New member with RG390 question. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

New member with RG390 question.

Hello all.

I have a Ibanez RG390GX. Can anybody help clear up a question that I have about it?

I have been searching for a while for info on it and I'm glad I came across the Jemsite. From what I have read on here, it is a rare guitar. No wonder I couldn't find any info anywhere else.

Anyway, everyone seems to call it a 390. But the shop I bought it from, Carlsboro in Sheffield way back in January 1999, had it marked up as a 390GX. Is this correct and what would the GX stand for?

Pic attached (I hope).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dr. Dub; 11-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Re: New member with RG390 question.

Try this link to the 1998 Ibanez Asian market catalog. It shows the RG390GX, but only in white.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/..._id=232&now=11
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. So I guess my guitar should really be called a RG390GXBK seeing as it's black.

I wonder if the GX denotes gold hardware? Anybody?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 AM

That was my guess as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dub View Post
Thanks for the link. So I guess my guitar should really be called a RG390GXBK seeing as it's black.

I wonder if the GX denotes gold hardware? Anybody?
Yes, I think GX denotes gold hardware.

And I know Carlsbro very well! Spent most of my youth in there! It was an awesome place to buy Ibanez guitars in the 80's, they had literally everything including LNG Jem's.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ahh yes, Carlsboro in the 80s. Yes they did have some choice guitars. Although back then all I could afford from them was a Charvette 250. Dare I mention that here? Later I got an ESP Kamikaze from them but that was awful.

I even had a Jackson in my collection, but that and the ESP were sold as soon as I got my Ibanez. Even though the Jackson was nice it couldn't hold a candle to the RG.

Taking RG for a set up tomorrow, the first one it's needed in almost 10 years. It played beautifully right out of the box.

Here's another question. In the Ibanez brochure that was linked to above, it states that the body is Resoncast. I'm not sure this is so. With the back plate removed, I'm sure some wood grain is visible in the trem routing. And on the back of the body, you can see a bit of an uneven finish under the paint that looks like woodgrain due to it's age. You know when the wood has dried/settled fully or whatever. Much the same as on my SG.

Hmmm, curioser and curioser.

Thanks for the help guys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Dee

I believe Resoncast is like a mix of glue/resin and otherwise unusable bits of wood! Not exactly a desirable tonewood, but actually I have never played a Resoncast bodied guitar, I have no idea how they sound.

Lots of info on Resoncast bodied axes here:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/disc...5751/5832.html

Tags
rg390

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode