New Pickup too high...please help - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

New Pickup too high...please help

Hi, i have been reading that many rg 1570s are not able to accept larger pickups (EVO, Invader, etc.) Unfortunately, i have one that won't accept a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader pickup. I was just wondering what i can do to fix this (most likely routing), where i can get it done, and how much it would cost me. (I don't really want to just settle for another pickup, as i really wanted this particular one)

Also, is it possible to modify the pickup itself to accomidate the guitar? Example: Shoren the metal legs it stands on? I'll give you rough picture of what i mean...

(ignore dotted lines, i needed a placeholder)

-------________________
-------|--------------------| <-----Pickup
-------|_______________|
----__|--------------------|__ <-------Metal that comes down to screw into body

...try to change this ^ to below...

-------________________
-------|--------------------|
----__|_______________|__

You get the idea...shorten the legs. Or is this a bad idea? Any help is appreciated, and i thank you in advance.

Last edited by Force2BRW; 07-07-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Re: New Pickup too high...please help

Any tech can do it, you'd have to ask him what it would cost though.

Im sure a quick search would give you some ideas as to how other people have hendled this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Vendor

For a Steve's Specials you have to counter-rout the wood under the feet just enough to allow ample string clearance over the pickup. You can do it with a Dremel.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

can you use a power drill? or does it have to be a dremel? sorry for so many q's, but....will i need to redo the screws? will it mess up guitar for other pups? and does it take a lot of skill? Whew....thanks to whoever doesn't hate me for all the q's...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Vendor

You're not drilling a hole, you're routing a flat spot for the feet, although if you must I'm sure even a series of holes would do the job, if you don't mind doing a hack job.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

i know i'm not drilling a hole, but if you change the head of a power drill it can do other things besides just drill holes. and i was just wondering if i would have to drill the holes for the pup deeper.

p.s. has anyone done this? if so, did you get it done somewhere or did you do it yourself? I was just looking for a ballpark estimate...

Also, are 1570 pups adjustable after you put them in? or do you have to actually take them out and put them in again to adjust the pup height? the stock ones didn't really get higher when i turned the screw on the sides, and it seems like once you get it in, you cant change height without taking them out and trying again. thanks

Last edited by Force2BRW; 07-08-2008 at 06:14 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM

I didn't have to rout my 1570, but i've routed another guitar with a cheap Dremmel copy. Good results are easy with common sense and a bit of patience. Good luck.

Rock on!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM

A kit like this does the job really easy (it is really ahrd to screw it up).
Use the small cutter tool.
And it is a good tool to have for a lot of other guitar work too (polish frets and so on).

/magnus
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

that looks like a pretty nice kit...what's it called do you know? or is it just a basic kit? I'm going to stop by Home Depot soon and talk to some ppl there, so they should be able to answer some questions. thanks for everyones help! It doesn't seem like routing the guitar is that hard if you have an idea what your doing.

quick question, i just route the two sides where the pup screws in right? not the entire cut-out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force2BRW View Post
that looks like a pretty nice kit...what's it called do you know? or is it just a basic kit? I'm going to stop by Home Depot soon and talk to some ppl there, so they should be able to answer some questions. thanks for everyones help! It doesn't seem like routing the guitar is that hard if you have an idea what your doing.

quick question, i just route the two sides where the pup screws in right? not the entire cut-out.
I don't know what that specific model is called, but they have loads of different price versions in every "home tool" shop.

Take as much as you need.
I hade to deepen the whole area under the pickup (not where the feet’s go down) on the ones I had to change. Especially when installing a EVO 7 in a RG1527.
I think I have had to do routing on 3 out of 25-30 RG guitars.

Buy some electronic shielding paint at the same time to close the open wood (but any dark color will do, and also make it look better).

Good luck, but it should be now problem unless you have all your fingers in a cluster in the middle of your hand (putting some pressure here) :-)

/Magnus
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM

I changed the pickups of my 1570 and put an evo. The tech found this problem with my guitar and he shortened the legs of the pickup somehow (by bendig them)... I don't know how he did it but it worked.. so I think it possible..

Tags
1570 routing pickup high

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode