New Mick Thompson model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

New Mick Thompson model

Has anyone seen the new mtm2. i have just spotted it in the new ibanez catalogue. Does anyone know anything about it or have any pictures of a real live one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 PM

Re: New Mick Thompson model

Wow, that's kind of generic for being a signature model.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 AM

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2007/mb_mt_apex.htm

about half way down the page is the specs and a real photo of it.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
Wow, that's kind of generic for being a signature model.
I think its very unique. You have the set trem-type bridge. You have no inlays, white binding and reverse headsock. Plus the H-H config which is sorta rare for this company.

That being said, the red one was much cooler (except the controversial SEVEN inlays)

Last edited by Act of God; 01-21-2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: adding
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_72 View Post
Does anyone know anything about it or have any pictures of a real live one?
Bolt-on Neck
Made in Indonesia
Ibanez V7 and V8 pickups
Wizard II neck
Fixed EDGE III bridge

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Dee

It's just a cheap guitar and probably not bad for the money. Looks OK (if you take the "Seven" truss rod cover off), but I dunno about the quality control being as it's Indonesian.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I think its very unique. You have the set trem-type bridge. You have no inlays, white binding and reverse headsock. Plus the H-H config which is sorta rare for this company.

That being said, the red one was much cooler (except the controversial SEVEN inlays)
I see what you mean.

But, this is a forum for JEM fans. And of course, the JEM has the fancy Vine Of Life inlay, and the Monkey Grip, and the H-S-H configuration, etc. It's just really distinguishable. When you see it, you know it's Vai's.

But if I saw that Mick Thompson Ibanez somewhere, I probably wouldn't even know it was his.

To each his own, though.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
But, this is a forum for JEM fans. And of course, the JEM has the fancy Vine Of Life inlay, and the Monkey Grip, and the H-S-H configuration, etc. It's just really distinguishable. When you see it, you know it's Vai's.

But if I saw that Mick Thompson Ibanez somewhere, I probably wouldn't even know it was his.
But thats just because your a Vai fan.

In the mainstream world, a kid who likes rock/metal will know that it is Mick Thompson's guitar.

And I would put good money on the kid not knowing who the hell Steve Vai even is.

I'm sure there are various metal fans out there that could pick out Mick Thompson un-masked no problem. But ask them who Vai is, and they couldn't even tell you. I know some people like that.

Its just different peoples tastes isn't it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
But thats just because your a Vai fan.

In the mainstream world, a kid who likes rock/metal will know that it is Mick Thompson's guitar.

And I would put good money on the kid not knowing who the hell Steve Vai even is.

I'm sure there are various metal fans out there that could pick out Mick Thompson un-masked no problem. But ask them who Vai is, and they couldn't even tell you. I know some people like that.

Its just different peoples tastes isn't it.
Yeah, I never thought of it that way.

Good point.

I still think it's a shame that guitarists like Mick Thompson are known better than Vai. I'm not dissing Mick, but Steve Vai is... Well, he's Steve Vai.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Dee

Quote:
That's a good thing, I'd say.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM

haha what a pile of s h i t
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM

The RGR321BK is pretty much just like that but with a more convenient standard hardtail bridge and standard nut, and no seven truss rod cover.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigeaxes View Post
haha what a pile of s h i t
HAHAHAHAHA what a funny comment! You're so funny! And so right! I wish I was like you and had reaaaal important and eloquently expressed opinions that I could share with the world, you funny, funny person! Oh, what fun!

Grow up.

I very much like the guitar; it's a very functional shred machine that's got it's 'own' look in the little ways like the reverse headstock and binding combined with the FX bridge. I personally find it a little more lenient upon ones preconceptions of genre, not pushing itself so forcefully into metal as the red one does. I love the fact that there's an affordable FX model; I really dislike the floyd rose system and if had a little more money and less impending 30,000 debts (being a student is fun), I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 7

It has everything that would make me buy it, but the fact that it's made in Indonesia and it's a mick sig. (plus the truss cover, but that's easily fixed) prevents me from buying one! Still, if Ibanez made this into a regular prestige model or something I'd buy one in a heart beat. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the colors Ibanez enthusiast beg for, but you can't go wrong with a sleek black guitar with a white binding to make it stick out a bit...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I still think it's a shame that guitarists like Mick Thompson are known better than Vai. I'm not dissing Mick, but Steve Vai is... Well, he's Steve Vai.
Yeah, I suppose so, but I kinda think it's a pity that Vai is better known than Joe Pass, or Howard Roberts, or even Django Reinhart, y'know, I'm not dissing Steve, but Django is, well, he's Django Reinhart!

Only pulling your leg - it's a generational thing!

Tags
edge iii bridge , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , floyd rose , guitar players , hardtail bridge , ibanez catalog , mick thompson , monkey grip , reverse headstock , shred machine , steve vai , truss cover , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode