that sound. If you liked Sepultura pre Roots, there's a lot to like about this new band.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Eh, it works for him, and he gets more mileage out of those 4 strings than many other guitarists get with 7.
I hear ya. If you're only gonna play four strings why have the other two? His signature string set should be nice and cheap!

On the serious side though, it's been done before. The bass player in Disneyland After Dark (remember them??) had a 2 string bass with a very thin neck.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM

This reminds me of Scott Ian's NOT guitar that only had frets up to like 12 or 15. His reason, "I don't play up there"
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM

It's easy to criticise but Max proved his abilities on the earlier albums. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone....just continue to make the music he wants.

Ummmm....on Get Out Of My Yard, Paul Gilbert plays 2 songs with guitars strung with only 3 strings. Guess he sucks too??

Whens the album out Petie, did they say??? Would be cool to hear what his re-union with Igor will produce
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
It's easy to criticise but Max proved his abilities on the earlier albums. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone....just continue to make the music he wants.

Ummmm....on Get Out Of My Yard, Paul Gilbert plays 2 songs with guitars strung with only 3 strings. Guess he sucks too??

Whens the album out Petie, did they say??? Would be cool to hear what his re-union with Igor will produce
You can't really campare the two players. Besides paul only does it for a specific section, and it would've been pointless to put the extra strings on to continue the tuning he had going on the one neck on his double guitar.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM

I wasn't comparing them, i was merely pointing out that just because a player chooses to have his guitar set up/strung in whatever configuration he chooses doesn't mean he's crap as was implied

People here are all too quick sometimes to blindly criticise purely for the sake of it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM

If Max only plays four strings and wants his signature guitar to have four strings, that's his prerogative. I think it's cool that ESP will put it out.

Tags
guitar players , paul gilbert , playing guitar , scott ian , signature guitar , string bass , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode