New member - questions about my RG! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

New member - questions about my RG!

Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for weeks getting some info together. Such a great place. I've been thinking heavily lately to finally get a JEM. But before we get into that. I have a green RG (don't remember the model) that i was hoping you'd be able to help me out with.

I bought it about ten years ago. I started thinking I'd sell it to fund the JEM but I'm having trouble with the idea of parting with it. It's a great guitar so I changed my mind and I'm trying to get it refinished and when i do, I would like to add a pickguard. Would any ibanez pickguard work and where can I find one?

I have so many other questions but we'll leave those for later

Thanks so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: New member - questions about my RG!

RG pickgaurd is an RG pickgaurd... That said, your description is awful and you need to tell us 1) what model it is, or 2) Get us some pictures.

Getting us the serial number on the back of the head stock is a good place to start
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
RG pickgaurd is an RG pickgaurd... That said, your description is awful and you need to tell us 1) what model it is, or 2) Get us some pictures.

Getting us the serial number on the back of the head stock is a good place to start
Not all RG pickguards are the same....... the RG550/750 has different pickup spacing and trem cutout from the RG350/450. It's very important to get the model number first Davie..... With a few good pics we'll get you sorted in no time.........

BTW.... A big welcome to Jemsite Buddy!!!!!

Ryc
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Not all RG pickguards are the same....... the RG550/750 has different pickup spacing and trem cutout from the RG350/450. It's very important to get the model number first Davie..... With a few good pics we'll get you sorted in no time.........

Ryc
Hate to argue, but my jem pickgaurd is EXACTLY the same as my rg350 pickgaurd.... any reason for that?

I'll get you a picture tonight if you want... lol.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Ryc
Thanks so much. It's at my local dealer right now getting a good setup (it's been awhile). As soon as I get it back, I'll take some pics and post them. I appreciate it.

Thanks
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Hate to argue, but my jem pickgaurd is EXACTLY the same as my rg350 pickgaurd.... any reason for that?

I'll get you a picture tonight if you want... lol.
LOL.... I guess a JEM is not an RG?? I've never had one to compare...... I do however have an RG450 and a 550, and I've sold off several 350dx's. The guards are absolutely different between the MIJ and MIK RG's.... as a note, the mounting holes are slightly different too. Another thing to note is that the pickups spacing is different on an RG570 from any guard mounted guitars..... which is why I had a problem making my custom guard. I used my 450 guard as a template and found that the pickup spacing was off by up to 5mm. The reason I bring this up is that I'm guessing Davie has an RG570 (it's the only RG that I remember being green other than the LNG)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM

There are green RGs?

(Well, I guess my RGT42FX is green so what the heck am I saying. lol)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm still waiting to get the guitar back from my dealer. The only picture I managed to dig up is this one. I apologize for the quality. I will post better quality, multiple pics when I get it back to help you out.

Any chance, just from that pic, you can decipher what model it is?

Last edited by Davie Dynamite; 11-08-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM

It kinda looks like a RG1570 in mirage blue, from your picture.

Check Rich's page Ibanezrules.com under the NAMM photos section. You should be able to see pics of the mirage finish in 2006-2008. That should give you an idea of whether I'm close, or way off the mark.

** EDIT ** Crap, I forgot you said "10 years ago". Scratch my guess then..
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

hmm, It might not be 10 years exact, but in and around that area. I did check out the pics of the mirage blue though, and it's definitely not that. It's most definitely like a forest green. It's probably hard to tell from that pic. Hopefully I can pick it up today and get some good ones up.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Looks a bit like Juniper Green.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I googled Juniper green is it definitely looks like my colour. The only guitar coming up with juniper green, that I can see is a 1998 Ibanez RG570...

This could be it.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM

yup, it's definitely a 570....... nice one too!!!

Here's the original ad for it:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/231/6.jpg

Sounds like it's going to be a great build Davie, but your going to need a custom made pickguard......... something similar to the guards on the RG770DX or the Jem FP's.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! The guitar is a lot better then I'd thought. I haven't played it in years because a few other guitars took the reigns. But this has some great quality to it.

I'm not sure what to do about the pickguard... Which one do you think will have the best fit? And, where do you recommend I purchase it?

Thanks
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Ryc is correct--not all RG pickguards fit all model. My 550 won't fit my Jem, and my 770DX did not fit the 550. This is why aftermarket manufacturers need the exact model number and some want a tracing of the original.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode