New neon RGs - they're not popular enough - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Re: New neon RGs - they're not popular enough

If the RG1570 came in RFR I would've bought one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Suppose they could just simply add DY and RFR to the RG2550E. That would pritty much do it to be honest, and a maple fretboard then your sorted! Just a slight variation to what they already make
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Well, the thread on the Ibanez forum and the threads here were a big reason why I bought one. I put down a deposit thinking that the pre-release orders would sell out the run of DY and RFR. So the reality hasn't quite lived up to the hype . . . so what? I have a HOT guitar that glows in the dark and I am re-living my teen years of the eighties. I'm having a blast.

I think it still remains to be seen if these RGs are "not popular enough." What's for sure is that these models have already generated a huge amount of excitement and interest even among non-Ibanez fans.

I was the one who told my dealer about these models and the first time he called the next link in the chain (Chesbro? the sales rep?), whoever that was claimed to know nothing as well. As the guys at the shop started talking about it, other people expressed interest and they have already accepted a deposit on a DY. (They ordered two four-packs based on what they heard after I told them about the guitars, and they have received one of those packs.)
post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM

I think the price is definitely an issue, epecially here in the UK. Just look at any RG550, RG770DX on the bay, people are all over them. So IMO, I think at the right price, the demand is still high. I need to sell my Les Paul Custom to get a RF, I may be too late now though
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM

I sure hope mine ships next week.
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

There's lots of interest - yes.
People are going "woohoo" - yes.

Not many people are buying them though, hence their not popular enough
post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Give me a break. These things JUST came out. You can't say "Hey, they must not be popular! My local store's got one, and it's been there a WHOLE WEEK!" If you still see them on the shelves in six months or a year, then make your judgment.

The point made about the sales of the neons vs. the sales of the black 550s is valid. If nobody wanted neon, the blacks would sell faster, you'd think. I'm guessing that's not the case. If nobody wanted neon, the prices of the original 550's on the used market would be the same, regardless of color. Such is not the case - the neons have consistently commanded higher prices.

Just because YOU don't like neons doesn't mean that nobody else likes neons.
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM

i belive bikeman does like neons. He has 2 original RG550's in RFR, and two new ones in DY and RFR on order.
That is if its the same guy who is twinfan on the BKP forum! hehe

In all fairness, it is a bit too early to judge. I would say there very popular
post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Dee

Bikeman does like neon's!

That's an understatement, right bikeman?

But anyway, I'm convinced it's the price. In fact I remember a thread on here a while back where lots of people were put off by the price and saying they could pick up a used one for so much less. If they were a few hundred bucks / pounds / whatever cheaper, they would undoubtedly be more popular. I can hardly blame anyone for thinking this way, but me, I don't mind because I'm getting one from the USA and saving a significant amount of money. The RG550 is my favourite guitar of all time, but if I'd had to pay the UK price I would have said "shove it, Ibanez!". As it stands, I won't be paying all that much more than I did for my original Road Flare 20 years ago, plus this one is made better (especially the neck), it's got the matching case (my original didn't), plus the special touch of being a limited edition / collectible model. I paid £400 for a faded 550 back in the day, so that equates to around $800. I'm paying $899 for the 20th. To me, that's a total bargain, but £849 UK list price? Forget it. I would rather buy an oldie and have money left over.

They shouldn't have priced it higher than the RG2550, that was very wrong, especially when it's not really a Prestige.

Last edited by Dee; 03-26-2007 at 01:36 PM.
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM

£849 as the UK store price is ridiculous

$849 is more like it - good score Dee
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Just because YOU don't like neons doesn't mean that nobody else likes neons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apmaman View Post
i belive bikeman does like neons. He has 2 original RG550's in RFR, and two new ones in DY and RFR on order.
That is if its the same guy who is twinfan on the BKP forum! hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Bikeman does like neon's!

That's an understatement, right bikeman?
Yep, that's me. And I do like neons. As apmaman says I have two RG20ths on order, and two original RFRs.

Given the limited numbers I would have thought if demand was very high, the neon RG20ths would be sold by now. We know there are more black 20ths than any other colour, so lets say 550 ( ) RF and 550 DY are going to be produced. 1100 neons. Worldwide. That's not a large number of guitars. And they're fairly easily available now, over 3 months after orders were starting be taken and 2 months after their launch at NAMM. What Dee says about pricing is true, although the prices are roughly in line with other Ibanez models. Especially when you consider the colour matched cases etc.

I still don't believe neon RGs are popular enough as a new guitar to warrant regular production status. To be honest, if I could find a good '87 RG550DY I'd buy that rather than the new one I have on order. I'd even pay the same price...

Last edited by bikeman; 03-26-2007 at 01:36 PM.
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Vendor

They're quite popular with the guys that like them.

I tried to tell everybody [in some argument with a noob who was claiming they were just geared toward collectors] that they *were* available to the general public, because 1987 is A LOT of guitars. You guys created your own hype and buzz about everybody selling out etc. Of course I sold out fast but only because I did not want unlimited sets as I'm still going to be chewing on blacks until I find a way to dump them. The ONLY people buying black so far are those buying neon and want another to keep the miles off the new neon.
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

There aren't 1,987 neons though Rich. We haven't had final numbers anywhere, but the fact that some distributers have a 1:1:2 split over RFY:BK that proves there are more black han any other. I reckon 1100 is roughly accurate.

Is that still a lot of guitars? Worldwide?
post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

i would be suprised to hear about ANY neons left in stock by years end.

having a DY and a BK on order (BK ordered just like Rich stated, to keep miles off my DY) i'm very excited!

interesting that the RG550 DY and RFR originals prices are thru the roof on the 'Bay. that's funny if you ask me!! people are trying to cash in on the hype and hey, more power to them if they find a sucker stupid enough to pay that kind of dough for a 20yr old axe when you can buy a new one for close to the prices i'm seeing some of the older ones go for. if it were a highly collectable and limited guitar that would be another story but 10's of thousands of those were made and were fairly common back in the day.

we'll have to see how the chips fall 6 mos, 1yr, 2yrs, ect from now and then find out if it was all "hype" over the new reissues.

i was niave thinking they would get the Prestige treatment on frets and ect. not a big dissapointment but still a bummer none the less. looks like i'll be spending some time on Rich's tech pages for fret-end finishing.

ok, so i just visited his tech pages and he has nothing on fret ends. i'll try project guitar unless someone has a link to the needed info. i'm sure there are some pieces of info that would be helpful in trying to DIY for a noob like myself on ball radiusing the fret ends.
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Dee

I wouldn't say you were naive at all for expecting the fret ends to be Prestige finished, after all, these RG's are classed as Prestige by Ibanez themselves, so that's what most of us expected. To be honest, I don't really care because I've played non-Prestige Wizards for two decades and they feel good to me. Prestige finished frets is a luxury, that's all.

As for dressing the frets yourself, Rich was talking about this yesterday in the main 20th thread, and it seems it's not so easy to do on a maple board. Rosewood is OK, so your BK should be fine. I never knew this until yesterday as I have never attempted it myself, but there ya go.

I think grabbing a BK is a good idea for a main player, especially because Rich is offering a little discount on them. I'm currently selling a ltd edition gold plated Technics turntable to finance a 7-string, so that should keep a few miles off my 550RF.

Tags
black pickguard , black pickups , clear coat , electric guitar , guitar mag , guitar shop , heavy metal , hoshino gakki , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks , pickup cover , playing guitar , prestige wizard , production model , road flare red , rosewood fingerboard , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode