New Old Git Day - Ibanez RG270 review and questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

New Old Git Day - Ibanez RG270 review and questions

Well to make a long story short, I just got me a used RG270 and have a few questions. If anyone cares to answer them I'd be most appreciative.

1. The serial number starts with C905XXXX. I assume this was built in Korea in 1990?

2. The input jack is a little loose. Should I just tighten it with a wrench? But when I do that, the cable gets hard to plug into it. Is there some secret way to fix this?

3. The pickup switch is a little scratchy when going to other positions. But weird thing is the noise stops after switching it up and down a little. Is this something I can just leave alone?

Comments:
I think this guitar was a closet queen as it's in pristine condition. I see nothing wrong with the bridge, and I'm just gonna use it like a standard Strat. I'm not going to use a whammy bar, and it seems to hold tune just fine, with just a locking nut and 3 springs in the back.

The pickups sound good to me, although the bridge pickup sounds a tiny bit sterile. What's a good replacement pickup, and can I replace just one? I actually like the neck pickup for jazz/blues. I don't use any other pickup combos, cuz they don't sound too good.

Sorry for the long post, but I love this guitar and want to keep it for awhile. I'll post pics tommorow... thanks.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: New Old Git Day - Ibanez RG270 review and questions

I'm not sure if they were building RG270s in Korea in 1990. I thought 94 was then they started building RGs there. I may very well be wrong though. Put some pictures up though. Does it have a square strat neck joint or all access neck joint?

Definitely tighten it enough so it stops being loose, but not so much that plugging in is too difficult.

The switch might need to be replaced. Just get another strat style five way and wire it in the same way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode