New member... and my RG570 (with added toys) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

New member... and my RG570 (with added toys)

Hiya. Just thought I'd say hello and post a quick picture of my RG570. It's a 1993 model, originally in black but now refinished satin grey. It has an internal Roland GK-2 hex pickup, a Sustainiac Stealth and Seymour Duncan humbuckers - Lil'59 neck and '59 Trembucker bridge. I'm rather fond of it...

and a closeup - there's a bit of a fisheye effect here, the pickup rings are straight on the guitar but they appear skewed because of the macro mode on my camera.

If anyone's particularly interested, I also have a shot of the rear of the guitar with the covers off, so you can see the huge amount of wiring needed to fit all of this kit into one guitar. And I'm not finished yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Welcome aboard dot-dot-dot That's a cool set up you've got there. If I recall correctly you've stated on HC that you had the work done by Barry at machinehead didn't you ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Hiya - yes, Barrie did both installations. It's really neat work - the only problem is that the bridge pickup ring has to be cut to fit the GK2 in, but that's down to the limited spacing between the trem and the pickup.

I'm looking now at buying the piezo elements for the Double Edge bridge and an RMC Polydrive and removing the GK2. Then I can run a hex output directly from the piezos, as well as having a piezo output. That'll neaten up the front of the guitar, though it'll probably mean routing yet another cavity in the rear for the additional circuitry. I'm also looking at replacing the 13-pin DIN that Roland uses for the hex pickup with a much more reliable 8-pin screwlock system and a new cable with a breakout box on the end for the S1/S2 and GK volume controls.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 09:18 AM

I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences with the Sustainiac as well as the tonal and volume differences between the stock pickups and the Little '59 in the neck. I've wanted to do a mod like that for awhile now but don't relish carving up my RG550 nor losing the tone and volume that the humbucker in the neck position affords me.

Great looking axe....and some killer mods to boot!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

The Sustainiac is lovely. A lot of people compare it to the Ebow, which in my view is unfair on both bits of kit. The Sustainiac is basically like being stood in front of a huge cranked amp, you get endless sustain (especially on the lower strings). Flip the mode to Harmonic and you get that screaming feedback sound - but it's very controllable. The really nice things about it are that it feels and sounds so natural because it's working directly on the strings, that it works clean and that it works at any volume level. There is a tonal difference when you kick the harmonic mode in - the normal mode doesn't affect the sound at all, other than pushing the output up a little, but the harmonic mode really pushes the harmonics (as you'd expect), even when you don't let it start to scream. It makes for an almost incandescent sound, really fiery. My RG is also set up to allow me to use any of the pickups with the Sustainiac, not just the bridge one.

I don't know how easy it would be to justify, really, but I had spare cash and had always wanted to try it. Much better than the Fernandes Sustainer in every respect.

The Lil'59 is very nice sounding. Compared to the stock (a V1 on my RG) it's clearer and smoother, but has a similar overall balance of sound. It's a smidge hotter too, but not so much as would cause a problem. I'd say it's a definite improvement, but not a horrible shift in the sound. You'll get a similar overall sound, but just generally "better".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 05:29 PM

Welcome,dot-dot-dot...Hope you have a fine time in this forum

Tags
bridge pickup , double edge bridge , edge bridge , fernandes sustainer , lower strings , neck position , pickup ring , pickup rings , seymour duncan , seymour duncan humbuckers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode