New member and new project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By 86runner
  • 2 Post By 86runner
  • 1 Post By 86runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

New member and new project

Hey from Franklin, TN! New to Ibanez and thought I'd learn from the best! Just picked up a project that is yet to be identified (hope to have yall's help on that) and am going to have some questions as I get into it. I have 30+ other guitars and have always wanted to pick up an Ibanez shredder of some sort, though I most definitely can't shred. Who knows, maybe after I get this thing built it'll change my style of playing! Anyway, glad to be here!
FireEagle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Re: New member and new project

I bought a neck/body combo off of The Gear Page that has been professionally splatter painted and therefore there are no body markings, etc. As such, I have no idea what original model it is. I'm wanting to pull the trem studs to install a Gotoh FR, but I have no idea what size studs or bolts I need to pick up to pull them. I'm assuming this is a low end import RG. I'm sure this isn't enough information to go on, and I can't post pics or the link to the thread on TGP yet, otherwise I'd just post up some pics. I know there have been a ton of different trems used, but is there one that this most likely would be? I appreciate any info!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86runner View Post
I bought a neck/body combo off of The Gear Page that has been professionally splatter painted and therefore there are no body markings, etc. As such, I have no idea what original model it is. I'm wanting to pull the trem studs to install a Gotoh FR, but I have no idea what size studs or bolts I need to pick up to pull them. I'm assuming this is a low end import RG. I'm sure this isn't enough information to go on, and I can't post pics or the link to the thread on TGP yet, otherwise I'd just post up some pics. I know there have been a ton of different trems used, but is there one that this most likely would be? I appreciate any info!

I tried looking on TGP's site, but didn't see any Ibanez ad... I'm not too familiar with that site though. You are legit, so just make a few posts so you can post a link. Ibanez marked the neck pockets of guitars a lot, so you might look there for identifying info (unless it got painted over... lol).
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, EVERYTHING got painted over, including the tops of the old trem inserts. Until I started drilling for the new inserts, I thought the old ones were already out! To my surprise, I started drilling metal instead of basswood, which is what I assume this is. The finish is really well done, though. I'm completely new to Ibanez, so I'm really unfamiliar with what I'm looking at, though I'm no stranger to building guitars and wood work. I'm taking a crash course on Floyds, lock nuts and Dimarzios at the moment!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and before I got it in the mail, I spent a lot of time comparing pics in the seller's thread of the body routs to other RGs on the old interwebs to try to identify it. One thing that was different was the fact this one has a 9V cavity routed in the back. Wouldn't you know it, after I got it, I discovered it's a home job. No wonder I couldn't find a match! Planning to make a run to Home Depot with the body in hand to (hopefully) find a bolt suitable for removal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Got em pulled. 7mm hex bolt did it. Also tore out some basswood in the process. I think it'll be ok. Seems plenty sturdy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Dang... Might be hard to ID what model it is, but there are a lot of experienced Ibanez guys on here that should be able to help. Should be a fun project! Post that link to the pictures when you can... Good luck, from a fellow non-shredder.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of pics. First 1 is from the for sale thread and the rest are mine with current progress. Air Norton/Super Distortion installed with an Area 67 on the way for the middle. Gotoh Floyd installed. Wiring harness, nut and Sperzels on the way.

peromucho7 and FireEagle like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:31 PM

Wow... that's actually a cool splatter finish! Should be a fun project and look great when finished. How does that neck feel? You may be able to identify the neck by the measurements to help identify where the body came from:

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

Not always set in stone, but from what I've seen the lower level RG's had/have Wizard II or Wizard III necks (which I find more comfortable as they are a little thicker) and the upper level RG's had/have Wizard or Super Wizard. Lots of variations on those neck types too.

Last edited by FireEagle; 05-13-2020 at 03:38 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

The info is much appreciated! The neck is far thinner than anything I've experienced. I'm a fat C guy. .9 and up at the first is ideal to me, so this is shockingly thin! I'll take some measurements in a bit and compare.
FireEagle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode