new member/new guitar MIJ 94 RG550 LTD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

new member/new guitar MIJ 94 RG550 LTD

Hello. I just picked up a MIJ 1994 RG550 Blk. Glad I found this site. Had an Ibanez RG back in 90. I picked up one of the AR200 artist a few years back upgraded the pickups to a duncan jazz neck and a Jb in the bridge. Amazing what good pickups can do for the right cut of wood. I love it. Wanted a total shredder so I researched and found this very cheaply priced jewel on line. I am excited. The neck is like new and outside of a few minor dings this guitar loks like it did a lot of case time. No buckle rash either. I do have issues though.

-The Hums are moving up and down on the screws. They dont come off just move up and down.

- The tremolo angle adjustment screws seem to be at an obscenley uneven depth of inserstion to get the angle right ( maybe?)

- Neck looks straight but messed with the trem slightly last night to get rid of the slight buzzing on the low E and A strings.

-The guitar's body is in such good shape that the few tiny dings actually bug me. I'ts black so I'm hoping to post to find someone hear that can provide info on making them disappear as best as possible.

- Been spending some time looking into pickups and I'm thinking I would like air norton neck-area 61 middle-evo 2 bridge. Still much research to do with compatability with each other and tone. I do want to move fast with this though as I'm seething at the bit here.

These things I will probably address in individual posts. But I guess if it's not frowned upon please feel free to comment on this thread or let me know that members like individual threads. I think after 25 years I may finally be an Ibanez guy after all. I LOVE the feel and playability. I think the RG will compliment the mahogoney set neck artist very well and provide a completley different look,feel and tone in the end which is what I was aiming for. Kinda cool to get that with one maker. I am contemplating buying the pickups and having a pro set it up as I have no experience tinkering with floaters and want to shred this guitar so bad quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Re: new member/new guitar MIJ 94 RG550 LTD

Welcome!! Congratz on the guitar. Your's is the one with the Sharktooth inlays right? I'm sure a setup will sort out all of the minor problems you listed. We'd love to see pics of the guitar as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Hey welcome. You should check out http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm. I've found the information there very helpful when setting up/tweaking my guitars.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM

what? no pictures?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Here is a quick pic. Not the greatest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ibbys 012.JPG (38.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 PM

Reviews: 2

That pic is waaay too small to show the beauty of that axe. Could you post a bigger pic, please??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 AM

I have not seen an RG 550 with sharktooth inlays before. Did they come like that from the factory or is it a different neck? Nice Score either way! Rock on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
I have not seen an RG 550 with sharktooth inlays before. Did they come like that from the factory or is it a different neck? Nice Score either way! Rock on.
As the thread title says... it's an RG550 LTD which along with the RG670DX and RG570CT were introduced back in the 90's to sort of try to half fill part of the void left when the RG700 series dissappeared.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:16 AM

Reviews: 12

Congrats. I bet you are going to love the neck. I bought a RG270 in March and I decided to upgrade It. I purchased a RG550LTD neck just like the one you have and It has made my guitar 1000% better. I like the feel of the Wizard neck so much I will never use any other neck again. The sharktooth are a nice touch too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Hub

Nice guitar, welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode